Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

As weird as this is to say, I think it's risk to drop Shelvey and expect Bruno to anchor the team and protect the defence by himself.

I know Shelvey isn't great but he forms a part of a midfield structure. It's very freestyle without someone like that. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Yeah, if Bruno were to come in I'd bring him in for Shelvey but I do have to admit I've liked Shelvey in that role in front of the back 4 under Howe in spite of his rashness. Howe has thus far gotten more work rate out of Shelvey since coming in. Tbh though, I can't see us changing the lineup from last night providing we haven't got any injuries.

I think Villa play 4-3-3? Will be interesting to go toe-to-toe. I feel like Everton's shape suited us yesterday, as well as them having a fairly soft midfield.

I'd start Bruno. Shelvey will be knackered after that and needs at least a week to recover.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

As weird as this is to say, I think it's risk to drop Shelvey and expect Bruno to anchor the team and protect the defence by himself. I know Shelvey isn't great but he forms a part of a midfield structure. It's very freestyle without someone like that. 

It is weird to say but I kind of agree with you. Shelvey’s basically playing as a midfield sweeper. Willock and Big Joe are the attack dogs that mostly press high. But there’s also an alternative phase play press where Willock and Joe sit in and Shelvey presses high by himself (ok he saunters forward, gets nowhere near the ball, then saunters back). 

Possible problem with Bruno sitting in is will Willock and Joe still feel able to press high given a new holding mid behind them? If one sits alongside him like in the formation a few posts up, it takes away the effectiveness of the double-high press from Willock and Big Joe

Interesting problems. I’m looking forward to learning the answer from Eddie in the upcoming games 

12 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Yeah, if Bruno were to come in I'd bring him in for Shelvey but I do have to admit I've liked Shelvey in that role in front of the back 4 under Howe in spite of his rashness. Howe has thus far gotten more work rate out of Shelvey since coming in. Tbh though, I can't see us changing the lineup from last night providing we haven't got any injuries.

I don't think I saw Shelvey doing his classic blowing out his ass look bent over with hands on his legs at all. Seem to be always moving like everyone else.

34 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

As weird as this is to say, I think it's risk to drop Shelvey and expect Bruno to anchor the team and protect the defence by himself.

I know Shelvey isn't great but he forms a part of a midfield structure. It's very freestyle without someone like that. 

I appreciate this point but I do think it will be a case of 'what the fuck was I on about?' once Bruno actually starts and we see how much of an improvement he is.

Edited by Dr Venkman

2 minutes ago, Collage said:

Bruno in for Willock imo

Not for me Jeff, Willock is a real threat and carries it forward really well, he also has a history of scoring goals which we really, really need. I think some are going to be shocked at how competent we look in all phases with Bruno and the Joe's in midfield. 

I still don't really understand what Shelvey actually does that's so special tbh, or what it is that Joelinton or Bruno couldn't also do.

He's just following instructions and acting as the pivot in the middle. He isn't pulling off especially great, penetrative passes and he's not that much of a threat from outside the box.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I still don't really understand what Shelvey actually does that's so special tbh, or what it is that Joelinton or Bruno couldn't also do.

He's just following instructions and acting as the pivot in the middle. He isn't pulling off especially great, penetrative passes and he's not that much of a threat from outside the box.

Agreed.

Bruno is better than all of our midfielders so no matter who is dropped we’ll improve anyway.

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He doesn't give the ball away much, I guess that's worth something.

2 hours ago, davedave said:

Any recommendations for a pre-game and post-game pub for a visiting NUFC fan for the Aston Villa game? What time do the pubs usually open on a Sunday before games?

Only been once and went to The Strawberry for a 3pm Saturday kickoff game. Wanted to see if there was something else I should experience!

Cheers.

Basically every pub is a pre-match pub. Those closer to the ground will be busier than those further away, obviously.

Newcastle Arms, Rosie’s and the Irish Centre are busy but ideal if you want to leave with 15/20 mins to kick off but will be packed. Gunner Tavern/Town Wall are bigger and will have fewer people in. Bodega and Tilleys get quite busy. All close to the station. Just avoid the Victoria Comet (aka the Spitting Vomit) if that’s where you want to go. Tends to attract away fans and locals who have a few screws loose.