West Ham United vs. Newcastle United: 19/02/2022 @ 12.30pm (BT)

LRD

5 minutes ago, Sima said:

Was thinking orthodox RB.  Obviously not as good defensively as Trippier but has the pace to recover and is better going forward than cheese slice.

Every chance we'll concede a goal down that side if Murphy plays as an orthodox RB. He's weak tackling and at the back post when it comes to defending, considering they'll be a threat in the air, would be a massive risk.

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

I have a feeling we may be looking at 3 at the back. I don't see him dropping Schar or Burn, but instead adding Lascelles to them. Under Rafa Lascelles always looked much better as part of a back 3 when he had the likes of Fernandez, Lejuene or Schar around him. Reckon it will be 3 at the back with Targett and Murphy as the wing backs. Joelinton and Shelvey in the middle and the usual 3 lads up top. 

I was thinking this.  I'm not really basing it on anything other than the amount they have played.  But there always seems to be a place in the side for Shelvey and Lascelles when they are fit.  When I don't always think they are necessarily worthy of starting.  Shelvey has been a lot better under Howe, of course.  But it does seem like manager's will always have their favourites and players they trust.   

I don't think he would go 3 at the back just so it means Lascelles plays.  But it would certainly feel like that, if it were the case.  As I certainly don't see how he starts ahead of Schar or Burn on all known form and probably ability, too. 

They seem strong in wide areas, Bowen and their full backs also pushing on in particular.  I'm not sure 3 at the back would help in this game.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Tend to think the opposite personally. The right hand side has effectively been a contained system of its own just recently, so maybe the most sensible thing to do is continue playing it's remaining 50% (Fraser), to assist Trippier's replacement in acclimatising to the role. 

It's the same with in-game subs. If there's ever a forced change, particularly to the backline, I think the default approach should be to remedy the issue by making as few changes as possible. Like, for eg, RB gets injured: "rather than bring shit RB on, let's move the current LB over to the right and bring a different LB on." It makes sense to some extent but, in that scenario, one change then becomes two and the continuity is basically lost. 

It's really a massive credit to Burn and Schar - and those who came on - that we kept a clean sheet last weekend despite significant upheaval to the defense mid-match. 

Aye I cannot really argue with that.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Tend to think the opposite personally. The right hand side has effectively been a contained system of its own just recently, so maybe the most sensible thing to do is continue playing it's remaining 50% (Fraser), to assist Trippier's replacement in acclimatising to the role. 

It's the same with in-game subs. If there's ever a forced change, particularly to the backline, I think the default approach should be to remedy the issue by making as few changes as possible. Like, for eg, RB gets injured: "rather than bring shit RB on, let's move the current LB over to the right and bring a different LB on." It makes sense to some extent but, in that scenario, one change then becomes two and the continuity is basically lost. 

It's really a massive credit to Burn and Schar - and those who came on - that we kept a clean sheet last weekend despite significant upheaval to the defense mid-match. 

I agree, don't disrupt more than necessary. Of course if your LB and LW aren't connecting then it might be considered.

I'm certain this game was pencilled in as his debut, after 30 mins against Villa where he could put himself into contention. Unfortunately he lost out on that opportunity and may have to wait. Could be a blessing, if we are losing. Ideally we will be a goal down and we'll come back after his introduction. I'm preparing myself for a draw at best from this game.

3 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

I have a feeling we may be looking at 3 at the back. I don't see him dropping Schar or Burn, but instead adding Lascelles to them. Under Rafa Lascelles always looked much better as part of a back 3 when he had the likes of Fernandez, Lejuene or Schar around him. Reckon it will be 3 at the back with Targett and Murphy as the wing backs. Joelinton and Shelvey in the middle and the usual 3 lads up top. 

Murphy would likely be the ideal [from options available] RWB to play that if we rest Fraser. Would mean bringing in Bruno and moving Joelinton to the right of the middle 3, but I think you could use Trippier's absence as justification for changing things wholesale. 

I'm fascinated to see his selection as we know it won't be unchanged. But we do have a lot of options.