West Ham United vs. Newcastle United: 19/02/2022 @ 12.30pm (BT)

LRD

The match will be won in midfield. Arguably they have the most effective midfield in the PL aside from City and Chelsea, so let’s see just how good Joelinton is (or is he banned?) if he’s not he needs to raise his game yet again. Targett behind him and ASM ahead give us an edge on that side, if he’s out Bruno will go straight in there.

Rice sits to the left, we need Willock to be as physical as he can with him.. unsettle their whole base.

I expect ASM to have a better game, it’s no coincidence his best game all season for us was when we had a competent left back on that side.

As others have said, this will be really tough.

As good as our midfield 3 have been, Rice will simply have too much pace, power and athleticism for Shelvey.

So for that reason, I'd like to see Eddie replace Shelvey with Bruno as Bruno offers more protection to the back 4 and recycles possession better.

I think Eddie will go with the same front 6 players though. Targett will rightly come in at LB and at RB it'll be Krafth if Trippier and Manquillo are both injured.

I'd like to see (4-3-3):

Dubravka 

Trippier/Manquillo/Krafth 

Schar

Burn

Targett 

Willock 

Bruno

Joelinton 

ASM

Wood

Fraser

But as stated, can't see Howe dropping Shelvey. I really hope he doesn't recall Lascelles though. It was refreshing to have two CB's so comfortable on the ball for a change.

At the moment we seem horrible to play against, niggly and a toe in here and there, just constintly disrupting, it's great. it'll be interesting to see it away and I expect Bruno to start for Willock, less pressure away from home etc.

There's no way he's dropping Burn. I could see him dropping Schar but that would be so harsh, and to be honest you can't come out and say he's not playing Bruno to keep lads in who are performing well then drop Schar.

Edited by Alberto2005

11 hours ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

As others have said, this will be really tough.

As good as our midfield 3 have been, Rice will simply have too much pace, power and athleticism for Shelvey.

So for that reason, I'd like to see Eddie replace Shelvey with Bruno as Bruno offers more protection to the back 4 and recycles possession better.

I think Eddie will go with the same front 6 players though. Targett will rightly come in at LB and at RB it'll be Krafth if Trippier and Manquillo are both injured.

I'd like to see (4-3-3):

Dubravka 

Trippier/Manquillo/Krafth 

Schar

Burn

Targett 

Willock 

Bruno

Joelinton 

ASM

Wood

Fraser

But as stated, can't see Howe dropping Shelvey. I really hope he doesn't recall Lascelles though. It was refreshing to have two CB's so comfortable on the ball for a change.

Tbf I thought Coutinho and Ramsey would rip Shelvey to ribbons but we completely nullified the pair of them. Howe knows what he's doing. 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

21 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Tbf I thought Coutinho and Ramsey would rip Shelvey to ribbons but we completely nullified the pair of them. Howe knows what he's doing. 

Absolutely Howe knows what he's doing.

But to compare Rice to Ramsey and Coutinho is a weird comparison.

Rice is all about pace, power and athleticism. Basically everything Coutinho isn't.

To combat that, I think this is the game to bring Bruno in from the start even though our midfield 3 have performed well lately. I don't think Howe will change it though and I get why given recent performances.

4 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Absolutely Howe knows what he's doing.

But to compare Rice to Ramsey and Coutinho is a weird comparison.

Rice is all about pace, power and athleticism. Basically everything Coutinho isn't.

To combat that, I think this is the game to bring Bruno in from the start even though our midfield 3 have performed well lately. I don't think Howe will change it though and I get why given recent performances.

Rice isn’t particularly quick, he has a good engine on him and athleticism, but he’s not quick.

I was disappointed with Coutinho yesterday mind, you wouldn’t have known he was on the pitch!

Edited by HTT II

Surely even those that hate Shelvey can see he shouldn't be dropped unless he's not fit. Plus Rice and Shelvey wouldn't be a direct head to head, his job defensively would me more against Lanzini or whoever plays middle of their attacking 3. 

Edited by M1tche

To be honest I would have thought Lascelles will come in for this one to deal with the man-monster number nine they have. Also, Schar will be pretty sore I imagine as he took a right knock on saturday.

I am praying manquillo is back as Krafth is very much a weak link in our team.

I would go with:

-------------------Dubs----------------------

Manq------Lascelles-------Burn-------Target

----Willock---------Bruno---------Joe-------

Fraser------------Wood---------------ASM

21 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I was disappointed with Coutinho yesterday mine, you wouldn’t have know he was on the pitch!

There was a moment second half I thought he started to come alive but then he went quiet again, thankfully.

14 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

He looked pretty pacey yesterday too. 

He’s not slow, but he’s not explosive, I think because he has two good feet and quick feet too, plus large strides, he can carry the ball and make it seem effortless. I’ve seen him track back huffing and puffing a few times for WHU and England off the ball. He’s a big threat still and can be a formidable opponent for anyone in there to deal with. 

27 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Surely even those that hate Shelvey can see he shouldn't be dropped unless he's not fit. Plus Rice and Shelvey wouldn't be a direct head to head, his job defensively would me more against Lanzini or whoever plays middle of their attacking 3. 

Some of us can!

Back in the toon for this one, although my train has fucked me and I’m going to miss the first half. Where’s the closest place to the central station showing the match? Couldn’t care less anything else about the pub, just the closest one