West Ham United vs. Newcastle United: 19/02/2022 @ 12.30pm (BT)

LRD

I actually think it's a good time to play them.  They have been a bit flakey just of late and we appear to be improving.  I'm predicting at least a draw but we could easily come away with three points. Come on!

4 minutes ago, Rod said:

I actually think it's a good time to play them.  They have been a bit flakey just of late and we appear to be improving.  I'm predicting at least a draw but we could easily come away with three points. Come on!

I agree. They're not going through the best of times as a club, and we have some momentum. If we can keep it level for an hour or so, I'd fancy to do them on the break. 

8 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Good question, but I honestly believe that the team will be more balanced and better with him in it. Personally though it seems harsh, it would be Shelvey currently, as although Joelington becomes an absolute mess in the last third, he puts more pressure onto the opposing midfield. Willock is the one player who we need to get into the box, and that's the only reason also I would play him before Shelvey. 

I think in the long run Bruno is here to perform a similar role to the one Shelvey currently does. With more intense pressing and less red card inviting random lunges. However that's likely next season when he will more than likely have a solid/good CDM alongside him (someone like a Bissouma for example). Think Howe would ideally like to play a system that looks more like a 4-2-3-1 than the 4-3-3 we seem to have found a groove with recently. You can see a shadow of that now when we attack, often times these past few games when we go forward its been Willock who has been up closest to Wood. 

But yeah, the immediate problem is the midfield is currently performing so well it's hard to drop any of them. As much as I never thought I'd be saying this a few weeks ago, but I honestly think they all have to remain in place for West Ham. If we lose, or don't perform to the standards we have been recently, its then easier to look at making a change for Brentford the following week.  

Just looking at this lots most recent form:

Leicester 2-2 West Ham 

West Ham 1-0 Watford 

Man United 1-0 West Ham 

West Ham 2-3 Leeds 

West Ham 2-0 Norwich 

It's indifferent, with Soucek, Fornals and Antonio all looking in need of a rest. That's not to say that they won't be dangerous, particularly with Bowen in superb form, but it's more encouraging than their early season form.

Our work off the ball seems to be cutting a lot of the quality down from the opposition, I still think the likes of Liverpool and City will be too strong for us, but the rest of the league I'm not too scared of tbh. No that I think we'll deffinitely get points here, or from anyone else, just even with a subpar squad I think Howe is capable of making teams with more quality than us look shite. 

3 minutes ago, Paully said:

We’re supposed to be on the train Friday afternoon - not looking good FFS

It's supposed to snow all day Friday and I've got to get to St James Park for 4.30am on Saturday morning to get on the coach down to West ham. Hope the gritters are out otherwise I might not make it.

Edited by Scoot

Bib theory: Murphy at RWB.

Dubravka 

Schar     Lascelles    Burn

Murphy                                       Targett 

Shelvey

Joelinton 

Fraser                                 ASM 

Wood

(I know bib theory is bullshit BTW.

Edited by STM

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Going even further back, they've actually only won four of their last ten (Watford twice, Norwich and Palace), dropping point to Burnley, Southampton and Leeds.

We can't and won't get carried away, but we shouldn't be scared of these.

They were in great form earlier in the year, now not so much.

4 hours ago, Scoot said:

It's supposed to snow all day Friday and I've got to get to St James Park for 4.30am on Saturday morning to get on the coach down to West ham. Hope the gritters are out otherwise I might not make it.

The gritters have been pretty good so far with any forecast lower temps - at least from what ive seen in NE6.

Four of our last five have been at home, so it'll be interesting to see what the lads can do without Trippier and the home fans pushing the team on.

Leeds aside, our previous away game was the 0-4 at Citeh, a full two months ago.

So long as we compete and don't look easy to beat, I'll be happy. The away game to target is next week at Brentford. 

7 hours ago, Scoot said:

Snow? What is that?

Snow is so very rare in Newcastle these days, been the same for many years.

Edited by manorpark

Wouldn’t like to say it’s a good time to play these, indifferent results or not, these lot are levels up compared to Leeds, Everton and Villa so we will need to raise our game to stand a chance.

Bruno will have trained a good bit now and the efforts we’ve put in recently, maybe a shake up is needed.

4-5-1 with ASM and Willock playing wide, Bruno, Joelinton and Shelvey in the middle. Leave the back alone, Burn did enough to ensure Lascelles misses out.