Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I've been here before with Shearer tbh, I know he was a great player, just don't think we saw the best of him. He needed a different type of service to be at full effectiveness, I know Man U fans who said if he'd been at Old Trafford he'd have really shone. I think it's because he was a great striker playing with too many ordinary players at Newcastle. We had some really good players but not a great team for a lot of the years he was here.

Basically, you are saying if we weren't so shite he would have scored more goals? Hardly ground breaking stuff.

He's the greatest PL striker and we should be proud of him.

His opinions on Bruce and football in general are AIDS though.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Basically, you are saying if we weren't so shite he would have scored more goals? Hardly ground breaking stuff.

He's the greatest PL striker and we should be proud of him.

His opinions on Bruce and football in general are AIDS though.

It's just my personal opinion but I actually hero worshipped Andy Cole more than Shearer. Maybe it was just the way he scored his goals. Shearer scored loads, but he didn't get as many from open play, and I always thought with us having a shitter team for his latter years we'd have been better served with a more pacy striker. That's not a criticism of Shearer, it's a bit like when you don't have a good team, you need one man band types like Maxi to produce goals from nowhere.

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's just my personal opinion but I actually hero worshipped Andy Cole more than Shearer. Maybe it was just the way he scored his goals. Shearer scored loads, but he didn't get as many from open play, and I always thought with us having a shitter team for his latter years we'd have been better served with a more pacy striker. That's not a criticism of Shearer, it's a bit like when you don't have a good team, you need one man band types like Maxi to produce goals from nowhere.

Wut? Am I not reading this right? Shearer scored 45 penalties for us out of his 206. Cole ‘only’ scored 55 goals in total. 

I agree that Shearer doesn't have the best footy opinions, I'm glad he didn't become a manager as no doubt he would have been a PFM, no better than a Roy Keane type.  Even when I watch the MOTD Top 10 stuff that he does with Gary Lineker and Micah Richards, it's decent banter etc, but don't always agree with his thoughts. 

As a striker though, awesome, fearsome, top tier. Truly a couple of sliding doors moment if SBR had come after Keegan instead, and had he not got that horrible 1997 injury to see what those extra couple of seasons would have done for him here in his Blackburn form. 

7 hours ago, Foluwashola said:

As with Bobby & Keegan, a bad word against him should be an immediate ban tbh. 

Not when he’s spouting shite about Bruce

7 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

I agree that Shearer doesn't have the best footy opinions, I'm glad he didn't become a manager as no doubt he would have been a PFM, no better than a Roy Keane type.  Even when I watch the MOTD Top 10 stuff that he does with Gary Lineker and Micah Richards, it's decent banter etc, but don't always agree with his thoughts. 

As a striker though, awesome, fearsome, top tier. Truly a couple of sliding doors moment if SBR had come after Keegan instead, and had he not got that horrible 1997 injury to see what those extra couple of seasons would have done for him here in his Blackburn form. 

Dalglish came in after Keegan, I would say with Shearer having a big say in it since they had a great relationship from their Blackburn days.

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Shearer's just not a very bright guy off the field, and has very much turned into 'one of the boys' since his retirement. 

It's the only thing that seems to keep some of the ex-pro spunk Muppets 'in' the game these days - see Jenas, Micah fucking Richards, Redknapp, Danny Murphy and Agbonlahor. Know the right people to say nice things about, have a bit of 'bants' with another 'tv fav' pundit and your job is safe. Savage and Sutton a case in point. Neither have anything to offer in the world of professional sport punditry in 2022.

Edited by toon25

Periodically, such as after reading Shearer’s tripe, I rage about the cushy ride Steve Bruce has enjoyed throughout his career. The man has managed 12 football clubs and is despised by the fans of 11. Almost enough for HITC Sevens to do two episodes on “Clubs Steve Bruce has trashed”. (That HITC Sevens is run by a fan of that one other club is why we won’t see it there…)

This three or four at the back bullshit he’s doing with West Brom and with us is a prime example: firstly, he only thinks “four defenders good, three defenders bad” because Fergie and the 19-fucking-90s. And secondly, his whole “can’t make four work because players” has been utterly punctured by Eddie Howe very quickly and efficiently using much the same players to do so.

Every word that comes out of this cunts pie hole is utter tosh, yet he’s been getting away with it for more than twenty years. It’s enraging even though he should be firmly in my rear view mirror…

Shearer was a legendary player but as with most footballers of that era are rumoured to  be dickhead-ish in the real world. 

But I suppose defending one of your good mates is to be expected. Even if the truth is in plain site. (Unless it’s nonce related obviously)

Bruce will be absolutely gutted. He will have been hoping for a big pay off end of the season then another juicy contract with another club for next year. Now he might actually need to try and at least pretend he is doing his job until he gets sacked before Xmas. 

“We want West Bromwich to be at the top end of the division, not the bottom end and unfortunately we’ve been in the bottom half of the division once or twice in the past few weeks. To improve on that is the key to it and I let other people judge that. We’ve got to take this run of good form into next season now, and push on for those promotion places. There are some good teams in this division, and teams who can go and spend more than we can, but I’m confident that when the players finally adjust to my way of playing (and that’ll take time, no doubt about it), then we’ll be a force to be reckoned with. These things don’t just happen overnight though. Just look at that fella from Bournemouth. It took him a while to get going, and he had to spend £100m…”

He has all summer to make his excuses for next year. Had Gomer Pyle still been here as our manager I am sure we would be close to relegation. I genuinely feel sorry for WBA fans as I think they are a decent club with good fans.