Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

I hate his guts for what he did to the entertainers team and that will never change.

got us organised and ground out results to get us into the champions league.

should have just left after that.

Edited by huss9

Just now, huss9 said:

got us organised and ground out results to get us into the champions league.

should have just left after that.

Agree with that. But remember he got to 2nd with the entertainers team, not his rag tag bunch of decaying Liverpool corpses.

I don’t dislike Gullit at all. Sure, he managed it poorly here but it was quite a short stint. I always liked him as a player and he doesn’t seem to hold any grudges towards NUFC. Him and Shearer made up as well iirc.

Read interviews/books from anybody who Gullit managed with us and they all say the same thing. He was arrogant and nowhere near as good as he thought he was. At least with hindsight he has realised the error of his ways.

Dalglish I have a degree of sympathy, behind the scenes the club was a bit of a state. The books needed balancing and he was obviously very unlucky with the Shearer/Ferdinand timing. Keegan had abolished the reserves so that was less than ideal too. Tomasson went on to have a fantastic career but again suffered from the lack of Shearer (or Les). I wish he hadn’t disbanded the entertainers but I can at least see what he was trying to do.

The same with Dalglish. Did poorly overall, but the ones I dislike/”hate” are the ones that never should have got the job in the first place, talked a lot of shite and served shite football, like Pardew, Souness, Carver and Bruce.

Edited by Collage

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Allardyce, Bruce and Souness are by far the worst ,all cut from the same cloth , always have digs at Newcastle and have delusions way above their station.

Carver, McClaren and Gullit were out their depth big time but don’t seem to hold any grudge towards Newcastle and Gullit gets respect for quitting when he could have held out for his payoff .

Dalglish, was awful and I really dislike him , ruined the second best team in the country  and gave all his mates a final payday ,hate all that King Kenny bollocks from the Liverpool fans as well.

Shearer hardly worth mentioning in manager terms as that team was down whoever took over .

Roeder was a nice guy and did a decent enough job.

Pardew, 5th, 16th, 10th and left us in like 9th wasn’t it ? Yeah he was an awful person but he did a better job than any of the other managers we had under Ashley .

Hughton did well in difficult circumstances .

Benitez is loved for his politics and going against Ashley , job he did football wise was ok but nothing special and the football was crap to watch .  Was glad he never came back when the takeover happened and we would be nowhere near as good as we are now if he had.

Adore Robson and Keegan and obviously don’t need to explain why. Same goes with Eddie and I wouldn’t swap him for any other manager in the league .

Agree with a lot of what you wrote there, but giving Pardew credit for those 5th, 16th, 10th, 9th positions is classic stat-padding. I doubt he even knew half of the players that were signed for him, probably the only one he took credit for was Obertan. He was the first and iconic manager who could be described as a fraud IMO. Where is he now?

Would love to read an interview with Dalglish on his time here. Fascinated with it, and why it so badly so quickly in 1997-98 after doing well with Keegan's side in the second half of 1996-97. 

One for those who were actually alive at the time :lol: but surely he was the most logical appointment to make after Keegan left? Only manager apart from Ferguson to win the title, worked with Shearer and Batty at Blackburn when they won the league, his successes at Liverpool, the romantics about succeeding Keegan as a manager like he did at Liverpool as player etc.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Would love to read an interview with Dalglish on his time here. Fascinated with it, and why it so badly so quickly in 1997-98 after doing well with Keegan's side in the second half of 1996-97. 

One for those who were actually alive at the time :lol: but surely he was the most logical appointment to make after Keegan left? Only manager apart from Ferguson to win the title, worked with Shearer and Batty at Blackburn when they won the league, his successes at Liverpool, the romantics about succeeding Keegan as a manager like he did at Liverpool as player etc.

Aye.  On paper it was a sound appointment.  I genuinely thought he’d win us the league.  As did everyone else I’d imagine.

38 minutes ago, Away Day Gadgie said:

Aye.  On paper it was a sound appointment.  I genuinely thought he’d win us the league.  As did everyone else I’d imagine.

Really ? I've defended Dalglish on here a bit but too many players were coming to their end. It was a squad in need of rebuilding and the money wasn't there, its why Keegan left really. Never thought we'd win the league, thought we'd be in Europe spots though.

On 12/10/2022 at 06:21, Dr.Spaceman said:

MOST HATED

Pardew

HATE

Bruce

Dalglish

Pardew

Kinnear

Carver

Allardyce

Souness

McClaren

Gullitt

DISLIKE/DISGUST

APATHY

FONDNESS

Hughton

Roeder

Shearer

Rafa

ADORE

Keegan

Howe

MOST ADORED

Robson

SBR pips Keegan for me due to KK scrapping the reserves plus KK coming back was just a weird period that we didn't need.

'HATE'

Bruce

Pardew

DISLIKE

Carver

Allardyce

APATHY

McClaren

Dalglish (as Newcastle manager. Fondness overall as a Scotland fan and looking back on him and Shearer together at Blackburn. Also despite his failure, his association with Barca 3-2 and FA Cup final lifts him somewhat)

Gullitt

Kinnear

Souness - massive failure but don't really dislike him for some reason, maybe partly cos I'm a Scotland fan.

FONDNESS

Roeder

REALLY LIKE

Rafa

Hughton

Howe

PURE ADORE

Bobby

Keegan

Edited by Inferior Acuña

8 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Agree with that. But remember he got to 2nd with the entertainers team, not his rag tag bunch of decaying Liverpool corpses.

I dont get it either. Even if he had to "balance the books" a bit, sit seems that he was just hell bent of ripping up Keegans team and to take all the excitement out.  It looks such an easy option just to tweek and freshen up few things and go for the title again.  So many times in the teams history we've been going places and then just rip it all apart. It happened for example with Souness after all the work Sir Bobby had done,  and seems to have happened after the 83-84 promotion season.

In just year and a half Dalglish went from this:

First Game against Charlton 15.1.1997
Hislop
Albert (Elliot 51')
Peacock
Watson (Barton 53')
Beresford
Batty
Clark
Gillespie
Ginola (Ferdinand 99')
Beardsley
Shearer

To this:

His Last game against Chelsea 22.8.1998
Given
Pearce
Dabizas
Pistone (Solano 67')
Charvet
Speed
Lee
Hamann
Watson
Shearer
Anderson (Albert 67')

Guest reefatoon
18 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Allardyce was horrific...he came here on the basis of expecting to be able to spend big money on players, but totally lacked the awareness that Shepherd appointed him purely on the basis that he built a decent Bolton team on next to nothing and was hoping for the same.

Apart from his first game in charge the football was the most depressing and bland I've ever known...at least a shocking performance gives us something to talk about, but what he served up was 90 minutes of boredom and usually defeat which would make anyone not want to watch football again let alone us.

I stopped going and gave up my season ticket under Allardyce’s watch. Can’t  stand the fucking twat. Him and Bruce, closely followed by Souness are the three I hate the most. Every one a self obsessed horrible cunt. 

7 hours ago, madras said:

Really ? I've defended Dalglish on here a bit but too many players were coming to their end. It was a squad in need of rebuilding and the money wasn't there, its why Keegan left really. Never thought we'd win the league, thought we'd be in Europe spots though.

Aye I've mentioned it before, we got our money back for Ferdinand for example when he was hitting 30. He started getting a lot of injuries, never played more than 30 league games in a season after us and his best scoring season was 6 years later at Leicester with 12. Only hit 10 one other time.

2 hours ago, soyt said:

I dont get it either. Even if he had to "balance the books" a bit, sit seems that he was just hell bent of ripping up Keegans team and to take all the excitement out.  It looks such an easy option just to tweek and freshen up few things and go for the title again.  So many times in the teams history we've been going places and then just rip it all apart. It happened for example with Souness after all the work Sir Bobby had done,  and seems to have happened after the 83-84 promotion season.

In just year and a half Dalglish went from this:

First Game against Charlton 15.1.1997
Hislop
Albert (Elliot 51')
Peacock
Watson (Barton 53')
Beresford
Batty
Clark
Gillespie
Ginola (Ferdinand 99')
Beardsley
Shearer

To this:

His Last game against Chelsea 22.8.1998
Given
Pearce
Dabizas
Pistone (Solano 67')
Charvet
Speed
Lee
Hamann
Watson
Shearer
Anderson (Albert 67')

I don't think Dalglish had much choice in Ginola, Ferdinand and Batty leaving and although he made some shocking buys too, Given, Speed, Solano and Haman (and to a lesser extent Dabizas) were fantastic singings.

Keegan wanted to leave because he could see what was coming with the floatation of the club, which was effectively been run by a banker called Mark Corbridge, and Keegan was effectively sacked rather than let him finish out the 96/97 season. The name Corbridge should really be down there with the likes of Ashley, Wise, Llambias and Jimenez.

Edited by Jackie Broon

7 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

I don't think Dalglish had much choice in Ginola, Ferdinand and Batty leaving and although he made some shocking buys too, Given, Speed, Solano and Haman (and to a lesser extent Dabizas) were fantastic singings.

Dalglish dropped and fell out with Ginola and obviously couldn't stand flair players and Gullit sold Batty. But Ferdinand yes. Though there is no defence for his attempts at replacing Ferdinand, for more money, with Andersson and Guivarch.

Don't disagree with the estimation of the good signings but feel it has to be said again that Solano never played for him, Hamman played three times and Speed never played well under him. The latter weren't finds or anything.

He'd a lot more money than people think. Easily in the top few in the league and we dropped from title challenges to having a relegation 6pointer against Barnsley at Easter. Undefendable for me.

Edited by Jonas

17 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Sir Bobby was the first choice, the perfect choice and fair play to the club that's what they went for.

Dalglish made sense but I personally hated Blackburn. They were the Man City (outbid Man United for players, broke the transfer record twice, this Leicester were like Blackburn is extremely revisionist) of the day and I resented on top that they played really dull negative football. Though they did win a lot.

I expected Ginola out Pires/Collins in, Pav out Flowers in, and defenders like Colin Hendry. Tino would be gone. Pragmatic stuff like that.

Would have been a bitter pill to swallow but if it took us that extra step so be it but it was so fine a margin. 

I was predisposed to not wanting him for those reasons, doubted it would work because of the brand of football, and didn't go to his unveiling when a mate suggested it (would have been hypocritical) but didn't expect even in my worst nightmares the failure that followed.

Kinnear was a dark horse at the time mind, after doing really well at Wimbledon. Brian Little, Arie Haan and Johan Cruyff.  Didn't see anything but Sir Bobby working so he wasn't a bad choice. His media mates pushed for him too. Our first taste of that.

Edited by Jonas

23 hours ago, TRon said:

Agree with a lot of what you wrote there, but giving Pardew credit for those 5th, 16th, 10th, 9th positions is classic stat-padding. I doubt he even knew half of the players that were signed for him, probably the only one he took credit for was Obertan. He was the first and iconic manager who could be described as a fraud IMO. Where is he now?

I very clearly remember that we got 5th in spite of CockPissPardew. Every game, he would make the worst subs or no subs, negative tactics and shackled our talent.

Tiote, Colo, Cabaye, Ba, HBA and Cisse came together by chance and carried that season through talent alone. In the background of Man Utd nearly winning that year with an awful squad, a 'just about good enough' Man City and Arsenal and Liverpool fumbling along. It was a very weak league at the time.

Imagine what Howe could have done with those players. 

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

7 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Dalglish's patter in defeat was on a par with McClaren's stupid grin in defeat, fucking infuriating

Remember we got booed off after drawing 0-0 with Derby, first time in years that had happened. Fans were getting testy with the boring football and the media brought it up, which I was glad about, put a bit of pressure on the manager and the club. Dalglish claimed for some reason that we were actually booing Eranio who had been sent-off about 10' from time. Was infuriating after years of Keegan's honesty.

5 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Every time it was 'proud of the effort of my lads', no matter how grim the performance was,it used to drive me mental

'all you can ask' 'cant ask any more' 'cant question their effort'

20 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

'HATE'

Bruce

Pardew

DISLIKE

Carver

Allardyce

APATHY

McClaren

Dalglish (as Newcastle manager. Fondness overall as a Scotland fan and looking back on him and Shearer together at Blackburn. Also despite his failure, his association with Barca 3-2 and FA Cup final lifts him somewhat)

Gullitt

Kinnear

Souness - massive failure but don't really dislike him for some reason, maybe partly cos I'm a Scotland fan.

FONDNESS

Roeder

REALLY LIKE

Rafa

Hughton

Howe

PURE ADORE

Bobby

Keegan

I’m Scottish and despise souness. He talks shit about us every chance he gets 

28 minutes ago, gdm said:

I’m Scottish and despise souness. He talks shit about us every chance he gets 

I retro hate him. Both he and Dalglish were managers when I got into football but when I see old stuff of Dalglish, like him generally, I'm minded to like him. Whilst when I see old footage of Souness trying to snap Hibs and Steaua Bucharest players legs in half like the c*nt that he always has been, I hate him even more.