British media

OpenC

Maitlis and Sopel off to LBC apparently. No great loss there in all honesty but I do wonder if these people ever listen to, for example, a once great journalist like Eddie Mair on LBC and think about how relatively crappy he sounds now before they sign up

Thought we could do with a separate thread for interesting UK media stories given how much we end up talking about it in other threads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Maitlis has been looking for a way out since the ticking off she got over the Cummings business. It must be exhausting working for the BBC in the social media age for fear of sanction if you offer an opinion on anything at all.

17 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Thought we could do with a separate thread for interesting UK media stories given how much we end up talking about it in other threads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Maitlis has been looking for a way out since the ticking off she got over the Cummings business. It must be exhausting working for the BBC in the social media age for fear of sanction if you offer an opinion on anything at all.

Especially now she's got her career moment with Prince Noncey.

Its only appeal is its license to be partisan, I reckon. You can find somebody telling you what you want to hear on any subject if you time it right, but to a man and woman the presenters seem to be condescending, prickly and thin-skinned. Maybe it's in the brief to be so, but for a station that claims to offer balance I very rarely hear any.

It just makes me appreciate Radio 4 even more, and thankfully it's all but impossible to pick up LBC in the hinterlands between Alnwick, Rothbury and Morpeth so I don't get to hear it that often, even if I wanted to :lol:

Edited by OpenC

More money for less work and more autonomy of what you're producing I'd suspect but LBC always appeared to me to be aimed at a less blowhard audience than Talkradio but still gasping to be angry at whatever.