Newcastle United 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion (05/03/2022)

Yorkie

Just now, Mountain said:

I don't disagree but I though Joelinton's work rate and impact was a level above Shelvey and Willock.

Yeah, said the same in the Joelinton thread. He was the only one getting close to the opposition.

Just now, Mountain said:

Wood is a hard one as since he's come we've won loads of games. So have we won in spite of him, or has he contributed. I like him but you can't ignore he's been toothless and has lacked dynamism.

But Conjo is right, he did really well with his hold up and through ball for that first goal. This was a decent performance compared to others where we have had much more of the ball.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

He showed some real quality for our first goal doing all of the things you say he can't do.

He has zero assists and zero goals in seven games. I’m not saying he can’t do it, he just isn’t good at it.

First half was excellent, second was duff. 

Our run has been amazing but today was a good reminder that it's been more about playing out of our skins and that we still have a squad a bit light on quality and who will tire and make mistakes. What Howe's done is give that group the belief and spine to not let their inevitable mistakes get to them. Persevered for a win and I can't argue with that. No one was godawful overall, though they may have had spells of not-so-goodness.

Edited by thomas

14 minutes ago, Mountain said:

It was something that nobody else in our squad would try to execute, or perhaps even could execute. Maybe Shelvey on one of his few good days or Big Joe if the stars aligned.

Yeah, Bruno is the sort of player who’ll take us up a level 

16 minutes ago, sixx said:

Great win but we let them have way too much of the ball. None of the midfield three had a good game so no excuse not to start Bruno agaist Southampton.

Fraser was great and Schar to an extent too. On a negative note - Wood is an absolute travesty of a footballer. Offers nothing. Actually can’t remember him even being close to scoring a goal since he came and his hold up and link up play is not good. Can’t wait to see us with a proper striker.

Wood isnt that bad, did you see his play for the first goal??

Brighton are a really well structured side. Made it hard for us. But hats off to Howe again. The set up nullified their possession on the whole. 

that would have been a humping in the dark days of bacon and big trousers. 

24 minutes ago, Beren said:

Agree with this entirely. He represents the next evolution of this team, the confidence to keep the ball when the opposition goes into swarm mode, and punish them.

Shelley did well but he really did look knacked at the end.

Imagine adding another three (or more please...) with the composure and class of Bruno and Tripps in the summer :frantic:

This was probably our hardest game of the run so far.

Brighton are very good in possession and if we'd come out and tried to match them I think we'd have been picked off. For all the possession they had I don't think they caused us any major issues in open play. Their system isn't great against a low block and that's exacerbated by the fact they don't really have a striker with presence. I thought things got slightly nervier when Maupay came on as it added another body in attack, but I was surprised to see Potter wait so long to throw one of Dunk/Duffy up there as they had us pinned in for the last 20-ish minutes. Given how good our midfield looked today I think we saw its limitations, but the fact we held on is massive and should give us more confidence moving into this tricky run.