Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, macphisto said:

You might not get to elect but you do get to reject potential owners. 

No they don't.  I don't see what veto fans have?

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, macphisto said:

You might not get to elect but you do get to reject potential owners. 

Fans did that by not going, not buying tops or anything, but that’s a poor reflection on Ashley and the game not the fans (I know that’s not what you’re saying) and sad that supporters feel compelled to boycott their club because of a shitty owner when we have no real say in who comes and buys our club…

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

No you are correct, but as long as the fans don't have a say in ownership they don't ultimately have  a choice. We could have done every protest/boycott under the sun, but as long as he had they keys there was no real way to force a change in owner.

Yes we could have made it more uncomfortable for him, but all he'd have had to have done to avoid that is stay off social media, and not read the papers. End of the day cold hard cash forced his sale, nothing in the media, nothing in Twitter, Facebook or anything like that

I'm convinced if we had of had mass boycotts at one or two games, drastically reduced season tickets then he would have gone much sooner. I guess we'll never know but I highly doubt Scousers or Glaswegians would have put up with Ashley like we did. As I say we'll never know.

Guest HTT II
Just now, macphisto said:

I'm convinced if we had of had mass boycotts at one or two games, drastically reduced season tickets then he would have gone much sooner. I guess we'll never know but I highly doubt Scousers or Glaswegians would have put up with Ashley like we did. As I say we'll never know.

That’s a fair statement, in the way Sack Pardew eventually told him to leave, but again Ashley could easily sit it out which he did in reality until he got an offer he couldn’t refuse! And here we are, da richest club in da worldz!

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

No they don't.  I don't see what veto fans have?

You think if there was mass hostility to the Saudi's that they would have still taken us over?

To be clear I'm not saying I'm against the Saudis as I was over the moon when they took us over but if the vast majority of fans were hostile to the takeover then I don't think it would have gone through.

Guest HTT II

You think if there was mass hostility to the Saudi's that they would have still taken us over?

To be clear I'm not saying I'm against the Saudis as I was over the moon when they took us over but if the vast majority of fans were hostile to the takeover then I don't think it would have gone through.

But there wasn’t and that’s opposing a would be new owner, not an incumbent one, if we wanted them out tomorrow we have zero chance, same with Ashley.

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve tried with Gateshead and been to more home and away games watching them in the last decade probably than I have NUFC (not many, that tells you how little I’ve been present at a NUFC match), and although the craic is great, the football isn’t and it’s hard to just stop showing an interest in a club that’s been basically injected into your veins from birth or earlier on in your life as a kid and will likely always remain your club/team until death, whether you go or not or care any more much.

100% get where you're coming from. I tried to completely stop following football completely after Carroll was sold but it was there at the back of your mind. That's why I'm so pleased to have new ownership as it feels like I've discovered a new sport! I could never follow another team, just wouldn't be the same.

Chelsea will be sold by the end of the month and normal service will resume. I don't see this hurting Chelsea more than a mild inconvenience until the club gets sold. 

Will just speed up the sale, which will of course sail through the ownership test in record time.

Guest HTT II

100% get where you're coming from. I tried to completely stop following football completely after Carroll was sold but it was there at the back of your mind. That's why I'm so pleased to have new ownership as it feels like I've discovered a new sport! I could never follow another team, just wouldn't be the same.

I went mainly because loads of pals jumped ship and to be fair to them, they have stuck with Gateshead and some of them influential in saving the club. I have a saying, ‘Wa Newcastle, but ‘Wa quite like Gateshead, and always will.

Just now, toontownman said:

Chelsea will be sold by the end of the month and normal service will resume. I don't see this hurting Chelsea more than a mild inconvenience until the club gets sold. 

Will just speed up the sale, which will of course sail through the ownership test in record time.

Aye more I read then this is what's gonna happen isn't it

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

That’s a fair statement, in the way Sack Pardew eventually told him to leave, but again Ashley could easily sit it out which he did in reality until he got an offer he couldn’t refuse! And here we are, da richest club in da worldz!

I wonder how much the decision at the time to give away 10,000 tickets played a part in Ashley selling up within a few years?

Guest HTT II

I wonder how much the decision at the time to give away 10,000 tickets played a part in Ashley selling up within a few years?

False economy long run, look at the mackems, he didn’t want a stadium with loads of empty seats and that was why fans should have stopped going on mass as it would have had him out years and years before he himself sold up, which he did for the money not because of any flack.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Talk about governance of the game, I would be very wary if Chelsea get taken over by American owners. I think you could virtually guarantee the European Superleague within a few years. 

Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea under American ownership would lead to big changes in the game. Not sure what exactly but it would all be about consolidating their power and maximising their income to the detriment of every other club.

As long as Saudi dont attack a white european country, UK government would do nothing about NUFC's ownership.

So, for anyone who worried that this thing that happen to Chelsea could happen to NUFC: relax it wont! Because as "barbaric" as the Saudi's are, they're not stupid. Clearly not stupid enough to attack white european country anywhere in the future.

For anyone waiting enthusiastically, keep waiting... maybe your hope of fans ownership or whatever could happen in world dominated by capitalist ideology.

Just now, veriaqa said:

As long as Saudi dont attack a white european country, UK government would do nothing about NUFC's ownership.

So, for anyone who worried that this thing that happen to Chelsea could happen to NUFC: relax it wont! Because as "barbaric" as the Saudi's are, they're not stupid. Clearly not stupid enough to attack white european country anywhere in the future.

For anyone waiting enthusiastically, keep waiting... maybe your hope of fans ownership or whatever could happen in world dominated by capitalist ideology.

Here he is 

Guest HTT II

They have no reason to attack a European nation, their issues are much like with Russia with Ukraine when it comes to Yemen, legitimate or not (in their eyes or the eyes of others). We side with SA because of our business deals and because we want to keep the Middle East in the hands of an ally, or several. Russia has never really been an ally, nor has Ukraine, but it’s about the other border nations and of course NATO and the EU. Ideally we wouldn’t trade with any corrupt country that deals in war, human atrocities and I certainly don’t like it, but I’m just a mere no-body who justifies my peace with the word by trying to be a good friend, father, husband and a peaceful person which is about all anyone can do outside of such far away conflicts really. Our own government though…

Edited by HTT II

Can't poke fun at this given our owners. The implications on purely a footballing side are interesting though.

Also do accept that it's part of having an asset frozen but not allowing ticket sales? Harsh on the supporters.

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

Hope they get a solution fast. There’s too many out there who support and work for the club who shouldn’t be punished for this. 

Chelsea were a big client of a former employer of mine, who, also employed a mix of Russian and Ukrainian developers, product managers, and designers. There's nothing funny about any of this and the fact that this whole disaster falls at the feet of Putin (others too, but he's the focal point) is disgusting. I hope he dies a long, drawn out, painful death. A bullet to the head is too good for him.

Guest HTT II
Just now, gjohnson said:

Well there wasn't any mass protest from the Glaswegians with his dodgy merchandising deal which i think they're still not free from

Of he went to Ibrox every game he’d be pushing up daises now..

22 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's not for everyone. I personally know people who will lose employment over this, people who have had their homes shelled by Russian tanks. 

It's not that far fetched that at some point the Saudis will cross a line and the west cant turn a blind eye anymore.

If you are certain that this couldnt happen to us, you're dreaming.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Kasper said:

It's not that far fetched that at some point the Saudis will cross a line and the west cant turn a blind eye anymore.

Like 9/11? That’s if you believe…

They are safe as houses, Saud!

It's quite strange this board, as everyone I know off-line thinks it's hilarious what has happened at Chelsea, myself included. When I say that, I am talking from the very narrow perspective of only looking at Chelsea and not the situation in Ukraine. 

For a mid-sized London club the fans have had an unbelievable journey under Abramovich, beyond their wildest dreams. The worse that can happen is that they go back to their former status in a year or two. 

Just now, Kasper said:

Never any certainty, but i'd say it was safe to say while the West are selling them most of their weaponry to them it would have to be a big line to cross. Besides, there are huge differences between the  Saudi/Yemen conflict which is mostly based on religious differences, to invading Ukraine which could easily drag the whole world into conflict.

Not justifying the Yemen situation in any way shape or form, but Ukraine has bigger and far more reaching implications