sunderland in the EFL

Big River

1 hour ago, manorpark said:

Washington New Town is indeed officially part of Sunderland, but it is really a very independent town with very few links to Sunderland.

In 1974 when the two towns of Washington and Sunderland were brought together under Local Government re-organisation (principally to make enough population to form a credible-sized borough of Tyne & Wear, no other reason) it surprised many of us.

The reason for the surprise was that Washington is more a part of Gateshead really. I mean, if you are driving along the Felling Bypass in Gateshead (I used to work there) and you turn right where the large 'Black Bull' pub was until recently (I used to drink there) then within 100 yards you passed the entrance sign and were in Washington New Town !!!

Then, after the strange decision to artificially add Washington to Sunderland, we had the great debate as to what the new 'merged borough' should be called . . . Washington was the 'older' name (the original home of the first president of the USA, etc) and the new merged borough was very nearly called 'Washington' rather than Sunderland.

That would have been a laugh. 

That's geographically, since the housing expansion (since it became a new town really) the support has largely been 50-50. Regular conversation when someone says their from Washington is "Black and white or red and white?" Wouldn't be surprised if the scales are tipping our way significantly now.

46 minutes ago, madras said:

That's geographically, since the housing expansion (since it became a new town really) the support has largely been 50-50. Regular conversation when someone says their from Washington is "Black and white or red and white?" Wouldn't be surprised if the scales are tipping our way significantly now.

Yes, in fact mainly only "administratively" via the very artificial merged borough.

When I worked in Washington in the 1990s, judging by the number of shirts worn, it seemed to be about 80 percent a Newcastle United town.

4 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Same. He's the only one I've heard of because he seems to score most the goals but if he walked past me in the street I'd have no idea who he was. The gulf between the 2 clubs now must be at an all time high, not just in a financial sense, and it's just going to get bigger and bigger as the years go by.

I know we mock and laugh them for their deranged ramblings about us these days and they are a great source of humour to us but I genuinely don't know how I'd cope if the roles were reversed so I try and cut them a bit of slack at least. It must be like being in a living nightmare for them!

All rather sad really. They are being dragged into that group of clubs of historical interest:-

Preston North End, Huddersfield Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton Wanderers, Derby County, Sunderland.

4 hours ago, manorpark said:

Washington New Town is indeed officially part of Sunderland, but it is really a very independent town with very few links to Sunderland.

In 1974 when the two towns of Washington and Sunderland were brought together under Local Government re-organisation (principally to make enough population to form a credible-sized borough of Tyne & Wear, no other reason) it surprised many of us.

The reason for the surprise was that Washington is more a part of Gateshead really. I mean, if you are driving along the Felling Bypass in Gateshead (I used to work there) and you turn right where the large 'Black Bull' pub was until recently (I used to drink there) then within 100 yards you passed the entrance sign and were in Washington New Town !!!

Then, after the strange decision to artificially add Washington to Sunderland, we had the great debate as to what the new 'merged borough' should be called . . . Washington was the 'older' name (the original home of the first president of the USA, etc) and the new merged borough was very nearly called 'Washington' rather than Sunderland.

That would have been a laugh. 

My dad was born in Springwell Village and most of his relatives live either Wrekenton or Washington, He will be spinning in his grave at the thought that Springwell Village is now a village in the City of Sunderland, He had the good sense to marry a Newcastle lass 

4 minutes ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

My dad was born in Springwell Village and most of his relatives live either Wrekenton or Washington, He will be spinning in his grave at the thought that Springwell Village is now a village in the City of Sunderland, He had the good sense to marry a Newcastle lass 

Springwell is Gateshead no? sign crossing the bridge over the A194 says welcome to Gateshead ???

17 hours ago, midds said:

Sunderland/Newcastle football crack stopped a couple of years ago tbh, the topic doesn't even get mentioned these days. Having 2 divisions difference between the teams for 3 or 4 years killed it stone dead, occasionally hear the odd comment about one or the others recent game but it's been good natured as both sets of fans seemed to just accept that there's a lot of clear water between the 2 clubs now. No real prospect of a league game any time soon so there's no need to wind up the other set of fans etc

It stopped 12 months after their last Top Dog’s trophy win.

The better we are doing,the number of obsessed mackem’s increases.😀 We are Exile’s life,and life isn’t particularly good for Exile at the moment.We’ve well and truly fucked his Christmas.

Canny funny how determined they are to one-up each other in showing their vaux outrage so they get the most attention/likes.

They're truly losing their minds. Fancy labelling people you work with as members of a terrorist cell, man.  Freaks.

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

Canny funny how determined they are to one-up each other in showing their vaux outrage so they get the most attention/likes.

They're truly losing their minds. Fancy labelling people you work with as members of a terrorist cell, man.  Freaks.

It's all just made up shite tbh. I can guarantee that if a mackem came into my workplace (or the majority of workplaces) and started going around randomly calling people terrorists, at best he'd end up in a disciplinary and at worst he'd be off to A&E.

Can I put it on record that as of today I don't feel shocked and ashamed to be a Newcastle fan, I feel exactly the same as when I first walked into St James in the 80's, apart from when I wake up these days I know Howes Newcastle are giving me and the rest of the supporters 100% and I'll forgive them any poor result because of the effort they put in. I wasn't ashamed when we were shite and I'm not ashamed now.

They way they try to say loads walked away when Di Canio was appointed manager.

Funny, all I remember is them calling the Durham Miners worse than shite and saying good riddance to David Milliband (who was a non-exec member of the board at the time) for raising concerns.

32 minutes ago, manorpark said:

It is definitely really a part of Gateshead, always has been!

Strange.  Because as you approach Springwell village, just past the incinerator/recycling plant, there is a sign that says "welcome to sunderland".  Then underneath it says "twinned with ......... somewhere in France I think.