sunderland in the EFL

Big River

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The only managers that NUFC fans have hounded out in the last 20 years have been Allardyce, Pardew & Bruce. 

Add Souness, Roeder, Kinnear & McClaren to that list. Granted, they weren't hated to the same level as those you mentioned, but they were very much welcomed sackings when they were let go.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It's not an agenda at all, it's looking at plain facts. If you can't see that going through so many managers in such a short space of time is not a worrying statistic then there's nothing more that I can say.

You said we have had 7 managers since 2017 and then went on a rant about the fans backing all the decisions Short made and how it's the fans fault.

Short had absolutely zero bearing on any of the managers we appointed since Chris Coleman as he sold the club in 2018 following relegation.

All of the managers that have been sacked since 2017 have been completely justified, I listed them earlier in this thread.

Edited by TeddySAFC

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Add Souness, Roeder, Kinnear & McClaren to that list. Granted, they weren't hated to the same level as those you mentioned, but they were very much welcomed sackings when they were let go.

I'd say there's a difference between being sacked purely on results and being sacked to a backdrop of outright abuse. I can only remember NUFC fans doing that to the three that I mentioned.

41 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If Ashley had sold us to some chancers, we got relegated twice, then sold again to not so rich but smart custodians then gotten a promotion and seeing the club progressing with a clear plan and ambition, I'd say we would be in a better position now in the Championship compared to being in the PL under Ashley.

No club in the Championship can be regarded as being in a good position compared to being in the Premier League. The Premier League is the richest and best league in the world. Clubs are guaranteed £120m a season just for being in it, whilst clubs in the Championship lose more money than in any other league anywhere as they overspend chasing the holy grail of the Premier League. If they'd been in the Premier League I doubt they would have lost the best manager they've had in years to Stoke City. 

Every manager that's either been sacked or left in my lifetime, bar Keegan x2, SBR, Hughton, and Rafa were all largely welcomed.

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

Are you on glue? [emoji38]

Just answer questions and keep away from the personal stuff eh? [emoji38] Classic RTG tactic that, lol.

For what its worth, I am not a SAFC hater, taking the local rivalry aside. But the idea that their support is blameless in their demise over the last 7 years is delusional in the extreme.

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

No club in the Championship can be regarded as being in a good position compared to being in the Premier League. The Premier League is the richest and best league in the world. Clubs are guaranteed £120m a season just for being in it, whilst clubs in the Championship lose more money than in any other league anywhere as they overspend chasing the holy grail of the Premier League. If they'd been in the Premier League I doubt they would have lost the best manager they've had in years to Stoke City. 

Disagree with that. There are definitely situations where it's better to have some short term pain for long term gain.

Hypothetically, say Howe didn't manage to keep us up last season, but the owners did everything else the same as they have up until now (maybe bar getting Botman & Isak in the summer window as I doubt they would join a championship team). Would you say we were in a better position now for future success, or would you rather still be in the PL under Ashleys stewardship?

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Just answer questions and keep away from the personal stuff eh? [emoji38] Classic RTG tactic that, lol.

For what its worth, I am not a SAFC hater, taking the local rivalry aside. But the idea that their support is blameless in their demise over the last 7 years is delusional in the extreme.

You haven't asked me a question for me to respond to.

You stated that the fans have hounded managers out and identified that 'seven managers since 2017' proves this.

I questioned you back and asked which manager should have stayed or not been sacked (albeit quoted another post from another poster), I didn't get a response to that.

I compiled the list of seven managers and provided my reasonings why they were sacked.

You then replied to someone else, Who alluded to my point that the sackings were justified and agreed with it.

You aren't making much sense here [emoji38]

Edited by TeddySAFC

Disagree with that. There are definitely situations where it's better to have some short term pain for long term gain.

Hypothetically, say Howe didn't manage to keep us up last season, but the owners did everything else the same as they have up until now (maybe bar getting Botman & Isak in the summer window as I doubt they would join a championship team). Would you say we were in a better position now for future success, or would you rather still be in the PL under Ashleys stewardship?

That's an extreme situation though going from the worst owner possible to the best. Sunderland had and have neither. As a general rule of thumb it's infinitaley better being in the Premier League rather than losing money hand over fist trying to get there.

4 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

You stated that the fans have hounded managers out and identified that 'seven managers since 2017' proves this.

I questioned you back and asked which manager should have stayed or not been sacked (albeit quoted another post from another poster), I didn't get a response to that.

I compiled the list of seven managers and provided my reasonings why they were sacked.

You then replied to someone else, Who alluded to my point that the sackings were justified and agreed with it.

Just admit it's all your fault.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

That's an extreme situation though going from the worst owner possible to the best. Sunderland had and have neither. As a general rule of thumb it's infinitaley better being in the Premier League rather than losing money hand over fist trying to get there.

We aren't losing money hand over fist though, that's the point, It's a model to prevent that from happening.

2 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

You haven't asked me any questions actually. Since you are asking though....Grayson, Ross & Parkinson should have been given more time. I actually agreed with the Johnson sacking though as it was clear that he would have fucked up in the playoffs again. Neal was an inspired appointment but the guy turned out to be either a snake, or astute, depending on how the next 5 months plays out. Mowbray I'm not sure of, he's clearly a solid manager but you need to get promoted this year under him or it wont happen at all (under him) IMO.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

You haven't asked me any questions actually. Since you are asking though....Grayson, Ross & Parkinson should have been given more time. I actually agreed with the Johnson sacking though as it was clear that he would have fucked up in the playoffs again. Neal was an inspired appointment but the guy turned out to be either a snake, or astute, depending on how the next 5 months plays out. Mowbray I'm not sure of, he's clearly a solid manager but you need to get promoted this year under him or it wont happen at all (under him) IMO.

Yes I did, albeit it indirectly as I mentioned above in the previous post as I quoted another poster, see here :- 

None of Grayson, Ross or Parkinson deserved more time, It's mental to even suggest it.

Grayson won 3 games out of 18

Ross as mentioned was the best we have had since Neil but ultimatley failed to get us out of L1 with the biggest budget and arguably on paper, best squad.

Parkinson [emoji38] 

Mowbray has actually exceeded my expectations so far but he won't be the man for the long run, He's there for stability and anything else is a bonus, hence his two year contract.

4 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

@TeddySAFC, Genuine question, what do you think the owners longer term intentions are?

No idea, Nobody really knows how much KLD has to his name, It'll be interesting to see if he brings other players into the fold, goes for it himself or sells up once we get back to the Prem.

I like him though, he's very switched on and has barely put a foot wrong so far.

8 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree :lol: I'd gladly go down a division just to get rid of Ashley, no matter how rich or poor the new owners were, so my opinion on that would not change. It was and would be impossible to progress under Ashley till the day he dies. Better to take a chance on the unknown.

6 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Yes I did, albeit it indirectly as I mentioned above in the previous post as I quoted another poster, see here :- 

None of Grayson, Ross or Parkinson deserved more time, It's mental to even suggest it.

Grayson won 3 games out of 18

Ross as mentioned was the best we have had since Neil but ultimatley failed to get us out of L1 with the biggest budget and arguably on paper, best squad.

Parkinson [emoji38] 

Mowbray has actually exceeded my expectations so far but he won't be the man for the long run, He's there for stability and anything else is a bonus, hence his two year contract.

I'm not into answering questions indirectly bud. [emoji38]

Ross should have been given another full season IMO, I think he would have taken you up at the 2nd attempt. 

So what happens if Mowbray finishes in the bottom half of the table this season? Do you stick or twist again?

Also...and not fishing here, genuinely curious...why do you think Neal left to go to Stoke, if things are looking so rosy at SAFC? It's not like Stoke are a bigger club.

Edited by Wandy

57 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

We only now have two loanees and one hardly plays by the way..

We have a blueprint of signing younger players (I think there's a cap of signing anyone over 25) by purchasing them from clubs where they are finding it difficult for regular first team game time. I guess the hope then is we develop them to be able to sell them on for big fees which we can then reinvest and continue to build the club.

It will take a while but I have no doubt we have already acquired some players who will go for big money in the next 3-5 years.

Name those "big money" players please.