sunderland in the EFL

Big River

1 minute ago, madras said:

At least as far back as the early 70s.

Don't doubt it

I remember hearing it sung shortly after I started going in the early 90s, and I remember being very amused as a young teenager when we first qualified for Europe under Keegan and we changed the words to "we're going to Italy".

Just now, Chris_R said:

Don't doubt it

I remember hearing it sung shortly after I started going in the early 90s, and I remember being very amused as a young teenager when we first qualified for Europe under Keegan and we changed the words to "we're going to Italy".

There's another song that used to be sung to the same tune..... anyone remember it ;D

I saw a mackem comment on a Newcastle Facebook post which was headed "Tell me ma, me ma" asking why we were celebrating with a Sunderland song, but I thought they couldn't mean that. Surely they don't think they invented that song?  It must have been the second football song ever sung after "Here we go, here we go, here we go".

Edit: Found it

image.thumb.png.2d9df0829f58988f6e979dfb8282779b.png

Sunderland asked if Newcastle could send a team down for a behind closed doors friendly. Eddie told the lads and said it was completely voluntary for those who wanted to go.

Anyway, the day comes around and only Bruno and Dan Burn show up. They think 'sod it, we're here now so we might as well'. So they play against a sunderland 11 and it's 0-0 going into the break.

Burn suddenly realises he has to go as he has to go and get measured for his new suit. Bruno says "go for it mate, I'll keep playing". So off pops BDB and Bruno carries on.

Next day at training Dan asks Bruno how the match went. "ah, we lost 1-0". "That's pretty good to be fair" says Burn. "thanks", says Bruno, "I got sent off just after half time as well". 

1 minute ago, Stal said:

Sunderland asked if Newcastle could send a team down for a behind closed doors friendly. Eddie told the lads and said it was completely voluntary for those who wanted to go.

Anyway, the day comes around and only Bruno and Dan Burn show up. They think 'sod it, we're here now so we might as well'. So they play against a sunderland 11 and it's 0-0 going into the break.

Burn suddenly realises he has to go as he has to go and get measured for his new suit. Bruno says "go for it mate, I'll keep playing". So off pops BDB and Bruno carries on.

Next day at training Dan asks Bruno how the match went. "ah, we lost 1-0". "That's pretty good to be fair" says Burn. "thanks", says Bruno, "I got sent off just after half time as well". 

When I first heard that it was Bob Moncur and Supermac.

Thing is they couldn't lose by more than 1-0 because with 0 players, after the first Sunderland goal there'd be no Newcastle player to take the kickoff. ;)

Version I heard many years back was that Sunderland were playing really badly so their manager contacted ours and asked Howe (Or Keegan, back in the day!) for some tips.

"What I'd suggest you do to get your confidence up is to just play a practice game with no opposition. Just put 11 dustbins out, in the right places for the opposition team, and practice passing through the dustbins, moving, shooting, getting into the right areas etc and it'll do your confidence the world of good to just focus on what you can do well."

"That's great advice, thanks. I'll try that" says Mowbray.

Anyway, a few days go by and Mowbray calls him back up. "We tried that practice match you suggested" he says

"That's great" says Howe, "How did it go?"

"Not great. Bins won 3-0".

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Thing is they couldn't lose by more than 1-0 because with 0 players, after the first Sunderland goal there'd be no Newcastle player to take the kickoff. ;)

Version I heard many years back was that Sunderland were playing really badly so their manager contacted ours and asked Howe (Or Keegan, back in the day!) for some tips.

"What I'd suggest you do to get your confidence up is to just play a practice game with no opposition. Just put 11 dustbins out, in the right places for the opposition team, and practice passing through the dustbins, moving, shooting, getting into the right areas etc and it'll do your confidence the world of good to just focus on what you can do well."

"That's great advice, thanks. I'll try that" says Mowbray.

Anyway, a few days go by and Mowbray calls him back up. "We tried that practice match you suggested" he says

"That's great" says Howe, "How did it go?"

"Not great. Bins won 3-0".

Have you not heard the Steve Howey training under Ossie story ?