Newcastle United vs Crystal Palace, Wednesday 20/4/2022 @ 19:45 (No UK TV)

LRD

Guest HTT II
5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I had high hopes for Fox when we signed him, but he was so frustrating. Two footed, could play either wing, but just seemed half arsed at times.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I thought he was very good, particularly when Cole left I thought he was our best player. 

He had spells, but often flattered to deceive for me. Sellars on the other hand… one of our most underrated players and a key player for us in those early days. The thing with Fox is he was a good footballer, but not a great crosser and KK wanted both which we got in Ginola. Gillespie was or could be a great crosser and winger, but he wasn’t a one two pass and move type of player if that makes sense, he too often frustrated.

Edited by HTT II

Something i liked from the boring second half on Sunday was how the midfield was discplined and kept their shape. Leicester could have been playing until now and still would not have found a way to get past our midfield.

If we can do the same and perhaps be a bit more adventurous, getting the ball our wide more often, I could see us getting some early goals and then keep the lead comfortably after.

We've basically become competitive in every game we play (apart from Spurs) and look as though we could pick up points.

Our next step is much harder, we now need to start dominating sides in terms of possession and getting ourselves into solid leads.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

We've basically become competitive in every game we play (apart from Spurs) and look as though we could pick up points.

Our next step is much harder, we now need to start dominating sides in terms of possession and getting ourselves into solid leads.

And we will need better quality players to do that. I really think this team as is would finish in the top 10 next season. Europe would be a possibility with some top quality added in the summer across the squad 

Just now, andyc35i said:

And we will need better quality players to do that. I really think this team as is would finish in the top 10 next season. Europe would be a possibility with some top quality added in the summer across the squad 

We have showed we are probably closer to Wolves and Leicester than we are to Everton and Leeds.

We are set up nicely to make some solid additions. Looking forward to the summer.

12 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

I think Howe will make 2-3 changes, anyone think Gayle is worth a start instead of Wood? 

I think changes will come against Norwich.

Palace are a decent side, I just hope they have run out of a bit of steam with their cup exit.

Not exactly where you want to go 3 days after your season has effectively ended.

This lot have a similar away record to Leicester, having only won three on the road, albeit they are slightly more difficult to beat.

While Viera has them playing some decent stuff most of their threat still comes from Zaha, Krafth is going to have to stay disciplined as he's unpredictable and will go down at the slightest opportunity. Gallagher has also made a big impression, he'll scrap for everything in midfield and will make plenty of late runs into the box.

Like Leicester, they're bobbins at defending set pieces. Given how strong we are from them, we should carry plenty of attacking fret (as Pards would say). 

Given we've won the last two, a draw would be fine here. Initially I had a bad feeling about it, but we were pretty ordinary v Leicester and still ground out a win: 1-0.

They are safe and season is done for them.  Tricky team but hopefully weekend result will go in our favour. 

3 points and then EH can really let the boys play football.  I think he is rightly keeping them focussed and sensible as we are not mathematically safe yet but once we are, I think we will push on and try and finish the season in style.  We have a lot of players who are essentially playing for their future so they need to keep going to till the end of the season.

I think palace are like us in many respects; they have a young manager who yhas them well organised and more difficult to beat than they were, a couple of "star" players who can turn a game and they are difficult to beat at home but average on their travels.

If we can keep zaha quiet and dominate/control the mdifield like we have in the last two we should beat them or draw at least...

I don´t think I would make any changes from Sunday`s line up, and bringing off a couple of players at 60/70 mins to freshen things up...

Agree with @buzza , we're very similar teams. I think with Olise and Zaha, they carry more fret on the wings, but our midfield should have more than enough to stifle Gallagher, and ask a lot of questions of the Palace defence, which aint great. Given that we're at home, I'd expect us to be very fired up, looking to continue our streak. Plus, the dangling carrot of 3 points ensuring survival will surely give us a big boost. (I think survival is already achieved, but 40 points would cement it).

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Can’t be many other than Cole & Beardsley the season before with 10+ goals & 10+ assists for us in a single league season?

93/94 in all competitions, after Cole and Beardsley it's Lee with 8, Allen with 7

94/95 in all competitions Beardsley and Cole were our top scorers with 15. Lee had 14, Fox and Kitson had 12.

Just on league stats though, Fox (10) was only outscored by Beardsley (12)

As others have said, a win here and the pressure is well and truly off us. This means we could use some experimentation in our remaining games, or give it a right all out go against the likes of Norwich. A win and the focus will obviously turn towards seeing what we can achieve in terms of top, although fixtures after weekend might quickly dash those hopes.