Your favourite ever Newcastle United match

joeyt

4 minutes ago, Robster said:

Fuck me, aye. Sometimes I think back and wonder if I was imagining it but the thing was really moving :lol:

Vagueley remember hearing it was designed to do so but can't imagine it being battle tested whilst Man United played. (*or when Villa and Liverpool only half-filled it for their semi)

At the first semi against Sheffield United I wondered whether accounting for the likes of us bouncing around it had been taken into consideration.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Forest 5-0 to nip in and sneak 2nd place while Liverpool slipped up and Boro & Sunderland went down at the same time takes some beating.

Absolutely love the .com report from that game. https://www.nufc.com/html/1996-97html/1997-05-11forest-h.html

The final scores were read out over the Tannoy. Arsenal had not scored seven (Good. Fine). Boro were down (barely restrained mirth). Sunderland had lost (cheering). Coventry were still leading 2-1 (more cheering). Sheff Wed and Liverpool were 1-1, but still playing.... It all stayed a bit quiet for a good couple of minutes, save a bit of “Peter Reid eats bananas with his feet, bananas with his...” etc.

Then a voice behind me said quietly “It’s finished”. For a second I’m sure I was the only one in the ground cheering. Fists clenched, arms outstretched, eyes shut, yelling at the Gallowgate roof. A surreal moment. Then everyone was punching the air.

Bugger me, we’ve really done it.

It was a joyous moment. Real, exultant joy. Not the smug, arrogant self-congratulation of Taggart and his Old Trafford glory-seekers. This was the genuine ecstatic celebration of unexpected victory. Hard-earned success after so many disappointments. If we ever win something....

The players set off on their lap of honour. By the time they’d got half way round my hands were raw through clapping. Tino lobbed his boots into the Milburn Stand, and the players finally disappeared down the tunnel, the ground still reverberating to the cheers.

Everyone headed for the exits, and suddenly we all remembered about Coventry. Surely this would be the slight dampener on the day. Coventry were 1/9 to go down. They couldn’t escape again, Spurs would equalise and the Mackems would stay up.

As my feet touched the concrete outside the exit, the cheering started. Spurs 1, Coventry 2. Unbelievable, just incredible. I floated towards the City Centre. It’s a while since I had felt this drunk, but I hadn’t touched a drop. Honest.

Irrational behaviour became natural. Expected, even. Almost compulsory. A ginger-haired lad with a Walkman burst out laughing and doubled over clutching his sides. “They’re interviewing a Mackem blubbing his eyes out” he announced to the world. I found myself dancing down Blackett Street, arm in arm with a fat bloke I don’t even know, singing “Geordies, In the Champions’ League”.

As he teetered euphorically towards his bus stop, and I staggered towards Monument Metro, we simultaneously gushed “It just doesn’t get any better than this.” In truth, we both knew that one day we will win the League. In truth, we both knew that one day it WILL be better than this.

But it won’t be by much.

:smitten:

The Man U 5-1.

Watched it in the old Chester-le-St cricket club with my late grandad.  I was 9 at the time, but still remember it like it was yesterday. 

Thank you for taking me Georgie. 

Edited by Izakaya

Few mentions of the 4-3 at Leeds. The 3-0 there the year after was also superb. We truly felt like one of the big boys that day. Utterly dominant. I loved the game when we beat them 3-1 at home and Mills got sent off too. 

This might seem like a strange choice but losing 4-1 to derby easter monday 1992 when we had 3 men sent off. It was our finest hour as a support. The radio derby phone in after was full of people talking about 'the best in the business'. We hit the bottom 3 that day as results went against us. They say the darkest hour is before the dawn well we won 13 league games in a row after that starting with 'that' David Kelly goal.

52 minutes ago, Boo Boy said:

This might seem like a strange choice but losing 4-1 to derby easter monday 1992 when we had 3 men sent off. It was our finest hour as a support. The radio derby phone in after was full of people talking about 'the best in the business'. We hit the bottom 3 that day as results went against us. They say the darkest hour is before the dawn well we won 13 league games in a row after that starting with 'that' David Kelly goal.

Brian fucking Coddington.

Guest HTT II

The Portsmouth game where Shearer broke Wor Jackie’s record, in fact we had some really good performances under Roeder once Souness was sacked. 

I’ll go a little left field as so many have already been chosen.

4-1 away to Spurs under Keegan in 08 was terrific. It felt like the good times were coming back.

Even the 2-0 derby win over Sunderland in 08, was possibly the easiest derby win I’ve ever seen. The atmosphere was amazing.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Brian fucking Coddington.

Was there for that, still not 100% whether Brock handled it and we were right behind him. Wasn’t there a bomb scare before the game?

Not a single person walked out.

5 hours ago, madras said:

Was there for that as well, 16 at the time and I don’t think I’ve ever felt so scared at a match.

@Sima agree about the Sheff Wed game, still not sure whether Mathie meant it or not :lol: 

I was at the Footballers Football Show they held in the new Leazes concourse with Keys, Nicholson, Best and someone else on the panel.

the one game that hasn’t been mentioned surprisingly is the 1-2 win at Roker in the promotion season with O’Brien over the wall.

Celebrations were mental 

Guest HTT II
28 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Tbf to Viduka, he was superb in Keegan's front three with Owen and Martins. I think we'd be looking back at his time with us very differently had KK stayed.

KK played Owen basically as an ACM, Viduka was the ‘target man’ and Martin’s was given a free role. It clicked after a while and we were fluid at times.

Guest HTT II
28 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I genuinely couldn’t stand him at the time. Slow, lazy, barely seemed like he could be arsed to play.

When Kinnear come in, he told Viduka he could basically take training off, go home, if he did the business on a weekend for him, the mad bastard used to do that at Wimbledon. Owen for all the flack he got, once he saw that, basically thought fuck it, I’m not gonna bother if this is the situation and it then had a domino effect. He was even allowed to smoke around the training ground. What a shambles we were man!