Your favourite ever Newcastle United match

joeyt

One of my best memories is 6-0 vs Villa. Went from being a NUFC fan to supporter in December 2008 and was painfully aware that I had missed the good times. Had a hard time finding a way to watch the games as we only had this crap pirate TV box that only worked a few random times. Most of the championship games I followed on the radio or watched them on a small window on bet365 when possible. 

For the Villa game we finally got the PL channels and I saw it with my parents. First home game of the season and a great way to revenge the "cry on the tyne" shite. Think it was the first time I felt proud supporting NUFC

Edited by BergenMagpie

32 minutes ago, HTT II said:

When Kinnear come in, he told Viduka he could basically take training off, go home, if he did the business on a weekend for him, the mad bastard used to do that at Wimbledon. Owen for all the flack he got, once he saw that, basically thought fuck it, I’m not gonna bother if this is the situation and it then had a domino effect. He was even allowed to smoke around the training ground. What a shambles we were man!

Who was allowed to smoke??

3 hours ago, Boo Boy said:

This might seem like a strange choice but losing 4-1 to derby easter monday 1992 when we had 3 men sent off. It was our finest hour as a support. The radio derby phone in after was full of people talking about 'the best in the business'. We hit the bottom 3 that day as results went against us. They say the darkest hour is before the dawn well we won 13 league games in a row after that starting with 'that' David Kelly goal.

Love this.
I agree, something happened that day that I believe spurred us on. I seem to have a vision of David Kelly in front of our fans... maybe throwing his shirt into the crowd.

25 minutes ago, Robster said:
4 hours ago, Boo Boy said:

This might seem like a strange choice but losing 4-1 to derby easter monday 1992 when we had 3 men sent off. It was our finest hour as a support. The radio derby phone in after was full of people talking about 'the best in the business'. We hit the bottom 3 that day as results went against us. They say the darkest hour is before the dawn well we won 13 league games in a row after that starting with 'that' David Kelly goal.

Expand  

Love this.
I agree, something happened that day that I believe spurred us on. I seem to have a vision of David Kelly in front of our fans... maybe throwing his shirt into the crowd

On this day 30 years ago. 

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

That’s insane, so unprofessional. I hated watching him ambling around up front barely challenging for headers. Hated him 

He was a waste of a talent really, he could have been a huge player in the world of football given his ability, I never felt he really wanted to be here at all, same with Owen. 

Newcastle 4-3 Man Utd.

Robert's first goal for us I believe. I was in the Gallowgate for it and you could hardly hear yourself think. Few days after Sept 11th iirc.

Still can't believe Fergie had an aging Laurent Blanc marking Craig Bellamy [emoji38] Also might have been the game they deliberately targeted Olly Bernard all game and failed miserably, can't quite remember.

2003 we beat spurs 4-0, Robert got a brace as did shearer, pretty sure this was when he scored his 100th goal for us  

Watching from half a world away I'd get to see highlights of shearers goals,  but was never able to stay up to watch entire games. This was the first time I managed to get into the pub on a Saturday night being only 15, and watch a game live, and truly fell in love with the club.  

Though theres been better results over the years this one here always stands out to me. 

15 hours ago, Robster said:

Newcastle 7 - 1 Leicester
An incredible end to an incredible season which 12 months prior hadn't looked like happening in a million years.
I'd dreamed of seeing NUFC lift a trophy and at last it happened. At last I was able to say that NUFC were "CHAMPIONS" (albeit just the Championship). Things I'd dreamed about finally happened and for it to end with a game like this was proper storybook stuff.

This one is my favourite too. What a day!

Guest neesy111
8 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Newcastle 4-3 Man Utd.

Robert's first goal for us I believe. I was in the Gallowgate for it and you could hardly hear yourself think. Few days after Sept 11th iirc.

Still can't believe Fergie had an aging Laurent Blanc marking Craig Bellamy [emoji38] Also might have been the game they deliberately targeted Olly Bernard all game and failed miserably, can't quite remember.

1st home goal.  Scored at Boro the weekend before.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Viduka!

Christ :lol: 

1 hour ago, Robster said:

Love this.
I agree, something happened that day that I believe spurred us on. I seem to have a vision of David Kelly in front of our fans... maybe throwing his shirt into the crowd.

yeah he did, I think Clarke did as well. The players stayed out a while afterwards

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Viduka!

One of the lecturers at Sunderland uni when I was a student there worked with the Boro squad as some sort of conditioning coach / physio type and said that Viduka really was fat. His body fat % was insanely high for a PL footballer but as he was very good for them they just ignored it [emoji38]

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

12 hours ago, Izakaya said:

The Man U 5-1.

Watched it in the old Chester-le-St cricket club with my late grandad.  I was 9 at the time, but still remember it like it was yesterday. 

Thank you for taking me Georgie. 

Don't remember the fucking score though.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

One of the lecturers at Sunderland uni when I was a student there worked with the Boro squad as some sort of conditioning coach / physio type and said that Viduka really was fat. His body fat % was insanely high for a PL footballer but as he was very good for them they just ignored it [emoji38]

He was so lazy in training!

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Unless I’ve missed it, it’s interesting that no games from 95/96 have been mentioned. Is that season All Pain in our minds now?

Just watched QPR at home again, experienced at the time as about an average performance, game and atmosphere.  Blew my mind how good it was - game was non-stop, atmosphere strong and incessant after some second-half controversey and more dominant than I remembered in the nerves.

Anything after that Easter Saturday game is all pain however you're right.

8 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Unless I’ve missed it, it’s interesting that no games from 95/96 have been mentioned. Is that season All Pain in our minds now?

Man City at home that year is a bit of a favorite of mine. Smashed them 3-1, created loads and loads of chances in the sunshine. Ginola utterly unplayable, he absolutely tortured their RB, trying to recall who it was. Edgehill maybe? Ran him utterly ragged.

Guest HTT II

4-0 at home to WHU under Sir Bobby, Lua Lua got two I think, could have scored 8, I’m sure we registered over 30 shots against them at one time under KK too.

24 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Man City at home that year is a bit of a favorite of mine. Smashed them 3-1, created loads and loads of chances in the sunshine. Ginola utterly unplayable, he absolutely tortured their RB, trying to recall who it was. Edgehill maybe? Ran him utterly ragged.

Was like a testimonial. Think we'd forced five good saves in the first three minutes or something.

37 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Aye. I've blocked that season out of my mind as best I can. I hate it. Cannot watch it on YouTube. Too painful.