Newcastle United vs Liverpool, Saturday 30/4/2022 @ 12:30 (BT)

LRD

Really loving the optimism for this one.
These are another level though to what we've been playing against. The most in form club in world football ?
I expect us to play well and give them a game but I worry that their fire power will be too much for us.

Brilliant though, to go into a game like thinking we are capable of competing.

Can't see much other than a loss, just depends on how it plays out.

Pretty defeatist but Liverpool really are the best club in world football atm, there's no shame. Give a good account and you just never know.

This is a wonderful opportunity to see where we are right now. I fully expect a competitive game, however ultimately being undone by moments of class. And that's fine. I'd be happy with our team showing some resilience, and really having a go at them. We've got so much to look forward to next season, I just can't wait.

20 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Can't see much other than a loss, just depends on how it plays out.

Pretty defeatist but Liverpool really are the best club in world football atm, there's no shame. Give a good account and you just never know.

Nah not defeatist in this case. Realistic.
I want us to go into every game thinking we can win. In many cases we can.
However, Liverpool are the current exception due to their level (for some reason I always feel Man City might be prone to dropping points in an unexpected game)

5 hours ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Remember when they were going for the title in 2019 and they beat us in the last minute from a free kick? Blatant dive from Fabinho (I think). I'd love to get revenge by messing up their 2022 title hopes.

This. I remember Anfield was jubilant over stopping our title charge. It's been a long time but it's never too late for revenge. How sweet would it be to bring them down in front of a rocking St James??

5 hours ago, maze said:

They either double up on that 'steroid juice' Klopp has them on, or VAR will bail them out.

Mo Salah will hit the deck like a bag of hammers at the first opportunity. He's done it twice against us in the past.

Him and KDB are the best players in the league, but man, what a cheat!

37 minutes ago, TRon said:

This. I remember Anfield was jubilant over stopping our title charge. It's been a long time but it's never too late for revenge. How sweet would it be to bring them down in front of a rocking St James??

The irony with 95-96 will always be that they ended up having a huge helping hand in handing the title to their nearest and most hated rivals.

Best 2 teams on the planet (probably) back to back. Even a point from either of them would be ridiculously good but the good thing is there's zero pressure on either game, the whole world is expecting 2 wins for Liverpool and City. absolutely nothing to lose, get in their faces and give them both a game as best we can. 

Real shame this isn’t the evening kick-off again like the 2-3 a few years ago. Klopp will be looking at this fixture thinking ffs.

They’ll beat us again, probably by 2 or 3, but he’ll be hating this.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

4 hours ago, David Edgar said:

I worry that we capitulate like the Spurs second half.

Liverpool will be able to plan to play around our defensive structure.  It'll be a matter of time before one of their drilled approaches gets through.  Then it'll be about us being able to maintain our heads.

One thing we used to do brilliantly under Rafa was go down against big, much better sides and yet not give in.  Didn't mean we would always get a positive result, but we never got proper embarrassed.  Plus we did pick up some lovely draws and wins now and then.

We've conceded 1 goal in 360 minutes, since Spurs. and we've never conceded more than one goal since December. Obviously if anybody can tear us apart it's Liverpool, but to be worrying about capitulating seems weird.

We've every reason to go into this game with confidence.

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

We've conceded 1 goal in 360 minutes, since Spurs. and we've never conceded more than one goal since December. Obviously if anybody can tear us apart it's Liverpool, but to be worrying about capitulating seems weird.

We've every reason to go into this game with confidence.

I am all in on confidence.

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Real shame this isn’t the evening kick-off again like the 2-3 a few years ago. Klopp will be looking at this fixture thinking ffs.

They’ll beat us again, probably by 2 or 3, but he’ll be hating this.

I can imagine Klopp ranting in German about Saturdays match 😂

7 hours ago, Robster said:

The irony with 95-96 will always be that they ended up having a huge helping hand in handing the title to their nearest and most hated rivals.

There’s been a sly rewrite of history on this one. They act as though they were going for the league themselves that year. They never were.