Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

2 hours ago, Hovagod said:

That Rob Lee testimonial was completely shit, like. Imagine losing 1-0 in a tightly contested fixture as a testimonial. Wanted whacky penalties and all sorts.

Rob Lee was unlucky with that like. Sure it was arranged for a while then we got invited to the Intertoto Cup where tickets were about £15 when his tickets were around £25. :lol:

Just now, xLiaaamx said:

Home friendlies :D

I hate the trend we established under Ashley of everything away apart from last friendly before the season. Would love more home games. 

We went through a stage where we never played home friendlies under Keegan pretty much right through to the Rob Lee testimonial.

3 hours ago, nufcnick said:

My uncle is over from Oz that week, anyone got any idea how much the tickets are where you have a meal and drinks before hand and drinks after? 

All the packages from last seen and what they provide are here. I would imagine they’ll announce prices nearer the time, but they vary quite a bit from the Leazes Park grill up to the directors box packages. 

https://www.nufc.co.uk/tickets/match-hospitality-in-newcastle/hospitality-suites/

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We went through a stage where we never played home friendlies under Keegan pretty much right through to the Rob Lee testimonial.

Just that Blyth/Gateshead friendly in 96 really, apart from the Exhihibtion Tournament right at the start of the KK era. (I was most chuffed about seeing Oceano from watching him on the Spanish football on screensport little knowing what Figo and Paulo Sousa would go on to be)

Hate home friendlies, didn't even like either of the above really either, maybe the first one as a treat.

Except Juventus in 98 and Barcelona 02.

Always got the feeling the Ashley regime thought it was something you had to do because we were having them when he arrived and just went along with it, like every other game.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Think I'll look to get to the Saturday game, and even better with that being Bilbao. I'd just turned 8 during the UEFA Cup matches and remember watching the home leg on TV with my dad and brother. The away leg mustn't have been on TV as I can remember checking Ceefax and Ziganda or someone got the winner to go out on away goals  - I didn't fully know what was going on, but I was still gutted [emoji38]

On 28/05/2022 at 11:18, Hovagod said:

That Rob Lee testimonial was completely shit, like. Imagine losing 1-0 in a tightly contested fixture as a testimonial. Wanted whacky penalties and all sorts.

My first ever game at SJP :lol:

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’d love Ajax away as a fixture, imagine the DFDS ferry that weekend.

Was class on there when we played Brugge. Loads of Ajax on too travelling home from playing City at the Etihad.

Athletic Club will face Newcastle United FC at St. James’ Park on Saturday July 30, in what is the Lions’ first confirmed friendly of the 2022/23 pre-season.

This will be the fourth time Athletic have taken on the Magpies, and it will be our third visit to the north-eastern English city. The two sides first met in the Uefa Cup Round of 32 back in 1994-95. The first leg at St. James’ Park finished 3-2, with Athletic fighting back from 3-0 down. The Lions advanced to the next round on away goals after Kuko Ziganda’s strike gave them a 1-0 victory at San Mamés.

Those matches have gone down in legend for the atmosphere in each city and the sense of camaraderie among both sets of fans. Before the return leg at San Mamés, Bilbao was awash with red-and-white and black-and-white kits. Supporters drank together and sang together, forming a bond and mutual respect which continues to this day.

In fact, at the end of the match in Bilbao, hundreds of Athleticzales invaded the pitch, rushing towards the away end to give a standing ovation to the Newcastle fans. The visiting supporters responded by chanting: “Athletic, Athletic, Athletic!”

Now managed by Eddie Howe, Newcastle finished 11th in the Premier League last season and their top scorer in the domestic competition was Callum Wilson with eight goals in 18 appearances.

Also known as ‘Toon Army’, Newcastle play at the 52,305-seater St. James’ Park, the ground which has been their home since the club was founded in 1892.

The two clubs, and the regions they belong to, share many cultural similarities. Like the province of Biscay, Tyneside was once dependent on its shipbuilding and mining industries, with most families having some link to those sectors.

Newcastle upon Tyne is one of few ‘one-club’ cities in the United Kingdom. Citizens of Newcastle – known as Geordies, and famous for their outgoing and friendly nature – feel a deep sense of attachment to their beloved Toon Army.

In a similar vein to The Basque Country and its unique language, Euskera, Geordies are supremely proud of their distinct dialect – also called Geordie. In fact, ‘toon’ in the term ‘Toon Army’ comes from the Geordie variation of ‘town’.

Just like at Athletic, Newcastle supporters love nothing more than to see one of their own pull on the black and white stripes. The Magpies have a strong academy and Geordie footballers are renowned for turning down lucrative deals in order to sign for, or stay at, Newcastle United. The most famous recent example being the club’s record goalscorer Alan Shearer, who scored 206 goals in 406 appearances for the Magpies.

Five members of the current first-team squad were either born in the region or came up through the academy. Of that group, local-born midfielder and academy graduate, Sean Longstaff, 24, has just signed a new contract, keeping him at his boyhood club for a further three seasons.

What’s more, former Athletic Club manager Howard Kendall was also born in Tyneside (in the town of Ryton) and followed Newcastle as a child, regularly attending matches at St James’ Park.