Flair players and the boo-boys

Big Geordie

Always been an element of our support, who love having digs at flair players - I believe in my dad's day, it was the likes of Alan Suddick and Jinky Smith who used to get pelters. In the last couple of decades, we've seen the likes of Ginola, Robert and now ASM targeted when they hit poor form.

Whilst Ginola/Robert delivered, they were part of good sides - but still got grief about not tracking back/being lazy. ASM is a flair player and frustrating, but he's also playing in a very limited side whilst going through a patch of dodgy form. In a better side with better player around him, he will become a better player. Keep the faith.

It's also worth remembering that I'm old enough for to remember Gazza and Beardsley getting the bird, during the mid-late 80's. For some folk, there is no pleasing!

Guest reefatoon

He was at fault for the first goal and was rightly blamed, it really is that simple. Nowt to do with how much flair or step overs he hoys about, he left his man and they scored. It nearly happened a few mins earlier too, but we were let off. Should have been a warning but he let him go again. It really is ok to dislike certain players and the mistakes they make. 

I’d also add, why should so called “flair players” avoid any grief or criticism? All players should get pulled up on shit performances and mistakes. Both Dubravka and Lascelles have too, but is that ok because they are not flair players? 

Edited by reefatoon

He’s not and never will be a left back. He’s not a defensively trained player at all, that’s not his strength.

If we’re at a point where we have to rely on ASM to stop a goal then something has already gone wrong. 

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, LV said:

He’s not and never will be a left back. He’s not a defensively trained player at all, that’s not his strength.

If we’re at a point where we have to rely on ASM to stop a goal then something has already gone wrong. 

We are a team and he has to pull his weight too. Especially against teams like this. They all have to do their bit. 

If the attacking side of his game was better right now (whether down to form, attitude, intelligence in when to pass etc) then any defensive issue would be balanced out. When he offers nothing going forward other than running down blind alleys, ending up on his arse and throwing his hands in the air, then people will also criticise the lack of covering back also. He’s been pretty poor for a few months now and giving the team nothing. 

Flair players get a pass when they produce an end product.  Score or create chances and people won't mind as much that you don't contribute when defending.

Stop producing and that free pass starts to get questioned.

6 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

We are a team and he has to pull his weight too. Especially against teams like this. They all have to do their bit. 

Im not saying he doesn’t need upgrading if we want to be a top team but I just don’t think he’s got the defensive side of the game I’m his DNA.

He can’t defend, he’s all about going forward.

But also I don’t know many flair players who are good at defending.

Whats Mbappe like at defending? Messi? 

Would they even be tracking back in the left back position? 

1 minute ago, ikri said:

Flair players get a pass when they produce an end product.  Score or create chances and people won't mind as much that you don't contribute when defending.

Stop producing and that free pass starts to get questioned.

As I said in the OP, Ginola and Robert were still pulled up, despite the assists and goals.

Guest reefatoon

Every player gets stick when they play poor it’s always been that way, not just flair players. [emoji38] This thread should be renamed “why are people picking on my favourite player” 

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Every player gets stick when they play poor it’s always been that way, not just flair players. [emoji38] This thread should be renamed “why are people picking on my favourite player” 

When have I said ASM is my favorite player?

Obviously not the same ballpark in any way whatsoever but I was a forward when I played and I was utterly shite at defending. Just couldn’t do it. Had no idea where to be, was shit at tackling.

There was no point in criticising me, I just couldn’t do it. 

Now if we’re talking about ASM needing to contribute

more in attacking play then that’s a different story. 

Man City, Liverpool, Bayern etc etc prove you can have both flair and hard work ethic

ASM has been the one Bright spark in a dreary few years, but I too am tiring of his attitude 

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

When have I said ASM is my favorite player?

It made you make a whole thread about it. Just looks like you are really offended by him getting stick.

Doing superfluous step overs and having a unique hairstyle does not absolve you of being requied to be of benefit to the team.

He is playing terribly, so fans are getting on his back. Simple.

Creating teary threads to defend him in vain doesn't really help the debate.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

Just seems like folk don’t understand the difference between attacking players and defensive players.

Give him stick for not producing as an attacker but you can’t expect him to be even an average defender 

1 minute ago, LV said:

Just seems like folk don’t understand the difference between attacking players and defensive players.

Agreed.  Loads of people on here really don't understand that players in the modern era have to defend from the front and cannot be allowed to walk about doing fuck all when not in possession.  Will take a while for them to catch up. 

Just now, LV said:

Don’t be coming in here giving opinions when you think Darlow and Dubravka are equal 

So you don't think that teams defend from the front in the modern era and that having to carry a player out of possession isn't a big deal?

Fuck sake man.

It's totally fine to criticise players playing badly, even the exiting/ flair players!

He's been shit for 3 month.

Edited by Aiston