Underrated players

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Nedved. Never hear his name mentioned anymore. Outrageous.

He's been mentioned in the overrated thread today. :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

Totti.

Feel like him being a one club player for a club that is big but not massive means his reputation isn't high enough. Totti at one of the giants playing CL semifinals and finals regularly and he would be one of the goats.

I'm probably biased but absolutely love him. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

A fit Boksic

it's probably feasible to name a chronically underrated xi consisting solely of mid-90s players from the former yugoslavia, and it's hard not to think that the breakup of the country robbed the world of a mint team (there's a documentary about that squad, the last yugoslavian football team, that i've been wanting to see for a time.

probably not the most underrated (or rated, for that matter) by a long stretch, but always had a proper soft spot for prosinecki. doubtless somebody with a functioning memory will pop up to tell me i'm wrong, but his performance against us at st. james' park in 97/98 champion's league is pinned in my mind as one of the best individual performances i've seen in the flesh: already fucked by injuries and on his way down career-wise, in the vivid world of my imagination he ran the game while neither breaking a sweat nor leaving the centre circle.

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Definitely not by us or the players who played with him, but Peter Beardsley. 

:thup: When people talk about great PL striker partnerships, it proper irks me that Beardsley and Cole is never mentioned. 67 league goals in a season and a half together ffs. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Definitely not by us or the player who played with him, but Peter Beardsley. 

Considering how much some folks go on about Zola, Beardsley is definitely underrated.

Another great second striker who gets fewer mentions than Zola is Teddy Sheringham. I think people forget him when thinking about great #10s because he was physically a #9 and not a tricky little fella.

1 hour ago, enthusiast said:

it's probably feasible to name a chronically underrated xi consisting solely of mid-90s players from the former yugoslavia, and it's hard not to think that the breakup of the country robbed the world of a mint team (there's a documentary about that squad, the last yugoslavian football team, that i've been wanting to see for a time.

probably not the most underrated (or rated, for that matter) by a long stretch, but always had a proper soft spot for prosinecki. doubtless somebody with a functioning memory will pop up to tell me i'm wrong, but his performance against us at st. james' park in 97/98 champion's league is pinned in my mind as one of the best individual performances i've seen in the flesh: already fucked by injuries and on his way down career-wise, in the vivid world of my imagination he ran the game while neither breaking a sweat nor leaving the centre circle.

Prosinecki went to Real Madrid under a foreign player limit so had the potential but like a lot of flair players, very topical, came with problems and manager fall-outs thus. Could still see echoes of the potential in his technique at that point.

Seen that doc on ESPN yonks ago, been meaning to get a copy of it for nearly as long.

Most vividly remember Savicevic being interviewed mournful about the break-up because they had a great team, some Croat off camera shouts "You're a piece of s*it" and Saviceivc shouts back something like "f**k you, I f**k you in that gaping hole"

Nearly threw in Jugovic and Jarni for under-rated,

Some team: Suker, Boban, Boksic, Jarni, Stojkovic, Pancev, Savicevic, Jugovic, Spasic (Real Madrid), Prosenecki, Mijatovic, Mihaijlovic. 

Edited by Wolfcastle