Daft things non-football fans say

Kid Icarus

Inspired by the girlfriend thread in Chat, and by recent daft things that I've heard from non-football fans.

Two identical conversations I've had in the last two days. 

"How did Newcastle do?"
"Absolutely class, we won again and finished 11th"

"Out of how many?"

"20, but we were 19th not that long ago and have massively turned things around"
"That's not very good is it?"

:lol: Fucking idiots.

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Inspired by the girlfriend thread in Chat, and by recent daft things that I've heard from non-football fans.

Two identical conversations I've had in the last two days. 

"How did Newcastle do?"
"Absolutely class, we won again and finished 11th"

"Out of how many?"

"20, but we were 19th not that long ago and have massively turned things around"
"That's not very good is it?"

:lol: Fucking idiots.

Were they called Barry Glendenning? 

I see this on LinkedIn quite a lot - rugby fans (usually union) who on a clip of a rugby player scoring an impressive try or getting tackled hard and carrying on will feel the need to fall over themselves to say something like "FOOTBALLERS WOULDN'T DO THAT, THEY ALL DIVE AND CHEAT AND FALL OVER AND RUGBY IS BETTER OH AND WE RESPECT OUR REFEREES MORE TOO"

Of course, football fans watching a goal of the month compilation or whatever would never feel the need to compare what they're watching to rugby - because it's very obviously shit and boring and way inferior; much like its fans.

Rugby is such an odd sport, I know loads of people who are rugby fans but don’t like any other sport which I find weird as fuck. Whereas I like almost every sport apart from rugby 

Judging players solely on the Euros and World Cups, often just within one match, that they dip into every couple of years is a big one as well. 

Until he really clicked after a couple of games in the Euros last year I had non-football fans telling me that Kane is 'massively overrated'

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I see this on LinkedIn quite a lot - rugby fans (usually union) who on a clip of a rugby player scoring an impressive try or getting tackled hard and carrying on will feel the need to fall over themselves to say something like "FOOTBALLERS WOULDN'T DO THAT, THEY ALL DIVE AND CHEAT AND FALL OVER AND RUGBY IS BETTER OH AND WE RESPECT OUR REFEREES MORE TOO"

Of course, football fans watching a goal of the month compilation or whatever would never feel the need to compare what they're watching to rugby - because it's very obviously shit and boring and way inferior; much like its fans.

It's weird, rugby fans have such an obsession with football, always feel the need to compare their sport with football. Don't know any other sport that constantly compare itself with another set of fans on the regular like that. 

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Rugby is such an odd sport, I know loads of people who are rugby fans but don’t like any other sport which I find weird as fuck. Whereas I like almost every sport apart from rugby 

Even Grand Prix racing? 

3 minutes ago, LV said:

Even Grand Prix racing? 

Rugby is at the bottom for me and then F1 after that although I at least keep tabs on F1 without actually watching or following races in detail. Couldn’t name more than two active rugby players but I follow Cricket, Tennis, Snooker, Bouldering, Basketball and Cycling to greater and lesser degrees 

"What I just don't get is how they get paid so much money for kicking a ball around."

Strange how they never wonder the same thing about people who pretend to be fictional characters in the TV series' they're obsessed with, or literally any other form of entertainment. Totally brainwashed. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

"You've already seen the match, why do you need to see the highlights again?"

Usually said by a thick trollop who having consumed two hours of shite like X Factor will flick straight over to ITV2 for "X Factor The Extra Factor" or whatever.

EDIT: @Skeletora minute quicker but the sentiment remains :lol:

Edited by Pilko

20 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I can't get over the "respect the kicker" bullshit whenever there's a penalty/conversion and falling silent. A massive point if being a fan in the stadium is to play your part in giving your team the upper edge - and ultimately as a player to show you have the strength to overcome that psychologically.

One of the best examples I've been part of is in NFL games when the visiting team are on third down. Frenetic jeering to the max.

Hope this doesn't start a gender debate, but when my lass says it's disgusting how much the men are paid compared to the women.

I agreed, but explained that the men's game generates more interest therefore bigger sponsorship. But the women's game is making inroads.

She said that's sexist

This when she seen one game from the women's world cup.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

For me it's currently "You've already seen 3 lots of highlights, why do you need to watch the one with the radio commentary?"

[emoji38] me too.

"Because Ando sounds like he's came in his pants over a corner, right!"

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I can't get over the "respect the kicker" bullshit whenever there's a penalty/conversion and falling silent. A massive point if being a fan in the stadium is to play your part in giving your team the upper edge - and ultimately as a player to show you have the strength to overcome that psychologically.

One of the best examples I've been part of is in NFL games when the visiting team are on third down. Frenetic jeering to the max.

:lol: imagine it in footy. "Here shush man, Sunderland have got a free kick from 25 yards, don't be putting him off now"