'Big' club media promotion

TomYam

It's long been evident for anyone with eyes and ears that certain clubs - especially ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal - are constantly being hyped and promoted at the expense of ither clubs. For decades these clubs have had unbalanced representation in the corridors of power (FA, FL/PL, UEFA, newspapers, BBC, Sky, etc). 

Yesterday's play-off final between Huddersfield and Nottingham Forest was very interesting. I was decorating a room and was avidly listening to the build up and then the game itself. The day began with me being entirely neutral, but I found myself increasingly wanting Hudddersfield to win. The reason? The BBC correspondents were uniformly prejudiced in favour of Forest - even the referee seemed to jump on board the bias train. 

I'm probably just whistling in the wind, but this just gives succor to the belief that there's no such thing as a level playing field. 

There is a clear and obvious bias towards the 'big' clubs amongst all commentary unless the commentator has openly declared they prefer a club. (eg  when Lawrenson used to commentate on Liverpool, and Sourness for anyone who played against us after his sacking)

Forest are seen (rightly so) as bigger than Huddersfield, so will get the media bias in that match. Watch them in a cup-tie against Man City or Liverpool, and they won't get a mention....if they score or win it will because of LFC/MCFC failure not how good they may have been.

We saw it ourselves this season when we destroyed Arsenal....the narrative wasn't that we were the better team on the day, but how they were off and were poor/lacking the Arsenal spirit etc etc

Edited by gjohnson

28 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

There is a clear and obvious bias towards the 'big' clubs amongst all commentary unless the commentator has openly declared they prefer a club. (eg  when Lawrenson used to commentate on Liverpool, and Sourness for anyone who played against us after his sacking)

Forest are seen (rightly so) as bigger than Huddersfield, so will get the media bias in that match. Watch them in a cup-tie against Man City or Liverpool, and they won't get a mention....if they score or win it will because of LFC/MCFC failure not how good they may have been.

We saw it ourselves this season when we destroyed Arsenal....the narrative wasn't that we were the better team on the day, but how they were off and were poor/lacking the Arsenal spirit etc etc

After the game the pundits pretty much spent 45 mins discussion Arsenal only, definitely were not interested in talking about Newcastle.

24 minutes ago, hakka said:

After the game the pundits pretty much spent 45 mins discussion Arsenal only, definitely were not interested in talking about Newcastle.

Whilst I do totally agree that Sky/BT have a top 6 bias when it comes to how they cover games, I actually think that instance it was probably fair enough. Arsenal's CL hopes going up in smoke was a much bigger story than how good we looked in what was a no stakes games for us.