Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Hmmm didn’t know this from the athletic:

Ashworth is also unafraid to look elsewhere for insight and inspiration, using his connections to bring in Sir Dave Brailsford, the former performance director of British Cycling known for his ‘marginal gains’ philosophy, to address Newcastle’s first-team squad during pre-season.”

7 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Hmmm didn’t know this from the athletic:

Ashworth is also unafraid to look elsewhere for insight and inspiration, using his connections to bring in Sir Dave Brailsford, the former performance director of British Cycling known for his ‘marginal gains’ philosophy, to address Newcastle’s first-team squad during pre-season.”

He gave a talk when they were abroad on a team bonding thing. Think it may have been in Saudi 

Guest HTT II
2 hours ago, madras said:

He gave a talk when they were abroad on a team bonding thing. Think it may have been in Saudi 

He can speak Saudi?

Brighton fan here. Hope you don't mind me posting on this thread.

We all know Dan Ashworth has a v.good reputation for scouting players but I think there's a misunderstanding about what exactly he's done to earn that rep. He's not involved in identifying players - that's up to the scouts and esp. with clubs like Brighton & Brentford, data analysis. And the reason why those clubs have the best databases is because the data comes from the owners' gambling syndicates which has made them both billionaires.

Brighton had a data-led approach before Ashworth joined us but even with all the data, Brighton's recruitment was very hit and miss. What Ashworth did was to use data as a starting point not end result. He made sure scouts placed as much emphasis on things like player attitude, lifestyle as much as their football ability. Players must fit the club ethos. Us Brighton fans call it the 'no dick-head rule'. Our transfer success rate improved beyond measure. 

But Ashworth's talents don't stop there, he's a brilliant administrator. When he joined the FA in 2012, England national team was in the doldrums. A disastrous WC followed by a mediocre Euros. It's largely thanks to his restructuring that led to the success of England U18 & U21 and senior squad getting to a WC semi & Euros final. His time at Brighton was just as successful in its own way. Brighton is now a club where everyone: players, management, executives, admin staff - all have the same objective - maximise success of the first team. Our youth & U23 teams use the same coaching & management approach as our 1st team. We now have more youngsters coming through than we've had for years. All the admin staff at the club now get bonuses at the end of the year based on 1st team success. 

There's no two ways about it, there's no-one better at what he does but it will take a few years before you lot will really see the benefits. Best of luck for the rest of the season and lots of love to Big Dan Burn.

46 minutes ago, StevenSeagull said:

We all know Dan Ashworth has a v.good reputation for scouting players but I think there's a misunderstanding about what exactly he's done to earn that rep. He's not involved in identifying players - that's up to the scouts and esp. with clubs like Brighton & Brentford, data analysis. And the reason why those clubs have the best databases is because the data comes from the owners' gambling syndicates which has made them both billionaires.

Brighton had a data-led approach before Ashworth joined us but even with all the data, Brighton's recruitment was very hit and miss. What Ashworth did was to use data as a starting point not end result. He made sure scouts placed as much emphasis on things like player attitude, lifestyle as much as their football ability. Players must fit the club ethos. Us Brighton fans call it the 'no dick-head rule'. Our transfer success rate improved beyond measure. 

But Ashworth's talents don't stop there, he's a brilliant administrator. When he joined the FA in 2012, England national team was in the doldrums. A disastrous WC followed by a mediocre Euros. It's largely thanks to his restructuring that led to the success of England U18 & U21 and senior squad getting to a WC semi & Euros final. His time at Brighton was just as successful in its own way. Brighton is now a club where everyone: players, management, executives, admin staff - all have the same objective - maximise success of the first team. Our youth & U23 teams use the same coaching & management approach as our 1st team. We now have more youngsters coming through than we've had for years. All the admin staff at the club now get bonuses at the end of the year based on 1st team success. 

There's no two ways about it, there's no-one better at what he does but it will take a few years before you lot will really see the benefits. Best of luck for the rest of the season and lots of love to Big Dan Burn.

Great post. A strong start. 

Good post. I'd love nothing more than to build like Brighton, or Leicester. I'm not particularly interested in the wealth that might be available, beyond what is needed to catch up, I just want a club that we can talk about with pride. Historically we are a bigger club than Brighton, but that means nothing these days, and they currently stand as an example to us. 

I appreciate the remarks about getting the right character, but it worries me [worryingly] that Brighton failed to buy the solution to their attacking problems, during Ashworth's time there. Probably explains why we're looking at youngsters.

15 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Good post. I'd love nothing more than to build like Brighton, or Leicester. I'm not particularly interested in the wealth that might be available, beyond what is needed to catch up, I just want a club that we can talk about with pride. Historically we are a bigger club than Brighton, but that means nothing these days, and they currently stand as an example to us. 

I appreciate the remarks about getting the right character, but it worries me [worryingly] that Brighton failed to buy the solution to their attacking problems, during Ashworth's time there. Probably explains why we're looking at youngsters.

A very good point about our failure to buy a decent striker. I don't know the reason for that. It could be because Potter changes formations so frequently, even during a match and we've never had & never will have a striker with that versatility. Or it might be an unintended consequence of our 'no dick-heads' rule - it's hard enough trying to scout for decent strikers, restricting that to only the ones without an ego or streak of arrogance makes it much trickier.  

1 hour ago, StevenSeagull said:

Edit: I really do. Turf Club Saint Paul Minnesota USA.

Thanks so much for the insight. In a completely unrelated note, I have tickets to Steven'n'Seagulls in about 3 weeks.

Edited by McDog

10 minutes ago, McDog said:

Thanks so much for the insight. In a completely unrelated note, I have tickets to Steven'n'Seagulls in about 3 weeks.

Cheers for that. Never heard of them before but that's right up my street. A cross between Hank Williams III and Hayseed Dixie.

2 hours ago, StevenSeagull said:

Plenty of our best posters on here are fans of other clubs (arguably a worryingly high amount to be honest :lol:), so if you can stick to half of the quality of that post, please stick around mate :thup:

6 minutes ago, StevenSeagull said:

Cheers for that. Never heard of them before but that's right up my street. A cross between Hank Williams III and Hayseed Dixie.

They are actually from Finland. Good luck with the Brighton squad this year. They looked very good against Newcastle in the Amex.

He's shown he's not one to be fucked with mind. It might just have been bad timing for Watford, but turn down the final offer and  then it's on to Isak. If anyone thought we were bluffing about not being taken for mugs, they'll know better now.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

He's shown he's not one to be fucked with mind. It might just have been bad timing for Watford, but turn down the final offer and  then it's on to Isak. If anyone thought we were bluffing about not being taken for mugs, they'll know better now.

Good thing they’ve got Everton ready to bankrupt themselves in the background