Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

17 minutes ago, 80 said:

Doing his damndest in that video to highlight that he's had absolutely no involvement or close awareness of the club until very recently :)

He watched the women’s team…from afar. 

15 minutes ago, 80 said:

Doing his damndest in that video to highlight that he's had absolutely no involvement or close awareness of the club until very recently :)

Was going to post similar. 

'from afar, from afar..... FROM AFAR!'.... Aye aye Dan, you're fooling nobody you little tinker. 

Really fucking excited by this.  Listening to his and Eddies articulate speaking is class. What a change. 

22 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

“I just started yesterday but I’ve already had several conversations with Eddie” 😂 suuuuure 

TBF, he said he had to wait until "The two clubs said I could talk" so it's possible that occurred after they reached agreement and before the PL approved it. 

:lol: some of the interviews on NUFCTV man. 

"Describe your role."

[2 minute answer about joining things up and how being cohesive is so important]

Next question: "you mentioned the word cohesive. Is it important to be cohesive?"

Yes, man. :lol: That's what he just said. 

But enough being a miserable twat because this is the latest "pinch yourself" moment. I used to look on with such envy at clubs like Brighton who would employ the likes of Ashworth, with the goal of being the best they could be. We felt like the only ones not trying and fuck that was shit. And terminal, too, in terms of me ever being as emotionally invested as I was aged 5-23ish.

But now we've got a great manager, a squad with a few really quality players, money to burn in the transfer market, the prospect of enhancing key infrastructure, and now a bloke who's one of the best in the business at a role I could only dream of us even having at the club over the last decade. 

Finally we're behaving in a way we've been aching for for years. It really feels great; everything we wished for and, in time,  probably more. 

As for Ashworth himself, I thought he came across predictably well and in keeping with every other interview I've seen him do. I bet we won't know the half of what he does but I'd put me house on him being a huge success here. 

Feels weird that we have nicked a highly regarded Executive from another football club. Got a lot of faith in him to take us forward. Whilst it was weird employing a head coach before a Sporting Director, I think him and Eddie will work perfectly together. 

This was posted before in the Executives thread, but in case anyone missed it: https://trainingground.guru/articles/dan-ashworth-inside-the-mind-of-a-technical-director

Really cool in-depth interview with Ashworth on his role at Brighton etc. Goes into a lot of detail, and a very engaging listen for such a dry subject.

That podcast in general is pretty great actually, it's a really nice reprieve from the usual over the top podcast-y antics you get most places, just in depth long form interviews with industry professionals about their jobs. It's kind of sad but that format's pretty unique these days.

Wheels are in motion we're looking for data analysts https://www.nufc.co.uk/club/jobs/

An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced and highly motivated Data Analyst to join the expanding and developing Football Performance department at Newcastle United Football Club.

The role will involve working closely with key stakeholders in the senior football hierarchy, the Analysis Department and the Recruitment team and will be primarily responsible for the collection, and analysis of Individual and Team Performance related data analytics.

2 hours ago, 80 said:

“I mean, FROM AFAR it certainly looks as though the club are doing well, I mean, how could an outsider like me, who would have had no involvement obviously, I couldn’t tell you anything at all about even the slightest inside information, as an outside person, a layman, if you will, certainly someone not at all in the loop, why I didn’t even know Eddie Howe was the manager until you asked me about him.”

I'm fucking owa the moon about this bloke being DoF (or Sporting Director), this is the first time in all these decades where it feels like the club is actually trying to appoint competent people at all levels of the club (not just as managers).  The club has been blighted throughout most of its history by a general lack of professionalism at all levels - we'd sometimes have good managers, but it always felt like they'd be undermined by other parts of the club.  Sub-par medical depts, training facilities, academies, boards etc.  Badly run football clubs don't tend to win anything - and NUFC has never been particularly well run.  I can't see this club being anything but well-run going forwards - and that's more exciting than any superstar centre forward signing to me - we've seen plenty of those; far more great no 9s than trophies.

This guy - and the appointments to come - will make us a proper, professional football club.  Geed up.

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: some of the interviews on NUFCTV man. 

"Describe your role."

[2 minute answer about joining things up and how being cohesive is so important]

Next question: "you mentioned the word cohesive. Is it important to be cohesive?"

Yes, man. :lol: That's what he just said. 

But enough being a miserable twat because this is the latest "pinch yourself" moment. I used to look on with such envy at clubs like Brighton who would employ the likes of Ashworth, with the goal of being the best they could be. We felt like the only ones not trying and fuck that was shit. And terminal, too, in terms of me ever being as emotionally invested as I was aged 5-23ish.

But now we've got a great manager, a squad with a few really quality players, money to burn in the transfer market, the prospect of enhancing key infrastructure, and now a bloke who's one of the best in the business at a role I could only dream of us even having at the club over the last decade. 

Finally we're behaving in a way we've been aching for for years. It really feels great; everything we wished for and, in time,  probably more. 

As for Ashworth himself, I thought he came across predictably well and in keeping with every other interview I've seen him do. I bet we won't know the half of what he does but I'd put me house on him being a huge success here. 

Yeah. He explained how he saw himself as the "centre of the wheel" and the interviewer was like, "I can do a better metaphor than that"

7 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

Wheels are in motion we're looking for data analysts https://www.nufc.co.uk/club/jobs/

An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced and highly motivated Data Analyst to join the expanding and developing Football Performance department at Newcastle United Football Club.

The role will involve working closely with key stakeholders in the senior football hierarchy, the Analysis Department and the Recruitment team and will be primarily responsible for the collection, and analysis of Individual and Team Performance related data analytics.

Such a short window, probably already have them lined up (but you have to advertise the vacancies, legally speaking)