Toon v Athletic Kick off Time

Jimmy Redgw

G'day everyone

As an English Athletic Bilbao supporter with a soft spot for the Toon, I cant wait for July 30th. 

Looking forward to teaching many of the Basque boys the words to 'big river' as possible! Couple of questions I was hoping you coudl help us out with though? Does anyone know what the kick off time will be yet, or whether they are actually openiong sale tickets to 'away supporters' or just mixing it all. 

I hope following the glorious fan relationship in 1994 we are all mixed together. 

Ho'way the Lads AUPA Athletic !!!!

Cheers

Just now, Jimmy Redgw said:

G'day everyone

As an English Athletic Bilbao supporter with a soft spot for the Toon, I cant wait for July 30th. 

Looking forward to teaching many of the Basque boys the words to 'big river' as possible! Couple of questions I was hoping you coudl help us out with though? Does anyone know what the kick off time will be yet, or whether they are actually openiong sale tickets to 'away supporters' or just mixing it all. 

I hope following the glorious fan relationship in 1994 we are all mixed together. 

Cheers

Hope you have a great time, JimmyR (despite the result… 😉). 
P.S. any chance of all the fans wearing your away kit?? 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Redgw said:

G'day everyone

Cheers

Nothing confirmed but I think it would be a safe bet to assume 3pm (UK).

8 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Thought that was only on fridays.

Football in UK is never a 3pm KO unless on a vary rare holiday. KO is Saturday so chances are it will be 3pm.

Lets not confuse someone reaching out for help with a poor reference to a forum in joke.

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Hope you have a great time, JimmyR (despite the result… 😉). 
P.S. any chance of all the fans wearing your away kit?? 

Cheers mate. Yeah I'll be old school, wearing my beauts 2012 green away shirt.  Appreciate a cockney walking into The Strawberry in red and white stripes may not get the warmest of welcomes. haha

47 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’m sure you’ll be warmly welcomed anywhere these days. Would love to hear your take on Trippier’s time with you. 

Ha well he was actually at Athletico Madrid rather than Bilbao. Although as a Spurs fan, I very much sing his praises. 

One of the greatest things about Athletic Bilbao is that they only have players from the Basque region (north east Spain and south west France).  They're also the third most successful Spanish club of all time with 8 league titles and 24 Domestic cups and never relegated.  To have done this whilst also having all their squads essentially come from their version of Wallsend Boys club, really makes them a special club. Unlike Barca, Athletic truly are 'more than a club'. 

Amongst the Athletic fans I know, there's a real affinity with the north east of England, given historical ties (I wont mention why they wear red and white). Also the club was founded in the 1800s by mineworkers from NE England.  

Edited by Jimmy Redgw

56 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The fixtures are on the NUFC website with Bilbao being listed as ‘12am’ on the Saturday. 

Is that just a placeholder or something?

Would screw our forum 5-A-Side if so 😬 

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is there a reason to think that’s not the kick off time though? 

I'd take that to mean midnight though. 

Really hoping for evening kick off, lots of drinking time needed 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The fixtures are on the NUFC website with Bilbao being listed as ‘12am’ on the Saturday. 

Is that just a placeholder or something?

I had a check when this tread was created and you’d have to assume it’s equivalent to TBC for the website.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Redgw said:

Ha well he was actually at Athletico Madrid rather than Bilbao. Although as a Spurs fan, I very much sing his praises. 

One of the greatest things about Athletic Bilbao is that they only have players from the Basque region (north east Spain and south west France).  They're also the third most successful Spanish club of all time with 8 league titles and 24 Domestic cups and never relegated.  To have done this whilst also having all their squads essentially come from their version of Wallsend Boys club, really makes them a special club. Unlike Barca, Athletic truly are 'more than a club'. 

Amongst the Athletic fans I know, there's a real affinity with the north east of England, given historical ties (I wont mention why they wear red and white). Also the club was founded in the 1800s by mineworkers from NE England.  

I'm surprised an Athletic supporter would refer to Atlético as Athletico to be honest, it just adds to the confusion. In Spain they just call Bilbao 'Athletic' amongst friends and family I know from the Bilbao/Eibar area.

Edited by HawK

1 minute ago, HawK said:

I'm surprised an Athletic supporter would refer to Atlético as Athletico to be honest, it just adds to the confusion. In Spain they're just called Bilbao 'Athletic' amongst friends and family I know from the Bilbao/Eibar area.

Yeah you're right, I was referring to Madrid as Atletico. Bilbao is very much Athletic NOT Athletico. Also goes back to the clubs English heritage. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Redgw said:

Yeah you're right, I was referring to Madrid as Atletico. Bilbao is very much Athletic NOT Athletico. Also goes back to the clubs English heritage. 

I thought you meant we were playing against Caulkin and Waugh. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Redgw said:

Yep, I very much know the distinction, I went over every summer for the best part of a decade with my wife until Covid hit :)

The Newcastle UEFA cup tie in the 90s was actually the ice breaker when I asked her where in Spain she was from. We met in Brighton where I was living at the time, and no-one she'd ever met outside Spain knew where Bilbao was except me.

Following this club indirectly led me to my wife and my 2 awesome kids :blush:

They are waiting to hear from tv company to see if they want to show the match live (or not) 

issue is they had pencilled in 3pm kick off time and because the EFL kicks off on the same weekend their might be an issue with games (not being allowed to be televised in the U.K. with a Saturday 3pm kick off time

So they are waiting to hear back !