Grassroots Football

pinkeye

Following some discussion in the Sun'lun thread about our kids that play football at the Grassroots level it seems there is some interest in having a dedicated area to talk about this very interesting topic.  Even if you dont have kids playing football yet or you are coaching a team, maybe thinking about refereeing or anything to do with the grassroots level of football this should be the place to discuss.  Hope it doesn't flop....

What age did people’s kids on here get into playing football and enjoying it? My three and a half year old daughter is starting to enjoy passing a ball round more but it’s on and off. Would love for her to be up for a kick about regularly 

As I was saying before now, my son is now finished his grassroots journey having played his last season at U16 level for both Felling Magpies (Saturday) and Wallsend Boys Club (Sunday).  He has decided to leave those clubs to focus on his next steps which will be to tackle three A Levels at Park View School in Chester Le Street.  We looked at a few places; Newcastle United Foundation, Gateshead College, Tyne Met College to name just three but, was most impressed by the standards set at Park View.  They even have a fleet of min buses that pick the kids up from dedicated collection points around the NE.  

I would love to give commentary on his progress if anyone is interested and even if you are not it should make decent reading.  I am sure many of us here have got kids playing football, tell us about it...  

My only advice would be to NOT take them to Little Kickers or any of those private companies, as its all about money in. They let the kids run around, which isn't entirely bad, but just remember you're paying for that experience. Most local Grassroots Clubs have toddler/reception groups. But most FA Affiliated clubs currently don't touch under 6 football, which is probably why its currenty a free-for-all for private companies. 

2 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

We looked at a few places; Newcastle United Foundation, Gateshead College, Tyne Met College to name just three

This is the other side of Grassroots that has turned into a bit of an enterprise, there's so many 'education' providers offering football programs now the market is crazy. I think as long as you remember it is education you're looking for over football you should be good, as there's lots of private companies that have a really poor education offer. In the past Tyne Met and Gateshead College had good programs, from what I can remember. Plus Gateshead have ties with Gateshead Academy and first team. 

Edited by OCK

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

What age did people’s kids on here get into playing football and enjoying it? My three and a half year old daughter is starting to enjoy passing a ball round more but it’s on and off. Would love for her to be up for a kick about regularly 

Most clubs start around 5 years old but, you can find clubs like Soccer Tots that take much younger, they make it more about fun and team work rather than out and out football.

Felling Magpies - for example - have their cubs set up but, I don't know what age group they start at.

Girls football is becoming huge by the way!!

2 minutes ago, OCK said:

My only advice would be to NOT take them to Little Kickers or any of those private companies, as its all about money in. They let the kids run around, which isn't entirely bad, but just remember you're paying for that experience. Most local Grassroots Clubs have toddler/reception groups. But most FA Affiliated clubs currently don't touch under 6 football, which is probably why its currenty a free-for-all for private companies. 

That is decent advice - we tried the Soccer Tots and it was a decent experience for us I can see where you are coming from in terms of the "avoid" message.

Tyneside Futsal is brilliant if you can track down a session near to where you are.  They are a private venture but, a cut above the rest in terms of what they want to do for the kids.

Its entirely unregulated, which means no one really checks to see if they're qualified and/or DBS checked to work with kids. So, if you do go to one make sure you ask to see qualifications (which is something I've forgotten to do now and again as a parent). 

Edited by OCK

1 minute ago, OCK said:

Its entirely unregulated, which means no one really checks to see if they're qualified and/or DBS checked to work with kids. 

True enough but, they are not all bad.  Just some of them! :-)

No not all of them are bad, just be aware of what you're paying for and what you expect to get out of it. If you're happy that your child is getting 30 minutes to run around with a football in a pretty relaxed environment without much structure then that's fine. I'd be interested at watching a few of the Futsal groups to see what they offer though. 

Edited by OCK

10 minutes ago, OCK said:

This is the other side of Grassroots that has turned into a bit of an enterprise, there's so many 'education' providers offering football programs now the market is crazy. I think as long as you remember it is education you're looking for over football you should be good, as there's lots of private companies that have a really poor education offer. In the past Tyne Met and Gateshead College had good programs, from what I can remember. Plus Gateshead have ties with Gateshead Academy and first team. 

That is such a great point.

Wallsend Boys Club attracted tons of private ventures offering football "academy" type experiences which they would align with Newcastle College to offer a B-Tech in Sport.  My son did B-Tech in sport between year 10 and 11....  this is not a great start to their adult life post education.  Hence my son chose the school because he can sit A Levels albeit it will be tough for him as all of the spare time he would usually have to work in the common room will now be spent training and playing football, he will have to work really hard to be successful at both the school and the sport but, he recognised that already!

2 minutes ago, OCK said:

No not all of them are bad, just be aware of what you're paying for and what you expect to get out of it. If you're happy that your child is getting 30 minutes to run around with a football in a pretty relaxed environment without much structure then that's fine. I'd be interested at watching a few of the Futsal groups to see what they offer though. 

You should track down Tyneside Futsal, my son spend 6 years with one of their coaches and I can personally vouch for their professionalism, integrity and putting the child first.

I don't remember what was around growing up other than the town/area football clubs growing up.

It's interesting looking at how it is evolving or works in Canada with Tim Hortons "Tim bits" soccer the biggest thing with massive participation and has done a great blanket job of getting kids started. It's generally down to the local community associations as to the level of coaching though, which at u5, u7 and even u9 is rarely at an experienced level and they are begging for coaches. The training and standards are slowlu getting better but there is always a need for volunteer coaches and while the word volunteer is attached it will likely always be counterproductive to advancing the game. Huge numbers though. 

Local academies seem the way forward and they are at least set up with experienced qualified coaches at least. That doesn't stop parents throwing money at the expensive big name clubs from Europe "identification" camps or similar which are simply money grabs.

Big business everywhere these days I guess.

Should add as a country that only just got its National League in 2019 there is a lot of backfill needed and in the works. A coast to coast div. 3 is slowly starting which can grow up to a regional div 2 and maybe a Canadian premier league 2 in time (likewise womens leagues). There was a commitment to pro/rel but when push comes to shove i am not convinced CPL founding owners will let it go through and risk relegation. 

It's slow progress but it's coming. It will only trickle down to help the kids programs but it's a long process.

Edited by toontownman

My lad started training at 6. He's 8 now. Plays for Heaton Hawks. 

Absolutely loves it. The games are fantastic to watch. The development in such a short space of time is phenomenal.

Fair play to anyone who coaches at this age. These kids are difficult to control at times. 

Edited by Infatuation Junkie

1 hour ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

My lad started training at 6. He's 8 now. Plays for Heaton Hawks. 

Absolutely loves it. The games are fantastic to watch. The development in such a short space of time is phenomenal.

Fair play to anyone who coaches at this age. These kids are difficult to control at times. 

Heaton Hawks are a one of the better clubs in the area, a couple of my sons friends played there in this last U16 season.  Sadly the U16 team this year was not as successful as they have been previous years and looked poor by their former standards.  Many factors can be brought into play here but, the main one is by the time the lads are 16 they usually have some, let's call them, outside interests and consequently girls / drinking seems to be more of a priority.  Heaton lost a couple of their better players through this loss of interest and that hurt them.

To your point though, at 8 years old it is absolutely fabulous to watch the kids.  They develop so quickly and it is possible to pick out the ones who are slightly stronger, slightly quicker and more "aware" even that that young age.  Not that I am a fan of this academy system of plucking kids out at that age group.  Football should be first and last a game that the kids love, no way should they be put under pressure so young.  Or for that matter any age really.

Great idea for a grassroots thread @pinkeye

I've coached at Felling Magpies & Redheugh, both great clubs and a huge shout out to all coaches and those who help & support the team who give up their free time to develop young children to becoming better adults, football is only part of it, for me all about providing them with the tools to apply themselves as they progress in life.

I've coached, managed and refereed in kids football, I loved every bit of it bar one thing.....Parents, some  absolute knobheads and fuckwitches.  Thankfully there's only ever a few who went overboard.

What age do girls teams really start? I've got 3 girls. Had always held on that little lad dream. Pathetic on my behalf ha. My eldest is  taking quite abit interest in it recently. I've got nephews who play for red house farm and I've seen theyve got lasses teams but seem quite a higher age group.

Also been warned off the little kicker type of stuff Cos it's a rip off

Haha, the parents of the next Lionel Messi....  they can be awful.  I have seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears...  More than anything I am genuinely embarrassed for them for making such a scene or for their astonishing lack of knowledge on all matters relating to football or even - in some cases - life itself.

I also mentioned that now that my weekends are free again I am giving some consideration to giving it a try myself to volunteer to coach or maybe even do the referee course.  I have a thick enough skin to put up with the insults and comments from people who are nothing short of idiots and I really feel that I want to give something back to Grassroots as it has given me so much joy for so long!  I just need to assess how much spare time I have to play with.

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

What age do girls teams really start? I've got 3 girls. Had always held on that little lad dream. Pathetic on my behalf ha. My eldest is  taking quite abit interest in it recently. I've got nephews who play for red house farm and I've seen theyve got lasses teams but seem quite a higher age group.

Also been warned off the little kicker type of stuff Cos it's a rip off

The biggest issue I can see with girls football is for clubs to have enough players to make a team.  They can all start at U6 level but, every club I have ever had any association with has always been desperate to get more players in.

Wallsend Boys Club have a great set up for the girls, I think they even call it Wallsend Girls Club but, I couldn't tell you what age groups they have.  I can direct you to one of the coaches who is specifically involved with the girls coaching there if you are really interested.

6 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

The biggest issue I can see with girls football is for clubs to have enough players to make a team.  They can all start at U6 level but, every club I have ever had any association with has always been desperate to get more players in.

Wallsend Boys Club have a great set up for the girls, I think they even call it Wallsend Girls Club but, I couldn't tell you what age groups they have.  I can direct you to one of the coaches who is specifically involved with the girls coaching there if you are really interested.

Wallsend is a bit of a trek to be fair. I'm over the water. I took her to this open day type thing at ryton and Crawcrook. In the last holidays. Was just a couple of quid and she enjoyed it. Was mainly little lads like. About 3 girls. Think there's similar on over the holidays so will take her again

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

Wallsend is a bit of a trek to be fair. I'm over the water. I took her to this open day type thing at ryton and Crawcrook. In the last holidays. Was just a couple of quid and she enjoyed it. Was mainly little lads like. About 3 girls. Think there's similar on over the holidays so will take her again

Up until the age of 11 or 12 boys and girls can play in mixed teams.  I think it does the girls well to play with slightly more physically imposing  players as well...  

My boy was in Tynedale Mini league U9s last year. Our club has around 22 players this age, so it takes 2 teams and 3 coaches, of which I am one.

We have a real range of abilities, some of them just need a ball at their feet and treat it like any out of school club. Others have a real passion for it and take it semi seriously.

We have 2 girls amongst them and neither of them are what I would consider our worst players. One in particular has great feet but loses concentration alot but she will be cracking when she moves across to girls footy.

I know this is cringey parent stuff but my lad is doing really well. Got top goalscorer and most player of the matches awards at end of season. Consistently one of the best 2 players in our team. Cracking left footer, plays wide/forward.

I do worry that we as coaches might hold some of our players back when they get to certain level. I wish there was a way they could get more quality coaching at this age, to push them as far as they can go.

Edited by STM