Nick Pope

Rich

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/06/21/exclusive-newcastle-united-close-signing-goalkeeper-nick-pope/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1655807892

Exclusive: Newcastle United close to signing goalkeeper Nick Pope from Burnley

Newcastle United are close to agreeing a deal to sign England international goalkeeper Nick Pope from Burnley but are being frustrated in every other area of their recruitment due to inflated asking prices, wage demands and agent fees.

Sources have told Telegraph Sport that the purchase of Pope is far more advanced now than long-standing attempts to sign Reims striker Hugo Ekitike and Lille centre back Sven Botman.

Pope’s arrival would be to challenge Martin Dubravka for the number one jersey next season and the 30-year-old is desperate to make the move to Tyneside.

The deal will cost Newcastle between £8m-10m and it is understood that while the transfer has not been completed at this stage Burnley want to sell following their relegation to the Championship and talks are at an advanced stage.

The arrival of Pope, who has ambitions of forcing his way into England’s World Cup squad, will see former England youth international goalkeeper Freddie Woodman leave Newcastle for Preston North End. It is also increasingly likely that back up goalkeeper, Karl Darlow, will look for a new club in order to play more first team football.

Newcastle’s players are due back for the start of pre-season training on July 1st but the progress that has been made on the Pope deal is in stark contrast to yet more delays and frustration in the attempts to bring in Ekitke and Botman.

The Newcastle hierarchy are understood to be getting increasingly exasperated in both negotiations and have already started to look at alternative targets.

Lille are refusing to lower their asking price for Botman from £37m, even though West Ham signed another centre back from the French league, in the form of Morocco international, Nayed Aguerd, for just £30m this week.

Newcastle have offered the same money for Botman, but have not had any success in persuading Lille to accept the offer. There is even a suggestion that Lille will only sell for £40m even if Newcastle do raise their current bid.

AC Milan have also refused to match Botman’s asking price and are thought to have offered less than Newcastle as things stand. The player is happy to move to Newcastle but would also be willing to play in Italy. The 21-year-old is currently on holiday and is waiting to be told by Lille which bid they have accepted.

Newcastle are currently looking at other centre back targets but have not entirely given up on Botman, insisting the £30m offer to Lille remains on the table.

It has been a similar story with Ekitike. Newcastle have agreed a fee with Reims, which will see them pay around £12m for the player this summer in a deal that could eventually net the French club more than £26m for the 19-year-old.

However, the player has gone on holiday and there has not been any contact with him or his representatives for more than a week and calls have not been returned.

Newcastle have been informed that Ekitike is still being offered to other clubs in Europe and there is a worry he no longer wants to make the move.

As with Botman, a deal remains on the table but manager director of football Dan Ashworth and chief scout Steve Nickson are looking at alternative striker options with manager Eddie Howe.

It now seems increasingly likely that the only outfield signing before the start of pre-season will be Matt Targett, who was already on loan from Aston Villa at the end of last season.

"Closer to signing" than either Botman or Ekitike according to Sewpa Luke, so probably time for a thread.

Appreciate the decision being taken out of my hands there after the shameful Diaby palarva earlier this month. 

I'm all in for this tbh, think it would be a tidy signing.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I can't wait for him to link up with Mohamed Elneny and Eddie Nketiah.

He'll get a good round of applause when he's unveiled by Mauriss prior to the Atalanta friendly.

14 minutes ago, James said:

Would mean we have only signed one player, manager, or coach since takeover who hasn’t been employed by BURNley or got the letters B U R N in their name.

Targett

I would’ve just stuck with what we have until a genuine upgrade is available. Pope is a Wood standard signing IMO, the difference being we were desperate for a forward and in danger of being relegated when we signed Wood. I’m struggling to see the need for Pope.

3 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I would’ve just stuck with what we have until a genuine upgrade is available. Pope is a Wood standard signing IMO, the difference being we were desperate for a forward and in danger of being relegated when we signed Wood. I’m struggling to see the need for Pope.

He’s better than Dubravka (just not at making passes further than 10 yards)

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Well with Dyche all that was necessary was to hoof it forward and any keeper can do that.

Yeah I meant that Dyche wouldn't be too keen on a goalkeeper trying to play out.