Nick Pope

Rich

Just had a look at a Burnley Forum and 95% of them were saying he's amazing and that they are annoyed the fee is so low.

Can't believe we've stolen basically England's first choice keeper (If Gareth wasn't in charge) in his prime for 10 mil.

Wild how we are getting such crazy bargains as the world's richest club.

Not even just Pope it's Trippier, Burn and even Guimarães who has shown he's worth far more already.

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=1&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=4b40d9ca&p1yrfrom=2020-2021&player_id2=3a949a25&p2yrfrom=2020-2021

Notable stats

/ Pope saves 75.2% of shots on target, compared to Dubravka's 68.5%. 

/ Percentage of clean sheets between them is negligible (29%/28% of matches).

/ Pope successfully cuts out 11.1% of crosses compared to Dubravka's 8.1%.

/ Pope had, on average over the past two seasons, 1.53 outside-the-box defensive actions per match, compared to Dubravka's 0.38.

/ Pope's positioning tends to be higher up the pitch than Dubravka, he also has more touches in the middle third of the pitch. 

/ Pope's pass completion is 49.9% compared to Dubravka's 66.4%. In fact Dubravka's distribution metrics are better at all distances (alarmingly Pope only has 89.7% success rate on short passes, compared to Dubravka's 100%, with more than double the amount attempted). However, Pope creates more shot chances; 0.24 per match compared to 0.05, probably due to the amount of long balls. 

/ Pope has played in 68 games over the last two seasons compared to Dubravka's 39.

Summary: Pope is more reliable in terms of fitness, he saves more shots and plays higher up the pitch, but he's a lot weaker in terms of distribution. 

Great signing! I'm a fan of Dubs but he's not been the same against crosses since getting injured. Or maybe its age, I don't know. He's definitely not as good as when he first started for us and would wow the crowd by plucking the ball out of the air. For other goalkeeping skills, I think Pope and Dubs are pretty much even stevens. I don't know who's better at organizing those in front of him.

As with all our other defensive signings, another solid and eminently sensible one that I expect will reap rewards on the pitch. The big need for this summer is actually attacking players, so I'm (more) excited about what happens there.

Weird how invested in Pickford Sunderland fans are in the Twitter comments. He left 5 years ago, played less than half the number of games for them that Mannone did and made more league appearance for Bradford City than he did Sunderland.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Weird how invested in Pickford Sunderland fans are in the Twitter comments. He left 5 years ago, played less than half the number of games for them that Mannone did and made more league appearance for Bradford City than he did Sunderland.

Hates the Mags tho Marra 

Goalkeeper isn't the most glamourous position, and the value of a top-class one is probably under-rated. It can make a big difference. 

Looking back, there have been occasions when a good keeper has almost won his team the league - Schmeichel at Man U, Schmeichel Jnr at Leicester, Southall at Everton, Shilton at Notts Forest. Not saying that's going to happen here of course, but on the orthodoxy that a team is strong from the back forwards and the middle outwards, this could be a very important signing.

We seem to have been chasing a number of keepers, so Eddie has clearly identified this as a significant area that needed strengthening. This lad now has a bit of experience behind him and looks ready to step up a gear.

I'm not knocking the solid signings that are Targett, Burn and Pope but we need to add some sauce to the team now. We've done well with the reliable PL players, now we need to add some exciting attacking players and they will cost money.

1 hour ago, Holloway said:

A number of Burnley fans bemoaning the low fee, saying it's payback for the Wood business, that'll do me

I don't think we needed any payback, we quite literally relegated them 😂