Nick Pope

Rich

He’d be a good signing for me.  England squad regular, looked decent every time I’ve seen him.

I think he’s a better keeper than Dubravka, though I realise not all will agree with that - but at the very least, he’s solid competition, and far better than Darlow.

And if the fee is correct, that’s a bargain in today’s game.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment on here - I suspect too many are expecting too much (I can only imagine what Twitter looks like).  Top half finish has to be the aim next year (and a crack at a cup run) - we’re not going to be signing several 50m+ footballers. 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I've seen a few things which indicate he might be decent on the ball like but can never tell how much faith I should put into it.

Noticed this average distance thing when sharing his FBRef stats the other day. If our defence isn't going to get any quicker this summer then adding a goalkeeper that's much, much better at reacting quickly and sweeping up behind them could be very important indeed.

Excellent potential signing and £10m is an absolute steal. Perfect competition at GK, now just shift Darlow and we're much, much stronger in that area.

Edited by Willow

Said it before in the other thread, we need atleast two decent keepers if we want to move forward and upwards.

We can't afford or attract the top tier keepers yet so Dubs and Pope should be good to maintain our current progress. Dubs should still be no.1 choice but Pope can be the regular keeper in the cups and if Dubs gets injured or is out of form.

Pope is better than Darlow, Woodman and Gillespie. Happy to get him instead of Henderson.

Aye a reckon there's a chance Dubravka will be moved on if a decent offer came in for him. Especially if we need to raise funds due to a tight budget. Its why I think it's abit strange why we are going for a keeper when we still need 4 or 5 outfield players ahead of a keeper

Woodman is off and Darlow is due to follow.  Dubravka misses a lot of games and isn’t the greatest of keepers.

Not sure most clubs would question having at least two PL quality keepers at the club.  Pre-Ashley, it was something that we usually had. 

Just now, jack j said:

Aye a reckon there's a chance Dubravka will be moved on if a decent offer came in for him. Especially if we need to raise funds due to a tight budget. Its why I think it's abit strange why we are going for a keeper when we still need 4 or 5 outfield players ahead of a keeper

Doubt it; Woodman is gone and it looks like Darlow is on his way too. We definitely need a goalie.

1 minute ago, jack j said:

The Pope deal is probably a really easy deal to do due to Burnley's relegation, they'll be wanting him off their wages and he's possibly got a release clause due to the relegation. Perhaps the ease of the deal means it's being done first before the laborious deals for the outfield players without clauses. 

Guest dazzanufc1892

Commands his area, great shot stopper, very few mistakes, better than a large proportion of keepers in the premier league I believe. 10m is nothing and we will probably get half that back for darlow going. Good business.

controversial take….. I’d have him over Lloris, and that’s enough for me

If I could be arsed / knew how, I would love to run the list of people complaining at this signing against the list of people complaining about the performances of Karl Darlow. I'd wager there would be considerable overlap.

Think £10m for Pope would be good business. Dubravka has been unchallenged for no.1 since the day he started, either he plays better due to some real competition or he is replaced by a good standard PL keeper who in turn is being kept on his toes by Dubravka.

Woodman and Darlow can get gone, keep Gillespie until we can find a Carson/Rob Green/Lee Grant style 3rd choice solution, or until a hell-raiser comes through the academy.

Is the squad stronger with him in It or not, undoubtedly yes.  Plus not having to rely on Darlow or Woodman when Dubs gets his yearly injury that keeps him out 4-6 weeks.  Having a more competent keeper is probably worth an extra 6 points 

Edited by Andy84