Nick Pope

Rich

Interesting to note in the Pope interview that he mentioned the process to sign him started a couple of weeks ago.

We only heard about it the day before he was due up for a medical and it was 90% done.

9 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Anyone paid attention on what he's like to spot counter attacks? It's one of my biggest gripes with Dubravka. When he takes a cross/corner there's sometimes opportunities for a quick release to ASM/Almiron/Wilson, for example, and he holds onto it far too long.

Completely agree with this observation of Dubravka, hopefully one of the key areas Pope can improve us in.

1 hour ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Anyone paid attention on what he's like to spot counter attacks? It's one of my biggest gripes with Dubravka. When he takes a cross/corner there's sometimes opportunities for a quick release to ASM/Almiron/Wilson, for example, and he holds onto it far too long.

Interesting as one of the things I’ve noticed a lot is the amount of times he’s caught the ball, rushed out to the edge of his area to release it, only to shrug his shoulders and having to hold on to it because nothing was on.

I think we’re looking at the signing of the summer. 

Trippier will be well clued up on his distribution and we will see a different keeper in that aspect from the one that punted it long constantly. 

59 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Interesting as one of the things I’ve noticed a lot is the amount of times he’s caught the ball, rushed out to the edge of his area to release it, only to shrug his shoulders and having to hold on to it because nothing was on.

He does that, but unless I'm missing something, to me there there are sometimes appears to be options. Not sure why he doesn't give it.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Say what you want about this guys injury record but I'm not sure I'm happy with him opening the batting for England this close to pre season.

Good job he's batting 3 then

I see Chris Wood was playing for Hampshire last night as well

Just now, jack j said:

I mean Crawley is playing so he might as well be an opener :lol:

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Aye I wasn't sure when I made that joke. Took a punt.

5 hours ago, STM said:

I'm not knocking the solid signings that are Targett, Burn and Pope but we need to add some sauce to the team now. We've done well with the reliable PL players, now we need to add some exciting attacking players and they will cost money.

This is me as well. These are all very solid signings, especially from a defensive POV, but it's the midfield which will allow us to control more of the play, and some really top quality attackers who will win matches. Patience is definitely going to be needed, might need another season of mid-table consolidation before we can really start making inroads.

Guest HTT II

We could badly do with a proper DCM who can also control the ball like Fabinho does for LFC, a RW forward, maybe even a playmaker although I think Bruno can do that and most importantly a top-class CF and a ball playing CB. 

I am really pleased with this signing though, let's be clear about that. I always thought Dubravka was one of our more solid players and that we didn't really need a replacement, but Pope is a really top class goalkeeper, and for the money it was a great decision to bring him in.

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Darlow on loan / low fee to Burnely wouldn't be the worst move for all involved now

Burnley have 3 goalkeepers and only 16 players so they won’t go there 

• 3 weeks later...