Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

It's canny interesting the whole Nick Pope shenanigans. He is a solid keeper but just seems like he is a down to earth run of the mill character. This kind of raises his public profile and likeabilty which won't hurt his England chances in contrast to Pickford who is larger than life and more regularly in the public eye. If I put on a tin foil hat I would almost suggest the club pushed the whole thing a little.

Got us a point today, guessing obvs but I reckon Dubs would have let one of those in. He’ll have a mare at some point no doubt but was really good today and imo Henderson wouldn’t have got to at least one them.

28 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He’s got a weird way of letting stuff bounce off his hands sometimes but he’s bloody incredible with his positioning. 

Yea, that may have prompted some of the game day "He's been bad" sort of comments. His clever tip to himself after not securing a deflection early on showed me the guy is pretty damn good.

Guest HTT II

Some fine saves from him, which were at times point blank almost and his throwing was good, but his long kicks were poor. Very commanding though I thought!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62554168

Nick Pope (Newcastle United)

Solly March should have had two goals and would have done had it not been for Pope. Adam Lallana then had a header saved when Pope had no right to be anywhere near it, while a deflection off Dan Burn seemed to wrong-foot the Newcastle goalkeeper, but Pope and Fabian Schar still managed to keep Brighton out. This was a good result for Newcastle who, like Brighton, are making steady progress under a very good manager in Eddie Howe.

On 14/08/2022 at 08:44, HTT II said:

his long kicks were poor. 

Seems like the standard "have to provide something negative to add balance" throw away comment to any goalkeeper. Dubs got the same critique under Rafa. Krul when he was at the top of his game. Harper during his good spells. Given as long as I can remember. Wouldn't be surprised if Shaka and Srnicek got it too :lol:

Never really understood it. The success rate of a punt up the field will in 19 out of 20 instances be determined by who wins the duel for it as players will have time to reposition to where the ball is landing.

Guest HTT II
25 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Seems like the standard "have to provide something negative to add balance" throw away comment to any goalkeeper. Dubs got the same critique under Rafa. Krul when he was at the top of his game. Harper during his good spells. Given as long as I can remember. Wouldn't be surprised if Shaka and Srnicek got it too :lol:

Never really understood it. The success rate of a punt up the field will in 19 out of 20 instances be determined by who wins the duel for it as players will have time to reposition to where the ball is landing.

I understand most players not just ‘keepers when kicking it long will have a less than perfect hit rate if you like, it’s just a pet hate of mine, I’d rather a ‘keeper just passed it short than hoof it for the sake of it and that goes for outfield players too, there is a time and a place for a long kick of course, but statistically you’re giving the ball away cheaply. If Bruno did it a lot he’d rightly get criticised and so should a ‘keeper IMO. I like how he seems very commanding mind and his throws are superb. I’m very pleased with his signing. We now have two very very competent and solid ‘keepers.

Edited by HTT II

28 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I understand most players not just ‘keepers when kicking it long will have a less than perfect hit rate if you like, it’s just a pet hate of mine, I’d rather a ‘keeper just passed it short than hoof it for the sake of it and that goes for outfield players too, there is a time and a place for a long kick of course, but statistically you’re giving the ball away cheaply. If Bruno did it a lot he’d rightly get criticised and so should a ‘keeper IMO. I like how he seems very commanding mind and his throws are superb. I’m very pleased with his signing. We now have two very very competent and solid ‘keepers.

Nah. It's super fashionable at the minute to want to see goalkeepers passing it short across the face of their goal, but look at how that bullshit turned out for De Gea this weekend. 

Get it up the pitch and leave the pretty stuff to the players who are paid to do that. Goalkeepers save shots, command their areas and control the defence. No need for risky shit in front of your own goal.