Nick Pope

Rich

2 minutes ago, greydos said:

Pope saves Tchouameni’s goal against France. For all Pickford plays well for England his hamstring and glutes can’t always make up for his tiny arms

Yep, Pope or Ramsdale need to be number 1.  It hink we would have won the euros with pope or at least had a better chance

Pope is the best in the business at everything according to most "experts" in the media apart from he cant kick the ball, he must have hoofs instead of feet !! I would not change him for any other keeper personally.

4 hours ago, TK-421 said:

I think the thing with Pickford with England, he's had the time and settled into the position, whereas Pope is getting the odd game here and there, and obviously will be slightly nervy, and has made errors in recent appearances. Given the time to settle as Pickford was, I think he could be as good/better for England.

The impressive thing with Pope for us, becasue the defence has been solid, he often doesn't have much to do in a match, or many shots to face, but when he does, he's on it, and still reactive. Save at Palace as an example, but also the two last night.

Aye. I think Pope is a better GK. But I understand why Pickford is picked ahead. He's comfortable in the role and is largely excellent for England. His distribution is useful in tight national games. Pope has looked nervous for England. England play in a low-block and don't utilise him being aggressive off his line.

Goes under the radar somewhat as he's not flashy at all or someone that will make the news. He seems the type of guy that will watch The Last of the Summer wine with his wife on a Sunday evening snacking on a few Werther's before retiring to bed at 21:30. He's such a terrific shot stopper. If he could improve his distribution a little so it's just above average, there wouldn't be a better keeper in Europe. There probably isn't anyway right now to be fair, but his kicking is the one thing that can let him down.

In him, Pickford and Ramsdale, England have three very good keepers to push each other.

Edited by Tyler

Yeah I don't get that at all. I was specifically watching out for it last game and I don't think he had a single misplaced pass, had to do some footwork under pressure, and was fine.

I think, like you said, it's just a lazy way to hedge your praise.

He does have a really awkward first touch and is poor under any sort of pressure. He doesn’t take daft risks, though. He’ll just punt it off if nothing is on and he is getting closed down. 

His quick throws and roll outs are quality. We almost always go long off goal kicks and they are fine. When he gets a pass back, he’ll usually look for Schar or Botman and let them sort it. But he can even play the odd diagonal out to Trippier and they’re often spot on.  

I do think his touch and kicking/passing is below average for a keeper at this level. But considering he is world class at everything else. Who the fuck cares?

You can count on one hand the mistakes he’s made this season. Come to think of it, I can’t really think of any?! 

I really don't agree with any of what you said there regarding the supposed weakneses. I just don't see it that way. As said above, he's no Ederson but Ederson is not even close to a better shot stopper / box commander. 

Edited by Kanji

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I really don't agree with any of what you said there regarding the supposed weakneses. I just don't see it that way. As said above, he's no Ederson but Ederson is not even close to a better shot stopper / box commander. 

You’ve never seen him have an awful first touch where he is stood really stiff and square on? And just looking like he is finding the whole thing awkward? He’s even let it run under his foot a few times with nobody near him. You can hear the ground get a bit restless, whilst also laughing when it happens :lol: 

We even position Botman and Schar in a way to mitigate him having to try any fancy passes. But, TBF, he has been pretty decent when he has gone a touch longer to the flanks. 

It has been something that has been highlighted most of his career. It’s

not as bad as people make out and I don’t even see it as an issue for the way we play. But it’s obviously a slight flaw in his game and clear to see. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Haha, remember noticing this at the time and wondering if it was some mystical thing that all keepers can just weirdly do, in the same way that wherever I am in the kitchen I can always lob the teabag straight into the cup. 

Edited by Hovagod