Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

28 minutes ago, jack j said:

Yes. It goes on loyalty points which can only be gained by season ticket holders. If there is tickets left then they will go to member sale but due to us now being decent that will rarely happen.

So basically cross my fingers and toes, then see what happens!

Looking the the Southampton game at the start of next month. Only just gone on sale so guess its all about how many of you northern want to make the trip down.

It’s not quite every game that requires loads of points, Brighton and Wolves went down to 15 this season, but equally, it’s highly unlikely Southampton (or any other game) will drop to Members sale.

I think they really need to keep 5-10% of away fans back for a ballot to allow others a chance for points like.

At the current rate, even if I can get an away League Cup game (Tranmere sold out midweek ffs [emoji38]) once a season, it's going to take me 100+ years to get close to ever getting enough points for some fixtures.

3 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I think they really need to keep 5-10% of away fans back for a ballot to allow others a chance for points like.

At the current rate, even if I can get an away League Cup game (Tranmere sold out midweek ffs [emoji38]) once a season, it's going to take me 100+ years to get close to ever getting enough points for some fixtures.

Yeah, I agree that is becoming an issue, particularly with regard to how youngsters are supposed to get on the ladder.

I don’t blame them for not implementing it straight away post-takeover though. I think reviewing it after a full season of being ‘good’ again would be sensible 

On 05/10/2022 at 12:09, TheGuv said:

I actually queried this with a Trust board member @ Burnley away last season. He was sound enough, but my argument was (as someone who previously had 150pts) that they lied about their scheme, and the current system allows people to just buy tickets to hoard points and sell them on, thus the other spending the money etc and that person getting the loyalty point. He said 'well you're here aren't you :lol: which is very true and shut me up, but it also proved the point I was making really. FWIW the kid I got the ticket off has over 200pts and has been to 1 away game in 2 years. He's done the hard miles, 100%, but there needs to be something - as you suggested above - to give youngsters coming through a chance of going to away games without having to beg someone.

Would be devastated if my son couldn't experience what I did in the early 00s - drinking warm cans at 8am as a 14 year old on a bus full of older fellas. Fucking class.

Points should either be rolling (that won't be popular), a % to people below the threshold in a ballot, or you have to prove it's you who attends the game. 

10 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I actually queried this with a Trust board member @ Burnley away last season. He was sound enough, but my argument was (as someone who previously had 150pts) that they lied about their scheme, and the current system allows people to just buy tickets to hoard points and sell them on, thus the other spending the money etc and that person getting the loyalty point. He said 'well you're here aren't you :lol: which is very true and shut me up, but it also proved the point I was making really. FWIW the kid I got the ticket off has over 200pts and has been to 1 away game in 2 years. He's done the hard miles, 100%, but there needs to be something - as you suggested above - to give youngsters coming through a chance of going to away games without having to beg someone.

Would be devastated if my son couldn't experience what I did in the early 00s - drinking warm cans at 8am as a 14 year old on a bus full of older fellas. Fucking class.

Points should either be rolling (that won't be popular), a % to people below the threshold in a ballot, or you have to prove it's you who attends the game. 

The only way the can bring in ID checks is if they do it on a random basis. So say 200 tickets get kept back for collection with ID at the away box office on a random basis. You simply couldn’t do all 3k or it would just be chaos and you’d have to turn up two hours before ko.

If you were wanting to actually ID people as they went through turnstiles, you’d need to provide additional staff, and again I think you’d see massive queues.

I totally get your overall point, but I think we need to be careful that in the quest for ‘fairness’, we don’t negatively impact the away day experience too much.

25 minutes ago, SteV said:

The only way the can bring in ID checks is if they do it on a random basis. So say 200 tickets get kept back for collection with ID at the away box office on a random basis. You simply couldn’t do all 3k or it would just be chaos and you’d have to turn up two hours before ko.

If you were wanting to actually ID people as they went through turnstiles, you’d need to provide additional staff, and again I think you’d see massive queues.

I totally get your overall point, but I think we need to be careful that in the quest for ‘fairness’, we don’t negatively impact the away day experience too much.

Brighton have started doing this.

10 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Brighton have started doing this.

Yeah, I saw that. Obviously isn’t full proof by any stretch, but the punishments they’ve brought in for flouting it seemed like quite severe (10 game ban), so could at least make people think twice.

I personally think the way forward is e-tickets that can only be downloaded to one specified device. Not advocating doing that any time soon, and people will say ‘what about fans that don’t have smartphones’ etc, but I feel like that’s the eventual destination of travel with this.

Edited by SteV

56 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

What about the bloke who's passing his 150 odd point ticket down to his son/nephew etc to use? Not sure why that should be a problem tbh

1 minute ago, jack j said:

What about the bloke who's passing his 150 odd point ticket down to his son/nephew etc to use? Not sure why that should be a problem tbh

Bit of a contentious point that one tbh. Does the son have a right to those points just because his dad has been going for years?

Some will say yes, others no.

10 minutes ago, SteV said:

Yeah, I saw that. Obviously isn’t full proof by any stretch, but the punishments they’ve brought in for flouting it seemed like quite severe (10 game ban), so could at least make people think twice.

I personally think the way forward is e-tickets that can only be downloaded to one specified device. Not advocating doing that any time soon, and people will say ‘what about fans that don’t have smartphones’ etc, but I feel like that’s the eventual destination of travel with this.

This is what's used at NFL games to my knowledge, so you're probably right. It would help as well.

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

Bit of a contentious point that one tbh. Does the son have a right to those points just because his dad has been going for years?

Everyone would say no except the person who wants to do it :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

I get what you're saying for sure, and when I had my ST with all those points, I was guilty of it myself (getting tickets for others and not actually going). But in the interests of being fair to all, we need to make sure it doesn't become an absolute closed shop. An away game is fantastic - as you will know - even those spanking defeats turn into the best days. We don't want to become a club that takes that experience away from younger fans going forward.

Do I think people should lose their points? Absolutely not. Do I think it needs reviewed? Absolutely yes.

I've always advocated giving points for ST renewal, cup + friendly games as well as purchases in the ground/club shop. Sure, people will abuse it no doubt, but an easy way for people to get points quick. The argument of 'go to the unfashionable games and you will gain the points' doesn't wash anymore. The lowest it's dropped this season (I get that it's early doors) is 15 points. That's 15 away games. Not sure many 15/16/17 year old lads and lasses would have been able to accumulate that so far.

I'm not asking for it to be completely overhauled, just some positive changes to make it fairer. Sadly, I doubt it will change anytime soon as the Trust seem to hold the cards and they only protect their interests, as we all know.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Surely the dad has the right to pass on his points rather than do nothing with them? Like you say a contentious point 

the loyalty point system definitely needs looking at. the fact you can only get them by attending away games is ridiculous. having a season ticket and going to every possible home game = 0 loyalty :lol: aye, righto.

should give you something for every game, including friendlies, cups, womans etc. would help attendances for starters.

that only solves half the problem though, they need to stop people hoarding points by buying tickets and selling them on. they shouldn't expire either.

1 minute ago, Big River said:

the loyalty point system definitely needs looking at. the fact you can only get them by attending away games is ridiculous. having a season ticket and going to every possible home game = 0 loyalty :lol: aye, righto.

should give you something for every game, including friendlies, cups, womans etc. would help attendances for starters.

that only solves half the problem though, they need to stop people hoarding points by buying tickets and selling them on. they shouldn't expire either.

100% agree with the bold. Helps the club out with attendances/matchday income and rewards fans with points. 

Dunno how they could police stopping people selling on tickets though.

2 minutes ago, Big River said:

We've just bought tickets for the Womens game next month. Was £3 for me and £1 for the bairn. Problem there if you offered loyalty points is that people would buy tickets for events such as these without any intention of turning up, effectively buying a loyalty point. You should definitely get them for home cup games and pre season friendlies though.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Dunno how they could police stopping people selling on tickets though

Only way is ticketless really, although I have kept every single ticket from every game I've ever attended so I'd be gutted :lol: But having a resale like they do in US, but if you sell it on you lose the point.

Points awarded for every attended game, as above - cup, friendlies and womens - as well as being able to accumulate points via purchases within the ground/club shop/.co.uk

Pointless though - put it to the club will get told no, put it to the trust will get told no. 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Dunno how they could police stopping people selling on tickets though.

yeah, not sure either tbh. but some sort of partial ballot + points never expiring might help reduce the number of people doing it though.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

We've just bought tickets for the Womens game next month. Was £3 for me and £1 for the bairn. Problem there if you offered loyalty points is that people would buy tickets for events such as these without any intention of turning up, effectively buying a loyalty point. You should definitely get them for home cup games and pre season friendlies though.

technology could help here. points are only activated once your ticket has been scanned on the turnstile.

As someone who has over 230 points i can see all side of this. The current system suits me fine as i can go when i want however do i think it is 100% fair no i don't so what is suggest is points last for 3 years and then drop off so those that go will still have first dibs so to speak but people who went years ago but don't now will rightly lose them.  As well as that the system the use at Brighton should be brought in so that you have to show ID for a percentage of the tickets so only real fans are using their real numbers and not passing them on. Not perfect but better than the current set up even though that benefits me personally.

2 minutes ago, Big River said:

yeah, not sure either tbh. but some sort of partial ballot + points never expiring might help reduce the number of people doing it though.

technology could help here. points are only activated once your ticket has been scanned on the turnstile.

Technology will eventually be the answer in one form or another. It’ll take time like, and how you go about linking things up with what’s available at away grounds, especially smaller clubs, I have no idea, but it will happen one day.