Why does anti-semitism exist?

James

Since the birth of Judaism, Jews have been victims of the worst atrocities and disputes in history.

First it was the Pharoahs.

Years later during Roman times, the Greeks in Alexandria were attacking the co-habiting Jews whenever Rome lost its grip on the city.

Then there of course is the holocaust - and it is a much overlooked fact that many European governments (and its citizens) were supportive of the earlier stages of anti-semitism - something we are still apologising for today with our foreign policy.

Now it is the Arabs who are the worst perpetrators, for example the ban of Jews entering the U.A.E. - imposed by the Sheikh who wantsto buy Liverpool. It is a concern that if he is successful, a new breed of anti-semitism could develop in Britain.

Those are just the main highlights, but there are numerous examples of discrimination and ill-feeling towards Jews amongst individuals, communities, city councils, and whole countries - something that is not really observed as happenning to members of other minority religions.

Why is this though? Is there something which it is natural for a Jew to do, which easily enrages others perhaps?

Guest TheDutchman

I wish I had  the anwser. The jews have always been very clever and succesful people. In Germany (before WW2) jealousy was huge by the Germans.

The number of incidents of muslims insulting jews in Amsterdam is increasingly high lately. And thats a terrible evolvement.

" Jews have been victims of the worst atrocities and disputes in history."

well jews think so but they have at least survived in some numbers

There aren't many 'Merican Indians about and the native australians took a beating

and the Tasmanians were wiped out completely   

The persecution of the Jews in Egypt needs to be separated from anti semitic acts committed since. This is part of Jewish history which they wrote and it can be construed that the biblical account was written by them to their advantage. Subsequent invasions from Persia resulted in diasopra but apart from destroying the temple had little long term effect and these invasions were political rather than racial. Ie expansionist conquest.

The Catholic Church was anti jew for 1900 years until they repudiated the teaching that the Jewish people as a whole were responsible for killing the Christ.

For the whole of this period of 1900 years persecution was really based on this and religious conflict where islamic invaders conquered around the Mediteranean in particular Spain.

Poland was totally enlightened and despite being part of the Holy Roman Empire granted freedom of religion to all.

England allowed Jews only to be financiers (Shylock) until the 18th century.

These attitudes were carried over into the 20th century in Germany, Russia, Ukraine and other countries arouind the central European plain.

At 6 million dead during the Holocaust the Jewish losses were part of 30 million.

The new post war Jewish State of Israel is now experiencing something of a backlash but at this point, in fact since 1945, one has to differentiate between anti semitism and anti zionism. Neither are acceptable but one is political and one racial.

A complex subject but some very good articles on Wikipaedia.

I don't think the really old persecutions can be described as "scape goating" - people like the Romans and the Egyptian Empires handed out  beatings to anyone and everyone 

the real problem for the Jews was that they are the precursors to two highly agressive expansionist religions based orignially in their own region.  Both of these had to differentiate themselves from the other two (otherwise why join?) and hence both have demonised the other two .  Unfortunatley  the jews remained a small group and never had a secure base

The rise of Zionism & Israel has changed that to a degree of course to the point where they are the bully boy on the block locally - doesn't help the worldwide image but then I guess they feel it's payback time

I don't think the really old persecutions can be described as "scape goating" - people like the Romans and the Egyptian Empires handed out  beatings to anyone and everyone 

the real problem for the Jews was that they are the precursors to two highly agressive expansionist religions based orignially in their own region.  Both of these had to differentiate themselves from the other two (otherwise why join?) and hence both have demonised the other two .  Unfortunatley  the jews remained a small group and never had a secure base

The rise of Zionism & Israel has changed that to a degree of course to the point where they are the bully boy on the block locally - doesn't help the worldwide image but then I guess they feel it's payback time

Not all religious and secular jews are in Israel or support Israel, yet are the victims of anti-semitism. Which shows what on behalf of the perpetrators? collectivism (all jews have the same political views), scapegoat (you are a jew so responsible for the actions of Israel), unreason (because it only takes a minute to realise that not all jews have the same political views)

Agreed (for once)

which is why some of us make the difference between anti semitic and anti Zionist on here

antisemitism predates the foundation of Israel and is literally "Scape goating" - blaming a small and distinct minority for the evils and ills of society in general.  It is unsuportable and totally wrong.

There's an old Sci -fi short story about a man who manipulates people and his credo is that all he has to do is to make one (large) group aware of a smaller group and their differences to be able to set up a political situation of discriminbation and predjudice

also a Dr Suess story which is not disimilar  ..............................................................

if you see "other"  people as a "threat" then you will react against them - see the Daily Mail or the Volkischer Beobachter for methodology

Guest Terry2nil

Yes, 4 Jewish males were recently hung up to a tree and stoned near to my home. They also had excrement 'posted' through their letterbox and smeared on their windows. It has been brushed under the carpet. But we are awaiting the response. They say it was a group of Muslims from another Town.

Where do you live Terry?

BTW I have never encountered any anti semetism in Holland

Anti-islamic feelings yes, anti-semetism no

I have heard quite a few people getting stoned in Holland though!

:oops: again!

Since christians believe Jesus was "sent to die for our sins" then the Jews just took their pre-ordained part in it - which makes scapegoating typical irrational religious nonsense.

I would say it was due to the way they build very insular communities - people see "closed doors" which promotes xenophobic fear.

My dad, who's not jewish himself, is a doctor on the subject(antisemitism) here in Sweden and the antisemitism is increasing all over Europe. He did a study on Intolerance in association with the swedish government recently that showed that around 17% of Swedens teenagers "aren't really sure that the holocaust ever happend" and a worrying large number of people "wouldn't like to have a jew as their neighbour".

As some people have said, I find it important to separate anti-zionism from anti-semitism, as important as separating jews from israelis. Many jews are not agreeing with their government and shouldn't take the blame for what they're doing.

Btw there was a conference in Iran recently, the main subject was to discuss wether the holocaust ever existed or not. Swedish media and government didn't bother to comment as much as you expect them to. Was it discussed in british media?

Yes, 4 Jewish males were recently hung up to a tree and stoned near to my home. They also had excrement 'posted' through their letterbox and smeared on their windows. It has been brushed under the carpet. But we are awaiting the response. They say it was a group of Muslims from another Town.

i can't agree more

with anyone who says ur a F***ING IDIOT!!!!