UEFA Women's Euro 2022: England are European Champions

Disco

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think England would give any men’s team a run for their money at that level and I’m not comparing, I’m just trying to express how decent they are. They’d have smashed us under Bruce for example easily!

Not even close.

There were some nice moments during the game, the two goals during normal time were both superbly set up and taken but generally the standard of play was worse than anything on the men’s pyramid. Blyth would comfortably beat them. 

That said, it’s a pointless comparison to begin with. There are many reason why we have male/female sports separately in most cases.

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Well I beg to differ, again I know of a women’s senior teams giving their under 18 male equivalents a run for their money and even recording the odd win, obviously it doesn’t get reported on so as not to embarrass the men’s game. You’re right though, we shouldn’t compare!

You don't actually believe this do you?

Guest HTT II
Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

World champions USA lost 5-2 to FC Dallas' u15s btw.

Aye but the ‘Merican’s don’t know how to play soccer!

Just now, McDog said:

I had a wonderful time having a couple of pints and watching your lasses win it. I may be half German but was pulling for the Lionesses.

I beg your pardon 🤭

Sorry. Childish I know.

16 minutes ago, maybe_next_year said:

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2022/Jul/31/england-to-celebrate-euro-2022-victory-with-fan-event-at-trafalgar-square-20223107

Only 7,000 allowed to a first-come, first-serve event tomorrow? Seems a recipe for carnage. Still tempted to try and go, such a seminal moment in English football. 

Trafalgar Square you say? Hope they’ve asked the permission of the Mackems first, seeing as that’s their established territory now, since they ‘took’ it. 

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Have seen so many young women and girls be inspired by football in recent years. It's been an absolute game changer for them, their families, and the schools they go to. It's given them hope for a better future. Fucking amazing stuff.

This just here. 

You men had that for so long. We've never had it. I played football as a youngun and never ever watched women's football. Now I look at little girls seeing England play and...win something... It's amazing. The standard of the game will rise with more and more professional contracts being given out. It will just get bigger and I hope in a different way than the mens. They don't have to be the same. It has to be ours. Something for us to be proud of, to unite. 

Women have no idea of their power it's been repressed for so long!!! 

15 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

This just here. 

You men had that for so long. We've never had it. I played football as a youngun and never ever watched women's football. Now I look at little girls seeing England play and...win something... It's amazing. The standard of the game will rise with more and more professional contracts being given out. It will just get bigger and I hope in a different way than the mens. They don't have to be the same. It has to be ours. Something for us to be proud of, to unite. 

Women have no idea of their power it's been repressed for so long!!! 

We went to see "Wor Bella" at Blyth Phoenix. 

Cracking play, about WW1 woman's football teams, how they came about, played in front of 10s of 1000s and were subsequently put back in their box and banned from playing. If they'd carried on playing who knows where that could've led. 

https://www.worbella.co.uk/

2 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

The difference is massive mate. Here's the Brazils women's team with women's players if the year involved getting beat off an under 16s club side. Just no point in comparing everyone knows men are going to be stronger/faster etc. What matters was the game was good to watch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/football/news-gremio-mens-under-16s-beat-brazil-womens-national-team-6-0-20210113.amp.html

5 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

Stop spoiling the fun 

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think England would give any men’s team a run for their money at that level and I’m not comparing, I’m just trying to express how decent they are. They’d have smashed us under Bruce for example easily!

That's absolute rubbish to be honest

Why can't we just be happy? Be absolutely delighted that England have won the European Championships at a sold out Wembley by defeating Germany, winners of 8 (eight) of the 11 championships before this one. 

The constant comparison with the men's game, even if at times good natured and well meaning, isn't helpful, needed or worthwhile, in my opinion. So a 150+ year old, multi billion pound industry with the best sports science, slick marketing, saturated broadcasting and with no real barriers is better than a game barely legal for 50 years and professional for 20. Aye, well done, lads. How many championships has that won? 

Things are fairly shit at the moment, generally, but we have this genuine beacon of glory to be celebrated, something for the nation to be proud of - if only for a short while. If we're wanting comparisons: so far there have been no reported arrests, no signs of racism (directed either towards opposition players or our own), no vandalism, hooliganism or anti social behaviour to write home about. 

This is something to be proud of. Victory or defeat, I'm not going to be whincing at what I would be reading about in the morning - no trashed cities abroad or closer to home. Nothing toxic. 

Families of both nations actually able to watch a game of football together because this is what it is. Football. A sport. Not men's football or women's football. Football. So many youngsters are going to be inspired by what they've seen over the last couple of weeks and that's amazing. 

Good feelings are few and far between right now and we need to embrace it! If Euro 2022 wasn't your thing then that's absolutely fine, if you're not going to be watching the upcoming WSL season then again that's absolutely, perfectly fine. You're not a misogynist if you thought the commentary tonight was, to be polite, grating, because I thought it definitely was nor are you alone with being initially confused if a headline appears about a key Arsenal player breaking their leg in five places and they're referring to the women's team. It's cool (obviously not the broken leg element). 

Who knows what the hell I'm on about. I'm genuinely still a wee bit excited that we've won the Euros. I've watched more of the women's side this month than I ever have in my life and I shall be watching more. The whole set up is a credit to the country and for a sadly all too brief moment, I don't feel as awkward to be English and that's down to them.

Guest HTT II
9 hours ago, Magpie said:

That's absolute rubbish to be honest

Ah let me bask in their glory man, I’m just super happy for the women’s game and feel it unduly gets stick so I’m probably way too defensive and agree, we needn’t compare it to the men’s game, they have shown they can stand on their own two feet.