More possession orientated this season?

BrianSwan

Do you think Howe with the pressure of instant results off the table, and more, quality players, will go back to his Bournemouth style?

Bruno, Botman, Schar and Burn are all very good at recycling possession, add in another CM and maybe Newcastle can average about 50% of the ball.

Midfield and attack aren't good enough to do so yet unfortunately. Midfield aside from Bruno doesn't use possession well enough and the attack isn't good enough to have sides sit deep against us so we have to recycle the ball in their half to break them down.

Be a couple seasons yet before we start averaging 60%+ possession in games. 

8 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

Do you think Howe with the pressure of instant results off the table, and more, quality players, will go back to his Bournemouth style?

Bruno, Botman, Schar and Burn are all very good at recycling possession, add in another CM and maybe Newcastle can average about 50% of the ball.

I think just the by product of a full pre season under Howe, the removal of the threat of relegation, the addition of Botman alongside Schar, and God willing Wilson being more available will all already see our possession improve a fair amount.

Another central midfielder in the mould of a Paqueta, Eriksen, Aouar or Brandt and we'll see even better results as far as that is concerned, yes.

Need to strengthen our midfield first for that to happen. Never mind if we get injuries or suspensions. One top quality RW and CM to add to our best eleven then yeah we would look much better. If we are aiming relatively high then it’s a bit naive to go into the season with only Bruno more or less. Joelinton too arguably, but then we would need someone else to pull the strings. Shelvey and Willock and Longstaff won’t do it. Shelvey at times but no, not on the whole. There’s a reason he goes too deep so often. Because he needs too much time on the ball. He also cannot get out of right situations under pressure very well. I know he did pretty decent last season but you’re naive if you think he’s good enough overall. Backup at best. 

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

To manage 50% posseession?

Well his last season at Bournemouth they were at 44.1% and the likes of Brighton and Southampton were at around 50%, and so we can definitely do it with the current team.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/ballbesitz/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2019/plus/1

Well how many times under him last season did we manage it ? We are currently only one player different to how we ended the season in terms of starting 11 and we didn’t manage it many times at all then.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Well how many times under him last season did we manage it ? We are currently only one player different to how we ended the season in terms of starting 11 and we didn’t manage it many times at all then.

He has a pre season to prepare a style now

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I know, I gave all the reason's why I could see it improving significantly.

I think just the by product of a full pre season under Howe, the removal of the threat of relegation, the addition of Botman alongside Schar, and God willing Wilson being more available will all already see our possession improve a fair amount.

Another central midfielder in the mould of a Paqueta, Eriksen, Aouar or Brandt and we'll see even better results as far as that is concerned, yes.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I know, I gave all the reason's why I could see it improving significantly.

Yeah I know but your reasons are all based on what ifs and I’m simply basing it on what I saw from pretty much the same group of players last season. I also unfortunately don’t see us signing another CM this summer.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, our style of play was about disrupting the opposition. We were rarely overrun when paying sides outside the top 4 even with low possession stats so it wasn't even an issue.

I suspect our style won't really change much either, but with Wilson back and hopefully a top winger and/or box to box attacking mid we'll be able to control games better higher up the pitch.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Yeah I know but your reasons are all based on what ifs and I’m simply basing it on what I saw from pretty much the same group of players last season. I also unfortunately don’t see us signing another CM this summer.

So you basically believe last season's circumstances have nothing to do with it, and the players are just inherently incapable? I would have to disagree.

I saw enough of an improvement just from how awful we were with the ball under Bruce to believe that with even more preparation going into the season, and all the other things I mentioned, that things will improve even further. 

Edited by KaKa

I don't think Howe cares for tiki-taka possession as such. It's more about the experience and composure to control crucial periods of games and the fitness required for high tempo attacks, fast counters and episodes of aggressive pressing. 

Just now, KaKa said:

So you basically believe last season's circumstances have nothing to do with it, and the players are just inherently incapable? I would have to disagree.

I saw enough of an improvement just from how awful we were with the ball under Bruce to believe that with even more preparation going into the season and all the other things I mentioned, that things will improve even further. 

Fair enough it’s all about opinions, I’d be massively shocked if our current starting 11 suddenly becomes a possession based side, the players that need replacing aren’t capable of it.

Shelvey has never been a regular in a top 7-8 side. Mostly been on a level much below. Yet so many people seem happy to have him in and around the 1st team. Because when considering how thin our midfield area is when it comes to quality then he will be playing many games this season. Too many unfortunately. We ain’t getting anywhere with players like him and Longstaff or Willock playing far too many games for us this season. Don’t be foolish saying that a few of these played during our good run. It’s not sustainable. How many times haven’t we seen teams come up from the Championship and ride on a positive wave and do extremely well in their first season only to then break apart more or less the next season. Take away Bruno and we don’t even have a midtable midfield. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, junkhead said:

I don't think Howe cares for tiki-taka possession as such. It's more about the experience and composure to control crucial periods of games and the fitness required for high tempo attacks, fast counters and episodes of aggressive pressing. 

True, but the guy that started the thread asked about 50% possession, which is not a tiki-taka style domination of possession.

I cannot remember seeing many newly promoted sides comfortably contain the entire league (other than Liverpool, City and Spurs) over half a season like. Obviously we don't want to be starting with Shelvey or Longstaff in an ideal world but Howe has us extremely well drilled. Usually lesser teams do it with a low block and absolute aids football.

It's not even like we were spawny either, or relied on purple patches from attacking players. Our attack was absolute garbage it's impossible it could be any worse next season.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

59 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

Are you Bryan Swanson?