2022 Commonwealth Games, Birmingham

Paullow

Opening Ceremony tonight on BBC1 at 7pm. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Commonwealth_Games

Quite looking forward to this starting tonight, extensive coverage on the BBC and being in England definitely adds a bit more interest. I'm most interested in the athletics, boxing, swimming, and field hockey, although I'll probably primarily stick to the BBC's main coverage, so plenty of gymnastics and cycling I would have thought.

My brother in law is there with the Kenyan basket ball team, hoping to catch a few games. My wife took the boys to see him the other day as it’s been a few years and they got to meet a few of the players.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

My old personal trainer is there, powerlifting for Jamaica. If she can teach me to bench press she must be good.

Hope she wins gold!

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't know what her expectations are, she's very stoked just to be there. Obviously she's an amateur and getting funding for it isn't easy.

Aye they are seriously underfunded. My bro-in-law runs the Kenyan basketball federation and has done great stuff with them, they’ve played all over the world including Paris and the US. I’m hoping they do well in the competition!

The athletics schedule makes absolutely no sense. World Championships, Commonwealth Games and European Championships inside a month. :lol:

I've never got into these games which is weird because the summer Olympics is probably my favourite sporting event. Maybe I'll give it a go this time. 

Edited by Decky

5 hours ago, Pata said:

The athletics schedule makes absolutely no sense. World Championships, Commonwealth Games and European Championships inside a month. :lol:

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but nothing they could have done really. The Europeans probably won't have too much impact because outside of the 4 home nations (and crown dependencies) there's hardly any other European countries in the Commonwealth, Malta and Cyprus off the top of my head, and with the games being in England, there will generally be more interest in them here, so a good chance for athletes to get their names out there more, especially with the wall to wall BBC coverage. Hopefully most of the Jamaican and African stars will make it, but you couldn't blame them if they did skip them this year.

Dina Asher-Smith unfortunately withdrew, possibly with the Europeans in mind as she pulled up in the relay last week, but a good chance for the likes of Keely Hodgkinson and others to replace her as the athletics 'face of the games', especially as if the fields were as strong as they could be, she would have far more chance of a gold medal.

Love how mental they are. Just loads of mental shit hoyed together with pointless dancing. Tokyo one was boss for just mad symbolism.

I always thought it would be quite interesting if the Australian states competed individually like the UK home nations do. I'm sure I once read (perhaps most likely made up) a medal table based on such a thing and they still did pretty well. 

They were independent colonies prior to federation, after all. 

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Is Birmingham particularly famous for their Bulls?

As far as I am aware, only for the Bull Ring Shopping Centre in the City Centre