James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

8 minutes ago, kenlau88210 said:

If Maddison is leaving he will be going to a top 6 team. I find it hard to believe he will even contemplate to join us

People said the same of Bruno and Botman. We are a big club, we have big ambition. Even when we were shite, good players wanted to join us... see Owen, Wijnaldum etc.

17 minutes ago, STM said:

People said the same of Bruno and Botman. We are a big club, we have big ambition. Even when we were shite, good players wanted to join us... see Owen, Wijnaldum etc.

Yeh and the more we get in the easier it gets to attract them. Also I bet when Bruno goes away the Brazilians ask him all about us, so we have mini agents giving first hand experience of life here.

28 minutes ago, STM said:

Problem with Owen was, he never wanted to join us or be here. Depending which tale of his you want to listen to, of course. Certainly didn’t pass the eye test. 

Just now, POOT 2.0 said:

I think it's still on, tbh. And I reckon he's up for coming. 

Just a personal feeling, there's no ITK. 

I agree, for the internet types it’s another day with no activity but they won’t be doing anything to disrupt things before the match tomorrow. I’d say there’ll be another bid by Monday.

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

Why would they be asking about Newcastle? :lol:

Definitely, the takeover made us spoken about in mainstream media for all to see. No doubt players will have seen this and thought oh big wages etc etc. Players talk about this stuff, proven by Trippier talking to Pope.

6 minutes ago, Pata said:

Is he really worth over twice what we paid for Botman? Chelsea are insane.

That would take them to £230m so far. How close does that take them FFP wise?

Edited by BonesJones

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

I think Leicester will want a lot more as its Chelsea and they know they'll pay it. I think it's clear they would rather sell Maddison but if Chelsea offer 80M for Fofana I'm sure they would accept. It's a bit reckless from Chelsea though to pay that for a player who hasn't played much last 12 months due to an injury

2 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I can't help but feel that Leicester are going to really struggle this season, especially if anything happens to Vardy, who as an aging pace based player could see his abilities fall off a cliff any time now.

They look a bit like Southampton did when all of their quality players were grabbed by 'big' clubs - didn't help them one bit.

If I were Maddison I'd be really wary of planning on staying. Clearly not his call to accept the bid, but if Rogers sees that his heart isn't in Leicester...

Um ... they still have Kelechi and Daka upfront. 

None of their players have been grabbed by anyone so far either.

18 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

I think it's still on, tbh. And I reckon he's up for coming. 

Just a personal feeling, there's no ITK. 

I reckon we've long moved on, and it's dead in the water.

24 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I agree, for the internet types it’s another day with no activity but they won’t be doing anything to disrupt things before the match tomorrow. I’d say there’ll be another bid by Monday.

Can I ask, what makes you think a) where we are gonna produce more money? Especially after the comments from Howe today And b) why Leicester are gonna accept a fee way less than the £60m they want?

This one is dead. 

This whole mini saga seems odd and while I feel we overall have a waaaaaaay more professional and serious outfit now, it does make me question a little the wisdom of our actions.

Based on what we know we've bid at least 10 million (closer to 20 million is possible) less than whatever they would have taken.  Added to this it seems questionable if Leicester would have sold at all at this stage anyway, given that there is a potential bumper transfer fee from Chelsea incoming for a player in a position that statistically is far cheaper to replace, totally negating any financial need to sell and in fact making any decision to sell highly provocative to their supporters.  It just feels a bit like a waste of time and effort.

I hope I'm wrong and in retrospect this message looks highly stupid.

1 minute ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

This whole mini saga seems odd and while I feel we overall have a waaaaaaay more professional and serious outfit now, it does make me question a little the wisdom of our actions.

Based on what we know we've bid at least 10 million (closer to 20 million is possible) less than whatever they would have taken.  Added to this it seems questionable if Leicester would have sold at all at this stage anyway, given that there is a potential bumper transfer fee from Chelsea incoming for a player in a position that statistically is far cheaper to replace, totally negating any financial need to sell and in fact making any decision to sell highly provocative to their supporters.  It just feels a bit like a waste of time and effort.

It was mentioned in the press earlier today that we had been encouraged by his agent that we could get him for £42m. Hence why we were interested I guess.

9 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Your whole post assumes that football transfers are like house listings with posted prices. 

It sounds like we had reason to believe he might be available at an attractive price. Exactly what happened who knows.

But I’m fairly sure Ashworth didn’t ring up Leicester, get told the price is 60m and not a penny less, and then swivel in his chair to fax through an offer of 40m. This isn’t the Ashley/Charnley show anymore. 

I think £60m is over-priced, but not by much. Looking at current prices, £50m looks like the mark. 

So it boils down to how much we want him, and what our budget is. Maddison doesn't seem to be linked with other clubs, which suggests that there's already some understanding with the player and his agent, similar to Botman. 

Leicester seem to be in a state of disarray. They don't seem to be making many decisions, so I wonder if there's some conflict / confusion behind the scenes. 

We don't want to waste too much time on this. I'd offer £50m plus Dubs, take it or leave it.

14 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Feels like this is inevitable now 

If so and you're Leicester, why wouldn't you just reject this bid and wait for the next one in that case.

Boehly means business 😂 Yeah, best let it be known who your number 1 target is and you'll pay more than you've offered then.

Leicester; We don't want to sell either Fofana or Maddison. No way, not at all. But if we absolutely had to, it would take a ridiculous bid and we'd only sell one. And here is how much, even though they're definitely not for sale.

So, quick Chelsea quick, bid something stupid for Fofana since we're leaking that Newcastle might buy Maddison instead! Now now now!

And quick Newcastle, act fast! Pay over the odds for Maddison right away in case Chelsea buy Fofana! Aye, right.

15 hours ago, Pata said:

They've got a £1.5bn freefall of Russian money to play with, that gives you quite a lot of leeway.