James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Howe is tactically flexible, I don't think he'll ever be wedded to any particular system. We see that with how different we set up with Maxi in the side or not. Same with Trippier in or out of the side. There would definitely be a role (or roles) for Maddison. Putting him in the side wouldn't automatically drop our ability to press effectively as a team. Longstaff is great pressing without the ball but isn't particularly resistant to being pressed himself so there's an obvious trade-off there.

Man City pin teams in and force high turnovers despite not having a particularly industrious midfield and attack on paper.

Great interview I just heard on the radio, probably one of the most intelligent and articulate players I’ve heard. No doubt he would get on superbly with Wor Eddie. 

Don’t know quite how he fits the system on the pitch but he would definitely fit the culture. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

13 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Great interview I just heard on the radio, probably one of the most intelligent and articulate players I’ve heard. No doubt he would get on superbly with Wor Eddie. 

Don’t know quite how he fits the system on the pitch but he would definitely fit the culture. 

He’s definitely changed my opinion of him with the way he comes across of late. Seems to of matured which I guess is natural at his age.

Still think he’d create as many footballing problems as he solves if we signed him though. Bit like when we signed Viana and I dare say Tino. 

40 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Would today’s football not be too quick for him? 

Nah, I don’t think so. Technical ability, vision, and being able to pick a pass at most distances would see him just fine. Individual pace isn’t everything (but would obviously need some in the team to benefit from his passes). Pirlo wasn’t a sprinter. You just have to use those players to their abilities. 

16 hours ago, Manxst said:

Nah, I don’t think so. Technical ability, vision, and being able to pick a pass at most distances would see him just fine. Individual pace isn’t everything (but would obviously need some in the team to benefit from his passes). Pirlo wasn’t a sprinter. You just have to use those players to their abilities. 

I don’t recall him being as good as you’re making him out to be,but my memory isn’t as good as it used to be 👍

15 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Was he any good in Spain though?

Barely played for Valencia, farmed out on loan a couple times. Only seemed to do okay in Portugal.

He signed for us in June 2002 as a 19 year old.He signed for a club in Dubai as a 30 year old in June 2013.

Finished or a final payday at 30?

Remember when we bought Hugo Viana the same time that Christiano Ronaldo went to Manchester United, and Viana was rated the better prospect :lol:

Edit : Ok 1 year's difference, I still felt at the time though!

Edit2 : Quote from the time from the Shephard himself :

"We have signed Hugo for US dollars 12million and we're delighted to have got him," Shepherd said. "The general consensus of opinion is that he's the best young player in the world at the moment.

"He's a left-sided midfielder, just the player Bobby Robson wants to spearhead our Champions League bid for next season.

"But to tell you the truth, we had a few scary moments. Sporting Lisbon had already agreed a fee with Celta Vigo and then Liverpool actually moved in yesterday.

"However, Douglas and and myself were determined to get our man and we kept the Sporting people up through the night."

Edited by HawK

Aye, there was loads of hype round Viana at the time. Mind, think that quote sums up the issues he had over here. He wasn't a typical left sided midfielder, certainly not in the way we were playing back then. He needed to be playing centrally, but without too much defensive responsibility, at least at first. 

Viana wasnt just not suited to the English game, he just wasnt good enough. Shite here, shite in Spain for both Valencia and Osasuna in a league where players like that are ten a penny. Fine playing for Braga in the Portugese league for a few seasons before fucking off to the UAE at 30. He wasnt good enough in 2003, so he absolutely wouldnt be good enough in 2022, when the league has far more competent players than then. 

His lasting contribution to NUFC is the most pathetic, bottling attempt at a header i've ever seen, leaving Drogba 1 on 1 with Aaron Hughes in a UEFA Cup Semi Final. A real sliding doors moment too.  

Edited by Doctor Zaius

3 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Why has this morphed into a Hugo Viana thread,  mods get banning .... outrageous and egregious behaviour 

I agree, outrageous and egregious  :pimp: (wanted a top hat emoji but this'll have to do)

57 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

He’d won the Young European Footballer Of The Year award after his one and only season with Sporting Lisbon.We signed him after that season therefore you could say he was a better prospect than Spotty Ronaldo.

Ian Bogie to Ronaldo's Gascoigne

45 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Viana wasnt just not suited to the English game, he just wasnt good enough. Shite here, shite in Spain for both Valencia and Osasuna in a league where players like that are ten a penny. Fine playing for Braga in the Portugese league for a few seasons before fucking off to the UAE at 30. He wasnt good enough in 2003, so he absolutely wouldnt be good enough in 2022, when the league has far more competent players than then. 

His lasting contribution to NUFC is the most pathetic, bottling attempt at a header i've ever seen, leaving Drogba 1 on 1 with Aaron Hughes in a UEFA Cup Semi Final. A real sliding doors moment too.  

I can vividly remember the abuse Bobby got at half time at the Velodrome for playing him instead of Bowyer.