James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I think he’ll have his pick of clubs in the summer; for better or worse he seems like the next off the production line to an elite club. He’ll have a choice of different destinations that offer CL football, so unless Arsenal or Manchester City offer big money now, both he and Leicester would be daft to pull that trigger (not least because they’re still close to the bottom and have looked woeful at times this year, especially recently without him). In our advantage here is that we might be a CL club by then, and might have the money to do it. I think we’d have to finish 4th at least to get into a serious conversation. 

The project! What's not to like? [emoji38]

Just now, Armchair Pundit said:

Gordon, Ashby and Maddison this window, that'd be 'some' window! How much would it impact FFP though? Or are they banking on a top 4-6 finish?

What makes anyone think Maddison is coming this window?

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Based on absolutley nothing, I think if he is to come to us it has to be this window. Reckon he will go to London or Manchester if it waits for the summer.

Why?

Footballers are starting to realise that you move to London or Manchester if you can't get to Newcastle.

7 minutes ago, manorpark said:

So we will get him in Summer then.

So yeh that’s what my argument was saying, we have to be an elite club first to attract him first in my view. We’d also only be a newly elite club, our name doesn’t yet have the same goodwill in the average player’s head as longer-term CL teams / clubs that have won and competed recently. We’d probably have to pay a premium to get round that (probably to the player).