James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Why?

Footballers are starting to realise that you move to London or Manchester if you can't get to Newcastle.

My instinctive British negativity. There was patter in the press previously he preferred to wait for the summer and fancied a move to one of those two destinations and those other clubs would be in for him next summer.

It will change if we are in the CL. To be fair it will change if we bid for him again now and get close enough to what Leicester want. It's clear he was open to the move in September so I guess he would only be more into it now with our league position?

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

So yeh that’s what my argument was saying, we have to be an elite club first to attract him first in my view. We’d also only be a newly elite club, our name doesn’t yet have the same goodwill in the average player’s head as longer-term CL teams / clubs that have won and competed recently. We’d probably have to pay a premium to get round that (probably to the player).

Sometimes its having the foresight to anticipate the wave. We are a fucking tsunami in the making. If they cant see that, its their loss. I believe he'll see that. Also I believe without any facts whatsoever that Tripps, Calumn and Popey will have sold this club to him during the world cup. One home game visit with Worflags and our crowd and that too will have made an impact :indi:

Just now, toontownman said:

My instinctive British negativity. There was patter in the press previously he preferred to wait for the summer and fancied a move to one of those two destinations and those other clubs would be in for him next summer.

It will change if we are in the CL. To be fair it will change if we bid for him again now and get close enough to what Leicester want. It's clear he was open to the move in September so I guess he would only be more into it now with our league position?

You not learned anything from those two fellas in your avatar? :coolsmiley: It's time to dream and believe again!

33 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

So yeh that’s what my argument was saying, we have to be an elite club first to attract him first in my view. We’d also only be a newly elite club, our name doesn’t yet have the same goodwill in the average player’s head as longer-term CL teams / clubs that have won and competed recently. We’d probably have to pay a premium to get round that (probably to the player).

You are wrong there.

Most people in the football world are now ALREADY fully aware of what we are.

Understandably, some of us supporters are taking a longer time to fully assimilate this!

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think he would be our best player if we managed to sign him, that’s how highly I rate him.

Eddie will know what he can bring to this team. I'm sure the board are onboard. I hope he chooses us, and I hope it's before Tuesday 11pm :indi:

1 minute ago, BergenMagpie said:

Is Tetê going there on a free? Didnt understand the deal with foreign players in Ukraine

The fact that Mudryk went for 80m plus suggest clubs will still commend a fee should they sell outright?

it’s unfair otherwise 

1 minute ago, Mikky said:

The fact that Mudryk went for 80m plus suggest clubs will still commend a fee should they sell outright?

it’s unfair otherwise 

Think thats different as he is Ukrainian. Shaktar is pissed as theyre kinda fucked now with all their foreign players, but not sure what type of compentation they are getting

On 28/01/2023 at 15:38, SUPERTOON said:

I think he would be our best player if we managed to sign him, that’s how highly I rate him.

Leicester intruder here (impressed by most posters here, not as biased as I thought)..

He's a great player, but be warned, he'll never be fit all season. So long as you accept there'll be 8-10 games a season when he's out, and a couple more games when he's below par, then he'll be a decent buy. I suppose you're in the position now to build up a stronger squad, so can rotate accordingly. I hope you don't sign him this window, he may be the difference for us between survival and relegation.

On 28/01/2023 at 19:47, Whitley mag said:

For a club who had no wriggle room under ffp all of a sudden they’re splashing the cash, does make you wonder.

The fan base are kind of puzzled ourselves. But we've got the Fofana money, plus it seems (?) that certain players like Soyuncu, Perez and Praet are heading out.

3 minutes ago, foxghost said:

Leicester intruder here (impressed by most posters here, not as biased as I thought)..

He's a great player, but be warned, he'll never be fit all season. So long as you accept there'll be 8-10 games a season when he's out, and a couple more games when he's below par, then he'll be a decent buy. I suppose you're in the position now to build up a stronger squad, so can rotate accordingly. I hope you don't sign him this window, he may be the difference for us between survival and relegation.

Always great to have fans of other teams contributing. I find they usually have good insights to their players, more so than the media tripe you get force-fed these days. Hope you stick around :thup:

5 minutes ago, foxghost said:

Anticipating him leaving (to someone, not necessarily Newcastle) in the summer?

7 minutes ago, foxghost said:

You are definitely "Too good to go down" (tm), with or without Maddison IMO. Understandable that it's nervous times for you, but I think you'll be closer to tenth than 18th at the end of the season. 

Just now, SteV said:

Anticipating him leaving (to someone, not necessarily Newcastle) in the summer?

Who knows what is said behind the scenes, but I can't see Madders wanting to stay at a club that is battling relegation (or worse getting relegated). So my guess is that if a top half club makes a bid in the summer, he'll be off, maybe even in this window. But it is just a guess, I don't know what goes on with contract negotiations, agents' advice etc. 

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

You are definitely "Too good to go down" (tm), with or without Maddison IMO. Understandable that it's nervous times for you, but I think you'll be closer to tenth than 18th at the end of the season. 

Yeah I think Leicester are far too good to go down. 

Just now, foxghost said:

Who knows what is said behind the scenes, but I can't see Madders wanting to stay at a club that is battling relegation (or worse getting relegated). So my guess is that if a top half club makes a bid in the summer, he'll be off, maybe even in this window. But it is just a guess, I don't know what goes on with contract negotiations, agents' advice etc. 

Yeah, feels unlikely he’ll sign an extension now, and doubt Leicester are in a financial position to let him get into the last 12 months, even if selling all the players you mentioned earlier.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Thanks for the sentiment, but too many players seem to be a shadow of their former selves (Castagne, NDidi, Vardy) and the fans seem bemused by manager selections (no idea why Iheanacho rarely gets the nod). Reminds me a bit of your Brucie days (sorry to bring back painful memories). 

1 minute ago, foxghost said:

Thanks for the sentiment, but too many players seem to be a shadow of their former selves (Castagne, NDidi, Vardy) and the fans seem bemused by manager selections (no idea why Iheanacho rarely gets the nod). Reminds me a bit of your Brucie days (sorry to bring back painful memories). 

Instant ban ;) 

I think Leicester are better than the teams down there but not too good to go down, if that makes sense.

Perhaps more geared to being above a relegation battle than the likes of Everton and Wolves where style wont be an issue, could be a factor.

Edited by Jonas