James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

5 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

I am sure he is an Arsenal fan. Doubt he will go to Spurs. It’s likely his agent trying to play the clubs off each other to get a better deal at Newcastle 

sorry mate but i think that's grasping.  Besides it's reported he supported Man U as a child Maddison in Man U colours

Edited by Gawalls

39 minutes ago, madras said:

That would make me a Newcastle, Spurs, Burnley, Ajax, AC Milan, PSV, St Etienne and Nantes fan who liked Northern Ireland and Argentina.

Yeah my Nan (God bless her) bought me Everton (H), Man U and Leeds (A) strips when I was a kid! Thank fuck it didn’t have any influence on me [emoji38]

As a kid my first club shirt was an Everton one. Primarily because the sponsor "Nec" was then vernacular for 'getting off' and was different to the Man United and Liverpool shirts.  Definitely cant read into that.

9 hours ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

I am sure he is an Arsenal fan. Doubt he will go to Spurs. It’s likely his agent trying to play the clubs off each other to get a better deal at Newcastle 

Lee Clark moved from Newcastle to Sunderland.   It’s meaningless mate

I’ll stick my hand up and say the only football tops I ever had as a kid were NUFC or England.  There was a lad who had a pair of Spurs socks who we took the mickey out of.

Mind you, when I went to high school there was loads of lads from other slightly more affluent areas (in Newcastle west end terms anyway) who seemed to support every team and have every strip going.  Lost on me tbh

I had this because it was simply too fucking nice to not have

Screenshot_20230610_001526_eBay.thumb.jpg.b9c56e6bbddb1f2b367b5c8a8817be6b.jpg

But I also had these that I got on Shields road and for a while I thought I was a 'Holston' fan

Tonka-Sportstars-Gary-Mabbutt-Tottenham-Hotspur-TONKA063.webp.e699042baf286a585eb01eec13f2a070.webp

89Tonka-Sportstars-Lineker-Tottenham-Tottenham3.jpg.304a6321f97bffe9cf6fba5f9a6a4e94.jpg

Edited by Kid Icarus

Having another English team's shirt from the upper tiers is completely unacceptable like if you're from the area. I never saw that as a kid apart from kids who actually supported other teams for whatever reason, usually parents (believe our school had one mackem, one Man City, two Liverpool - one legit and one glory). Other leagues is fine.

My nana did buy me the whole Tottenham team set of those figures with big heads. But that was cos she thought they were England. But I support Scotland anyway so I told her where she could shove them (not in those words but I did get them sent back...).

Edited by Superior Acuña

15 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Having another English team's shirt from the upper tiers is completely unacceptable like if you're from the area. I never saw that as a kid apart from kids who actually supported other teams for whatever reason, usually parents (believe our school had one mackem, one Man City, two Liverpool - one legit and one glory). Other leagues is fine.

My nana did buy me the whole Tottenham team set of those figures with big heads. But that was cos she thought they were England. But I support Scotland anyway so I told her where she could shove them (not in those words but I did get them sent back...).

As they say in Mexico...Aye Yi Yi.......I'm in a totally different county so having an Arsenal, Spurs, City, Man U, Stoke along with a bunch of international shirts should be ok. I got all these PL shirts for laughs when on video conferences with the UK management team. Yes, I have 4 Newcastle shirts which get to  them.

It's honestly a case of what you're exposed to when you're dead young. I remember my first game on TV being Man Utd v Spurs at WHL on BBC. I asked my dad how to get a Man Utd shirt - can't have been older than five. 

Fast forward six months and I saw his Newcastle sweatshirt in the tumble dryer and asked what it was. Next birthday I had a toon top with Ferdinand, and the rest is history.

I have many football shirts, but I have never worn one that is another English league team … I am shocked by the confessions on here…, but then, as a marginal who grew up in two different countries (California and Newcastle… yes countries) I would be all militant about this (it’s always the marginals). 

17 minutes ago, CaliMag said:

I have many football shirts, but I have never worn one that is another English league team … I am shocked by the confessions on here…, but then, as a marginal who grew up in two different countries (California and Newcastle… yes countries) I would be all militant about this (it’s always the marginals). 

There was a time in the early to mid 80s when Fenwick and Dixon sports started getting loads of "exotic" tops in, hence St Etienne, Nantes and PSV (Monaco was another one but I didn't have that). A 1983 lads kick about was quite the cosmopolitan affair.