James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Going from Botman and Carlos to Dan Burn and failing to sign Ekitike, yes.

My goodness ...

You know Reims accepted our bid for Ekitike in January right.

And Dan burn was instrumental in keeping us up, which allowed us to ultimately end up getting Botman this summer anyway.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s widely reported the deal took so long to agree because of how we were proposing to structure it.

It's also widely reported terms were agreed and his agent sent the deal down by wanting more 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

"Making a hash" of things is incredibly harsh like, and to be honest not even true, we tried to add quality, they didn't pay off so moved onto other targets. 

Them targets then massively improved is and where one of the main reasons we stayed up.

It’s the same summary that most journalists gave towards the end of the window as we were scrambling around late trying to finalise our lower targets.

Even Staveley admitted it didn’t go to plan.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

My goodness ...

You know Reims accepted our bid for Ekitike in January right.

And Dan burn was instrumental in keeping us up, which allowed us to ultimately end up getting Botman this summer anyway.

Yes, but because it took us so long to agree to the terms as we were haggling over the structure for weeks, Ekitike didn’t want to make a decision on deadline day and it lost us the deal.

:lol: This isn’t tough to understand.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Not in January, which is what we’re talking about.

Yet we offered about the same. Should we do what Shepherd and Hall done with Luque and just ask clubs how much they want, they double what they actually want and we pay it ?

How much Newcastle tax are you happy paying ?

49 minutes ago, KaKa said:

When the club talks about right characters, it's more to do with off the field issues and then their professionalism and commitment to working on their game I imagine. Don't think Maddison has those kind of concerns.

Now having said that, I fully understand why some folks aren't thrilled about him joining, because he's a bit of a prat and not the most likeable guy, which is very different from all the guys we have at the minute.

I don't think he has the right character off it either. Very much Grealish lite. 

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Yes, but because it took us so long to agree to the terms as we were haggling over the structure for weeks, Ekitike didn’t want to make a decision on deadline day and it lost us the deal.

If he was 100% up for it he would have come, but I'll give you that one.

I don't think based on that you could say that we made a hash of things in January at all, considering where we were going in and where we ended the season.

I think you're getting carried away because you think we should just pay whatever any club asks for a player we want, but you'll have to get over it, because we aren't going to be operating that way whether you like it or not. 

fwiw, it sounds like Maddison is on around 100 to 110k, so potentially no hit to our salary structure just yet. Presumably Paqueta would want much more. Management wise, the dream value for money approach is to get to top six/seven without paying any player more than the 130k or so Bruno gets. That strikes me as just about achievable. Once it becomes a case of competing for Top 4, the money bazooka has to come out because we'll need Son, Kane, Saka, Foden level performers. Not buying a massive salary just yet buys the commercial folks time to set up sponsor deals and for us to climb the table without being weigned down by the Ashley/Bruce bugger all points start to last year.

40M is a decent first bid if Leicester want nearly 60M. Meet in the middle and get it done.

14 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Going from Botman and Carlos to Dan Burn and failing to sign Ekitike, yes.

Didn’t we agree a fee for Ekitike but he didn’t want to move in Jan?

1 minute ago, elbee909 said:

It's always striking how some with relatively bugger all are such experts at how much wealthier people should spend money.

I really appreciate that we are playing hard ball when it comes to the signings we make.

It's been good enough to land us two top tier young talents in Bruno and Botman, and so we will get there eventually with others too, and we won't be taken for mugs.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If he was 100% up for it he would have come, but I'll give you that one.

I don't think based on that you could say that we made a hash of things in January at all, considering where we were going in and where we ended the season.

I think you're getting carried away because you think we should just pay whatever any club asks for a player we want, but you'll have to get over it, because we aren't going to be operating that way whether you like it or not. 

Going into it targeting Ekitike, Botman and Carlos and coming out of it with Wood, Targett and Burn was a bit of a hash of it. As I said, also reported the same way by most journalists and Staveley herself.

You think wrong. Never once suggested we do that. 

Good player that would obviously improve us, but he's a little rat cunt and I don't want him here. Would rather we focus on developing Elliot Anderson who is a very similar player to him imo.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Didn’t we agree a fee for Ekitike but he didn’t want to move in Jan?

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Yet we offered about the same. Should we do what Shepherd and Hall done with Luque and just ask clubs how much they want, they double what they actually want and we pay it ?

How much Newcastle tax are you happy paying ?

I’ve told you this twice now and you’re not understanding it, so I’ll just assume you’re a bit dim and never will.

The total sum of the transfer is different to the structure of the deal, which is the problem. Bidding £1m with £34m in instalments over 15 years would be underbidding. 

Before you get too excited, that’s a hyperbole example to try and help you understand and I’m not suggesting that’s exactly what we did.

3 minutes ago, Stottie said:

fwiw, it sounds like Maddison is on around 100 to 110k, so potentially no hit to our salary structure just yet. Presumably Paqueta would want much more. Management wise, the dream value for money approach is to get to top six/seven without paying any player more than the 130k or so Bruno gets. That strikes me as just about achievable. Once it becomes a case of competing for Top 4, the money bazooka has to come out because we'll need Son, Kane, Saka, Foden level performers. Not buying a massive salary just yet buys the commercial folks time to set up sponsor deals and for us to climb the table without being weigned down by the Ashley/Bruce bugger all points start to last year.

40M is a decent first bid if Leicester want nearly 60M. Meet in the middle and get it done.

It's funny that you mentioned Son, Kane, Saka and Foden like talents because none of those players were signed via money bazooka.

I imagine we'll end up with top talents in much the same way those 4 came to be just that. Decent young players coming through and a clever signings that were brought along well by the manager.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Going into it targeting Ekitike, Botman and Carlos and coming out of it with Wood, Targett and Burn was a bit of a hash of it. As I said, also reported the same way by most journalists and Staveley herself.

You think wrong. Never once suggested we do that. 

We were bottom of the league, and so not being able to sign those players in that predicament, and having to get in viable backups that still managed to get us safe is not a hash up. Not to mention they still also managed to get one of the best midfielders from Ligue 1 in at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Good player that would obviously improve us, but he's a little rat cunt and I don't want him here. Would rather we focus on developing Elliot Anderson who is a very similar player to him imo.

I wouldn’t. I’d rather sign top class players are allow the likes of Anderson to develop at their own pace. There’s no way Anderson is ready to make an impact on this league yet; Maddison would transform us.

I very much doubt we’d be his best option even if we bid £60m for him though.