James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Is it that people have forgotten this is how things work because we pretty much stopped buying players under Mike Ashley? :lol:

'Hi Leicester, we reckon we could do a deal for James Maddison.  What's your thoughts?'

'Hmmm, important player, we'd be looking for north of £60m but we could structure things if it would help.'

'WE BID FIVE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS'

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I just don't see why Leicester would let him go unless it's absolutely daft money. If it's going to take more than £50m, then would we go there?

Yeah, they’d have to have a great replacement in mind. In that case I’d rather hack their emails and find out who that would be.

8 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Easier for you to admit defeat here

:lol: Suppose it had to happen at some point. Joey just trying to crack one of his jokes and now fighting not to be lumped in with the prontonises and airplanes leaving the atmosphere of the world.

You had a good run, chap. 

Just now, POOT 2.0 said:

Negotiations are one thing...but you don't go in with a starting bid of half the asking price. And they're not. This is made-up, unsubstantiated crap from know-nowt journos. No way we're opening bidding at 50%.

How else would you start negotiations? We know they're not going to accept it, but what would be interesting is to see if Leicester put a price on him. I doubt they will tbh, they'll probably just reject the bid outright and leave it to us to keep coming back with higher offers.

5 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: Suppose it had to happen at some point. Joey just trying to crack one of his jokes and now fighting not to be lumped in with the prontonises and airplanes leaving the atmosphere of the world.

You had a good run, chap. 

Worried I'm going to get the Stifler Stuarts treatment

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Negotiations are one thing...but you don't go in with a starting bid of half the asking price. And they're not. This is made-up, unsubstantiated crap from know-nowt journos. No way we're opening bidding at 50%.

How do you know it's 50% of their asking price?

We desperately need more goals in the team. Maddison scored twelve and assisted eight in 35 games last season. This lad is exactly what we need and would lessen the impact of not getting a top class right winger.

It wouldn't suprise me if Maddison wants to leave Leicester. It's a world cup year and he isn't a guaranteed starter. £40 million is most likely an opening bid to see if he's interested and if Leicester are a willing seller. They allegedly do need to sell to buy, but who knows if that'd means Maddison is for sale. If there's encouragement we'll surely be back with a second bid.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

We desperately need more goals in the team. Maddison scored twelve and assisted eight in 35 games last season. This lad is exactly what we need and would lessen the impact of not getting a top class right winger.

It wouldn't suprise me if Maddison wants to leave Leicester. It's a world cup year and he isn't a guaranteed starter. £40 million is most likely an opening bid to see if he's interested and if Leicester are a willing seller. They allegedly do need to sell to buy, but who knows if that'd means Maddison is for sale. If there's encouragement we'll surely be back with a second bid.

It is going to take something north of £50m to shift him, and it could be closer to £60m. We could probably get Paqueta for less, but I guess maybe he really doesn't want to come. It's a lot of money for Maddison, but you are getting one of the best attacking midfielders in the Premier so can see the attraction from our POV.

Just now, POOT 2.0 said:

I don't...that's the point. A rumoured £35m bid but Leicester want £70m. That's 50%. But my point is...it is unsubstantiated crap from jounos and also that the club wouldn't bid £35m for a player that the selling club values at £70m. Negotiations have to start somewhere, correct. But you'd never bid half the asking price in any deal. Because you'd not be taken seriously. 

My point is that the numbers being banded around don 't make sense. Especially considering the real professionals we now have at our club. 

Haven't seen £70 million mentioned anywhere regarding what they want for him.

Would be a statement signing for sure. If we’re picking the best players of teams that are better than us it sends a clear message. Don’t remember much from Leicester last season - did he ever play in a midfield three? Did he maybe play in a bit of a withdrawn RW role? 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The truth is that we have no idea what it'll take to shift him other than that it's north of the £40 million we've bid. We must have had some form of encouragement to bid in the first place.

When we were linked a week or two ago we were guessing £50-60M. The thinking was that they needed to sell somebody and Tielemans was the most likely but he only had one year left and so would probably go for £30M or so. Given that Tielemans is still there Maddison seems very available. Fofana going for a large fee could scupper the deal I guess.

At the time, there was talk of Spurs being in for one of Maddison, Paqueta or Zaniolo. A lively debate, but a fair few were preferring Maddison if only for the HG stuff.

I don't know about this one tbh. I just can't see Leicester being prepared to sell him unless it's for stupid cash. For that sort of money I would prefer to go for someone where there is a realistic chance a deal will get done.

2 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I’ve told you this twice now and you’re not understanding it, so I’ll just assume you’re a bit dim and never will.

The total sum of the transfer is different to the structure of the deal, which is the problem. Bidding £1m with £34m in instalments over 15 years would be underbidding. 

Before you get too excited, that’s a hyperbole example to try and help you understand and I’m not suggesting that’s exactly what we did.

Hmmmm. It seems strange that in most of those deals, Botman, Carlos in January, Harrison and Maddison since, it was the bottom line that was the issue, as much if not more so than the structure......unless of course you think Leiceater would let Maddison go for 35mill if it was all up front.

Edited by madras

He would be a game changing signing. Very classy player, and scores goals. Also a bit of a prick, which we need in our side in my opinion.

There wouldn't be many midfield trios in the PL better than...

Maddison

Joelinton       Bruno

29 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Haven't seen £70 million mentioned anywhere regarding what they want for him.

We got £85m for Maguire, we’ve had interest from Man U, Spurs, Arsenal and the numbers banded about were in excess of £70m.

It will honestly take something north of £60m to even get us thinking about it. He’s just too valuable to how we play.