Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Holding midfielder isn't he? 

Would sit in front of the back four and push Bruno further up the pitch, which I am more in favour of more recently.

Think Bruno needs more freedom and not to have to worry about holding his position in that deeper position.

1 hour ago, Mansour said:

Very reliable source. Most likely it was from Arsenal, can see Liverpool as well. Doubt it was from us because Ajax will not let him go this late that easy, and if we were to spend big, it would most likely be on an attacking player.

Worthy of a thread.

This is the most legit source for the Alvarez link.

Says the initial 30 million euros offer was verbal and that discussions are continuing.

No mention of them not wanting to sell before the world cup and no mention of them wanting 50 million euros (like the other tweets claimed).

This one may well have something to it.

Edited by KaKa

37 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This is the most legit source for the Alvarez link.

Says the initial 30 million euros offer was verbal and that discussions are continuing.

No mention of them not wanting to sell before the world cup and no mention of them wanting 50 million euros (like the other tweets claimed).

This one may well have something to it.

Not familiar with this particular source, but I know that Mike Verweij is very reliable when it comes to Dutch football, particularly Ajax. David Ornstein and Alfredo Martinez's calibre.

Having seen the attention that Bruno received against Brighton, I do think that for his sake it's imperative we sign another central midfielder that makes it impossible for other teams to double up on players without freeing up another that can cause problems.

Edited by Lenny

6 minutes ago, kenlau88210 said:

Possibly Bruno replacement?

Probably more of a Shelvey replacement in terms of playing as a deep midfielder. Won't have the attacking threat but could help unshackle bruno and joe from defensive duties, letting them be nuisances much further up.

4 minutes ago, thomas said:

Probably more of a Shelvey replacement in terms of playing as a deep midfielder. Won't have the attacking threat but could help unshackle bruno and joe from defensive duties, letting them be nuisances much further up.

Yeah, he'd be more of a defensive midfielder that sits in that deep role giving Bruno more license to roam and look to open things up and be a goal threat like he was at times last season, which he tended to do a bit more when Shelvey was sitting in that deeper role.

After seeing the joy Brighton had against us, I also think against teams that use the ball better we'd be better served having a legit DM that is more defensive minded in there.

Alvarez looks like what you want for that role if you go for it. Big long stride to cover across the back 4, very strong in the challenge. But also able to take the ball in a tight area step past a challenge and move it forward. 

1 hour ago, kenlau88210 said:

Possibly Bruno replacement?

It'll be bollocks but with having Joelinton & Bruno we could sign either a defensive or attacking CM to play alongside them. Someone like Maddison/Paqueta would have allowed Bruno to continue to play deeper. Signing a DM allows him more freedom to go forward.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, he'd be more of a defensive midfielder that sits in that deep role giving Bruno more license to roam and look to open things up and be a goal threat like he was at times last season, which he tended to do a bit more when Shelvey was sitting in that deeper role.

After seeing the joy Brighton had against us, I also think against teams that use the ball better we'd be better served having a legit DM that is more defensive minded in there.

He's a top DM with incredible passing, and can chip in with a fair few goals, but to make him our goal threat is wasting him. We need a Maddison/Cannibaga to be the goal threat.

Alvarez, up until recently, has been pretty average, honestly. Up until last year, the guy was your basic cdm grafter; great defensively but couldn’t pick out a pass with any real precision. Not sure why but he’s been sooo much better with his passing recently and looks like a really good midfielder now.

If you’re looking for someone energetic to break up play and lay it off, he’s very decent; just don’t expect any visionary chance-creating passes from him. In saying that, 50m seems an outrageous fee for the guy.

17 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

He's a top DM with incredible passing, and can chip in with a fair few goals, but to make him our goal threat is wasting him. We need a Maddison/Cannibaga to be the goal threat.

He wouldn't be our goal threat. He'd mostly be our door opener with his playmaking higher up the pitch, while chipping in the odd goal.

If we are bringing in a DM to push up and free Bruno up more, I'm thinking we have a goal scoring right winger lined up on loan now. Probably Pulisic.

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Alvarez, up until recently, has been pretty average, honestly. Up until last year, the guy was your basic cdm grafter; great defensively but couldn’t pick out a pass with any real precision. Not sure why but he’s been sooo much better with his passing recently and looks like a really good midfielder now.

If you’re looking for someone energetic to break up play and lay it off, he’s very decent; just don’t expect any visionary chance-creating passes from him. In saying that, 50m seems an outrageous fee for the guy.

We have Bruno for that.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

He wouldn't be our goal threat. He'd mostly be our door opener with his playmaking higher up the pitch, while chipping in the odd goal.

If we are bringing in a DM to push up and free Bruno up more, I'm thinking we have a goal scoring right winger lined up on loan now. Probably Pulisic.

Yeah. I guess, finances might dictate this, but I'd rather have a Pulisic and a Maddison, keeping Bruno as the DM.