Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

One thing I love about Arsenal. Partey and Zinchenko. Constantly getting on the ball and zipping it between the lines. Then have Odegaard and Xhaka who can play excellent balls from a more advanced position, we lack those players entirely. And then they have the wide players with quality 1v1 or can continue the attack through passing. We have those players but not the level of quality, we need one more.

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

positions aside, I'd take Gordon over McTominay. Ironically, I see McTominay as an Everton type player.

Fairly sure Gordon has a significantly higher ceiling and a lot of desire to progress. Still don’t like sewer rat though 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I won’t, I’ll get behind both 100%, however I think it’s fair for people to not rate either based on how much we have seen them play. Btw I don’t think Gordon is a terrible player, i just feel we could do a lot better for the price mentioned.

Fair enough. They wouldn't have been top of my list either!

If the manager sees something in them though, and we somehow land either, lets back his judgement.

In my opinion though, I doubt we actually get either of them, because neither club will ever sell for a reasonable fee, and I can't see us overpaying for them.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Based on what?

Good question, I think based on his performances last season. It takes a lot of mental strength to come into a team that’s failing and be a big part of why they stayed up. Personally think that reflects very well on him but his performances this season and going in for needless tackles suggests he’s trying too hard to make an impact 

In the Times match report today, the reporter picks out that Howe referred to incoming transfers in the singular - "Were keen to bring a player in that can help us...there's no guarantee..."

Admittedly that might be a reach from the writer, and Howe is always cagey with this type of thing. He also said he had "no issue" with the size or strength of his current squad - though that slightly contradicts how he came across on selling Wood.

So what would I guess? Maybe one first team forward / attacking mid like e.g. Maddison, maybe a couple of youth prospects.

And possibly an opportunistic buy if someone becomes available late on, with more serious rebuilding in summer, depending on where we land up. Clearly, we all want everything tomorrow, but January is always a weird one.

Just keep in mind - 

Whenever a rumour comes out, think to yourself - 'Why did this source have this information?' Assuming it isn't just made up completely, the journalist had to get it from the selling team, the buying team, or the player. Sometimes there are logical reasons why one or more of these parties would give up information to be publicised, but more often than not in our case, there aren't any reasons to do so. 

That's why we're often dragged into other transfers, we're perceived as a rich club and we've always got money to spend, a very convenient rival for an agent or a selling team to throw out there. That makes sense as a motivator to get other teams to negotiate.

Our targets tend to be players that the selling team doesn't want to sell, and we don't want people to know about our targets. So there's little incentive for anyone to reveal anything about our possible deals until they're almost done.

Whatever happens, the journalists will probably know at the same time we do.

Might come across a bit harsh, but I feel like the regional journalists who cover Newcastle are largely poor when it comes to any sort of transfer news. They don’t really tend to have first sight on any developing or breaking story.

In contrast, you’ve obviously got Ornstein who is very good at breaking news on transfers involving Arsenal / other London-based teams. John Percy covering the Midlands, Matt Law on Chelsea, Phil Hay for Leeds, James Pearce at Liverpool etc.

Don’t really think our lot offer much insight, or have any sources at the club to offer insight into recruitment.

Which is probably a good thing for the club really, not so great for fans who would like updates on activity.