Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

16 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I’d say it’s even more than disappointing. Outright very bad. But I’m sure there will be people convincing themselves otherwise. Also, no, I’m not screaming for all the toys..

Hopefully we can get 1-2 quality players in.

Have we really been let down in any window yet? 

No, we don’t need a large scale one. We need to strengthen our team/squad though. It’s naive to think we are very likely to get CL without strengthening. Bruno/Botman injured for a longer time and I’m sure we are fucked already. We will still do reasonably well but would be much harder to keep the momentum up. Psychologically too.

8 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

If they sell those three it won't even come close to covering what they've spent recently, unless they've got some massively creative accounting or are ready to take the 'slap on the wrist' punishment for FFP. Which if i recall is a miniscule fine and a reduction in players available for European games (which they wont have anyway), and which will be overturned on appeal.

David Ornstein explained it better than I ever would be able to on 5 Live on Friday night but selling any home grown player has a massive positive impact on FFP.

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I think we would genuinely ask for trouble if we don’t get another quality CM in too. We have one that is very good on the ball, one.. 

A couple of quality players wouldn’t just improve the first 11 and the squad, it would also lift the belief and energy in the current ones. Mentality wise the current players could use an energy boost with a couple of players coming in to keep the momentum up. 

While I agree, I can see the argument around not going for a CM if the right profile/deal isn’t there. We do have Shelvey coming back who Howe clearly rates. We also have the option of moving players who are currently playing wide into the middle. It’s maybe one we feel we can get in summer rather than in Jan. Maybe the system needs more a aggressive threat from wide areas to remove pressure on the middle? Perhaps that’s why we’re going for Gordon.

Just now, Rocker said:

Have we really been let down in any window yet? 

No have I said so? I’m speaking hypothetically if we were to sign none. Hopefully we will get something in, I hope and believe we will. 

Just now, Ikon said:

No have I said so? I’m speaking hypothetically if we were to sign none. Hopefully we will get something in, I hope and believe we will. 

I was just being rhetorical. 

Nice one :thup:

We'll be spending to try and get back to where we currently are in the summer I feel. Like 04 to 03. 

Accepting we can't get prime targets now but we can't be that inflexible that we do nothing here.

My biggest fear all season is that the small squad can't keep this level up and some better quality tinkering alone would be a big difference. Some good loans could make a big difference but I'd be inclined to pay a premium now on what we plan to pay in the summer with the investment currently more likely to pay off.

10 minutes ago, KDT said:

David Ornstein explained it better than I ever would be able to on 5 Live on Friday night but selling any home grown player has a massive positive impact on FFP.

It's pure profit FFP wise isn't it?

So selling Gallagher for £40m covers a season of FFP costs for Mudryk and 3 others.

With their production line, they could do that 2x a season for the next 3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

So selling Gallagher for £40m covers a season of FFP costs for Mudryk and 3 others.

With their production line, they could do that 2x a season for the next 3 seasons.

Yep something along those lines.

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Only works if someone actually buys him...

8 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Hypotehtical scenario - but would you go for 2nd/3rd choice who's avaialble now or 1st choice who is available in Summer?

I wonder if that's dilemma the club are facing now

Depends who the 2nd/3rd choice is now ? If it’s Gordon I’d rather wait till the summer to go for our number one target.

3 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

How many euros places are there?  It looks like there are 7 in the league but I can't tell if that is assuming the top 7 win the cups or if someone else wins the cups it could be up to 9th.

Off the top of my head - There is CL places for the top four regardless of who wins the CL (ie Chelsea or Liverpool).

If a side outside the European places wins a domestic trophy that would reduce the number of available spots.