Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

46 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yes, I have a high tolerance for joy :lol:

I know what you mean, but I'm still using the hauntings of the Ashley era to keep me happy with what we have. :lol:

I ideally want Wood replaced with a real goal threat and Longstaff and/or Murphy pushed further away from being needed at all. One first team signing and one youngester for future and my thirst for progression would be sorted. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He looked good after he came on.  Nowt would make me happier than seeing him find a place in the side - the lad has talent.  Fitness, rather than attitude, is more of a worry to me.  The lad breaks down more than a ‘70s Lada

He played more minutes than anyone else last season.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 12.26.50.png

Just now, duo said:

Very strange transfer window, I didn't think we'd struggle to get players in where we are in the table. Is it clubs not wanting to do business with us?

I don’t think it’s a struggle, we are playing cards close to chest and won’t budge on our valuations. Not going to have the piss ripped. Let’s see how it pans out by the end of the month! 

There are ffp issues i think they've decided to stay sensible rather than splurge to try and secure top 4 and possibly disrupt the squad. The are merits to both approaches and no doubt some fury if we finish 5th assuming no flurry of activity 

4 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

I don’t think it’s a struggle, we are playing cards close to chest and won’t budge on our valuations. Not going to have the piss ripped. Let’s see how it pans out by the end of the month! 

Yeah, Ashworth said as much in the interview before the match recently. We have our valuation of players, and if a deal isn't right for us, we'll walk away and go onto other targets. No doubt, depsite what EH says to the media about FFP, etc, clubs will see us coming and try to hike prices.

Edited by TK-421

If we don't strengthen a couple of key areas this window but then fall away and finish outside the top 4, it'll look like a very silly decision indeed.

Shades of 02/03 where we finished 3rd and in the CL but in the summer decided to just sign Lee Bowyer on a free. It was downhill all the way after that, and it's an experience tells me we need to roll the dice this time but we'll see what happens. I'll not be lighting any torches or sharpening any pitchforks if we keep things as they are.

23 minutes ago, duo said:

Very strange transfer window, I didn't think we'd struggle to get players in where we are in the table. Is it clubs not wanting to do business with us?

They did brief that there would likely be little business (if any) done this window. Think if Wood hadn't gone it may have gone by without any signing, the idea being to save it for the Summer. 

5 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

They did brief that there would likely be little business (if any) done this window. Think if Wood hadn't gone it may have gone by without any signing, the idea being to save it for the Summer. 

Think we wanted a midfielder due to Shelvey injury 

Purely based on my interpretation of what has been said and written about this window, it seems to me that there's a mild disagreement between Howe and Ashworth/PIF about the necessity of signings this window - outside of replacing Wood, that is. 

It's a tricky dilemma because obviously finishing Top 4 would be a gamechanger for the project, but would anything realistic we do this window make a substantial difference in that pursuit? Perhaps from Ashworth's perspective, the answer is no...because outside of an obviously incredible signing, which I've no doubt we would do, it's hard to make the argument in his mind that a single player (or two) will be the difference between 4th and 5th. And until we have the certainty of improved revenues, that signing represents a higher FFP risk for us.

In the summer, everything changes. Different market, different planning, different FFP calculation due to new commercial deals coming on board.

Howe clearly wants some fresh faces. And personally, I would argue that fatigue is starting to set in and we're going to have to be careful about squad fitness. I think signings would be valuable. But it's hard even for me to make the argument that the names mentioned would make a vital difference in our league position come May.

19 minutes ago, Memphis said:

Purely based on my interpretation of what has been said and written about this window, it seems to me that there's a mild disagreement between Howe and Ashworth/PIF about the necessity of signings this window - outside of replacing Wood, that is. 

It's a tricky dilemma because obviously finishing Top 4 would be a gamechanger for the project, but would anything realistic we do this window make a substantial difference in that pursuit? Perhaps from Ashworth's perspective, the answer is no...because outside of an obviously incredible signing, which I've no doubt we would do, it's hard to make the argument in his mind that a single player (or two) will be the difference between 4th and 5th. And until we have the certainty of improved revenues, that signing represents a higher FFP risk for us.

In the summer, everything changes. Different market, different planning, different FFP calculation due to new commercial deals coming on board.

Howe clearly wants some fresh faces. And personally, I would argue that fatigue is starting to set in and we're going to have to be careful about squad fitness. I think signings would be valuable. But it's hard even for me to make the argument that the names mentioned would make a vital difference in our league position come May.

I think Maddison & Gordon bought now would barring anymore injuries.