Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

25 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Edwards is an absolute wanker and if you read his twitter posts during the takeover saga you'll know exactly why. 

He knows fuck all and is desperate to be an ITK now his pal Bruce has been told to fuck off, even though he was telling everyone the takeover isn't happening. (unless your name is Henry Maurice) 

For a long time the takeover wasn't happening until an unexpected change of mind by the Premier League. 

Just now, Theregulars said:

For a long time the takeover wasn't happening until an unexpected change of mind by the Premier League. 

The Saudis paid off Qatar then the takeover happened, the Premier league just rubber stamped it once permission was given

4 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

I don't expect any signings other than Gordon too tbh, which will be a shame but it is what it is.

I was expecting two signings, I still hope we'll get them. But it seems we might stick to the policy of only buying players who will take us forward, no make do and mend signings, so maybe we are chucking big money at Gordon for that reason. One big signing is better than two meh ones sort of thing.

22 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I could literally write that without speaking to anyone at NUFC and there’s a good chance I would be correct. And if I’m not nobody cares anyway. Best job in the world. 

But that's only on the basis of what other people have said and written, right? Like it or not, he does have some contacts somewhere which give him information which has sometimes been accurate and sometimes hasn't; that's all I'm trying to say. He's no different to any modern sports journalist. I can see the issue of him winding up fans, but to be honest having spent a lot of time interacting with some of our fans here and in person, I can sort of understand how you'd end up winding them up. A significant portion of our fanbase is very binary in its outlook, very myopic and worryingly alarmist. 

Edited by Theregulars

For me, the most disappointing thing so far is the young talent that we've missed out on considering that's seemingly always Ashworth's MO. Santos, Ouattara, Danilo etc. have all gone for very reasonable amounts and yet we couldn't agree on a fee with Franca. Perhaps clubs have agreed to ridiculous sell-on fees or whatever but just seems really weird that we're so value-driven but then seemingly won't go and take a punt on at least 1 bright talent for less than what we paid for Wood.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

8 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

The takeover was always going to happen one way or another. Even if it meant making a court decide. 

Edward said they walked away for good and would not be returning. He also said a nice man called Henry Maurice was about to buy the club.

Honestly, he's the absolute worst Newcastle reporter there is and constantly winds up the fans offering nothing but his poor opinion and fake rumours. 

Edited by Scotty66

5 minutes ago, Ben said:

The Saudis paid off Qatar then the takeover happened, the Premier league just rubber stamped it once permission was given

Right - so until that point, the takeover wasn't happening, so what Edwards was writing was accurate contemporaneously. 

1 minute ago, Scotty66 said:

The takeover was always going to happen one way or another. Even if it meant making a court decide. 

Edward said they walked away for good and wouldn't not be returning. He also said a nice man called Henry Maurice was about to buy the club.

Honestly, he's the absolute worst Newcastle reporter there is and constantly winds up the fans offering nothing but his poor opinion and fake rumours. 

I'm not sure I agree - it wasn't going to happen until the piracy issue was sorted with Qatar and the PL agreed to let it through, and there was a significant stretch of time when the Saudis did not want to concede on the piracy issue (as I understand it). 

Again, I am not saying what he writes is always accurate, nor am I saying that he's a particularly good writer or journalist. I also don't love that he was cosy with Bruce (but you can understand why, with it literally being his job to write about the club, that it would have been smart strategy at the time). However, my point is that a lot of people on the forum dismiss and automatically mock everything he says, even where it's objectively accurate or not particularly negative or even provocative. 

For what it's worth, I mainly start believing stuff when it's reported by the Athletic - they don't seem to have the same sensationalist / clickbait drive as English papers. I do, however, think the likes of Edwards and Hope can be a useful barometer for direction of travel. 

I guess what I am trying to say is let's not all just be in an echo chamber, and try to think for ourselves based on the facts as they play out and become available. If we do that, I don't think Edwards is any less accurate or reliable than most others. And, to clarify, I despise the publication he writes for, so don't tend to read anything he writes in detail.

3 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Very disappointed if Gordon is to be our only signing. Going into the window, it seemed that a CM would be a priority, and that doesn’t seem like it will be resolved.

Gordon doesn’t possess the leap in quality that I’d be expecting for the outlay.

It was the priority until Wood left, then it changed imo.

Main issue is our wage to turnover though isn’t it? Until we get new commercial deals like front of shirt in the summer we remain at like 95%, we could probably buy say a Maddison transfer fee wise but we probably couldn’t offer him a great financial package. 

Gordon will be on a lot less wage wise so he’s the sort of transfer we can do with falling foul of the rules. 

2 minutes ago, ToonScotman said:

Think I’d be willing to accept Gordon if only if we sign Franca and maybe Ashby too.

Willing to accept it😃 what you gonna do like? Gan radge ? Withdraw your support from the club?

13 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I suspect we're not adding a midfielder because Shelvey is about to be fit and Howe rates him.

And we probably can't get a midfielder who is leagues above Shelvey and significantly younger. Arsenal are also trying to buy a similar type of midfielder with Elneny being ruled out for a significant part of the season.

Think a CM is still possible but it would be very late in the day. It doesn’t feel like you’re going to be able to get much value in a market where Arsenal and Chelsea are tearing about offering silly money for anyone vaguely competent in that position.

Vitor Roque and Angelo Gabriel are the two Brazillian wonderkids I want. Not fussed about Franca. 

Perrone (Argentinan) Danilo and Andrey Santos would have been good for the centre mid but I don't mind missing out on a few, as long as we get Roque and Gabriel. 

We are more than set across the front line in terms of depth and while the downgrades are significant along the back four we do have players that can fill in. But we are seriously playing with fire in the midfield. One more please.

1 hour ago, Scotty66 said:

Edward said they walked away for good and would not be returning. He also said a nice man called Henry Maurice was about to buy the club.

Have IMTTS and Penn both (:lol:) gone from here?

Edited by Shearergol

Folks are forgetting what the expectation was this time last year. Finishing in the top 8 would be a magnificent season. 
what happened to ‘we just want a team that tries’?

some short memories and daft expectations all of a sudden. 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache