Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

The thing with the ownership and Ashworth is that they'll not see it as "Must get into the Champions League this season at all cost", they have a long term plan and they'll stick to it, if we get into the Champions League, it'll be an added bonus, but if not, its not the end of the world.

If getting the right player that'll fit the mould they want, isn't possible in during is this window, but said player is during the summer, they'll wait.

With the CM options as well, we have managed with just Bruno, Willock, Longstaff, Joelinton and Anderson so far this season, and its not a stretch we'll be able to last until the end with that same pool of players. 

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

The thing with the ownership and Ashworth is that they'll not see it as "Must get into the Champions League this season at all cost", they have a long term plan and they'll stick to it, if we get into the Champions League, it'll be an added bonus, but if not, its not the end of the world.

If getting the right player that'll fit the mould they want, isn't possible in during is this window, but said player is during the summer, they'll wait.

With the CM options as well, we have managed with just Bruno, Willock, Longstaff, Joelinton and Anderson so far this season, and its not a stretch we'll be able to last until the end with that same pool of players. 

It is a stretch 

Hence a lot of 0-0 draws , teams learning how to play against us.

We need more options 

Its inevitable we get a few injuries in that area.

I do agree however we shouldn’t just rush in and get anyone to plug a gap , but there has to be a few options in the (whole wide world) 🤣better than Anderson or longstaff to help us out

Just now, JonBez comesock said:

It is a stretch 

Hence a lot of 0-0 draws , teams learning how to play against us.

We need more options 

Its inevitable we get a few injuries in that area.

I do agree however we shouldn’t just rush in and get anyone to plug a gap , but there has to be a few options in the (whole wide world) 🤣better than Anderson or longstaff to help us out

At least half the 0-0 draws were down  to poor finishing, we had very good chances as opposed to the opposition learning how to play us.

Jonjo was injured all season so far. He is not a loss and it free up wages for a late push now or who we want in the summer. 

Yes i'd like cover, but it takes time we are improving each window. 

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Jonjo was injured all season so far. He is not a loss and it free up wages for a late push now or who we want in the summer. 

Yes i'd like cover, but it takes time we are improving each window. 

But he isn’t injured now so it is a loss. If Bruno gets injured we have nobody who can pass a ball in midfield.

10 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Tielemans honestly makes sense over Berge - 15-20m, it will do the job. 

Think the issue would be Tielemans would want £120k+ a week, which I'm not sure we'd want to be giving him. He is going to wait till Summer to get that huge signing on wedge from someone. 

Imagine a big story breaks later today (Maddison or whoever) and then tonight we qualify for our first final in 20+ years? Would be quite the day, however unlikely a big signing seems at this point. 

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Wonder if we'll see anyone else head out today? Manquillo, Fraser, Darlow, Dubravka and maybe Lewis (Dependant on the length of Targett's injury i'd imagine).

Darlow is basically confirmed to be joining Hull/Huddersfield (I forget which) today, right? Only other one I could see movement on is Fraser. 

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Wonder if we'll see anyone else head out today? Manquillo, Fraser, Darlow, Dubravka and maybe Lewis (Dependant on the length of Targett's injury i'd imagine).

Dubravka can't join anyone else except Man Utd

6 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Not sure why people keep saying we are a midfielder down. Gordon in will allow Joelinton and Willock to drop into CM. We’re net neutral on that front. 

Shelvey would have gotten minutes when he was back fit though 

The club are clearly completely opposed to the idea of short term signings to plug gaps in the squad. If we can't get a first teamer/youngster that's a long term target they simply won't make a signing. It's obviously a policy that comes from fiscal management in line with FFP, long term squad building but also not wanting players in the squad who may not be fully committed.

I think the merits of this can be justified for sure - but it is definitely a risk leaving us short in midfield considering our set up. The solutions if we have an injury crisis there will likely involve a change of system towards a two man midfield. 

Irrespective of this I am really enjoying the methodical way in which we are going about squad building. Ruthlessly taking offers for deadwood when they are presented, and chasing targets over multiple windows until we get them for a price we're happy with. It won't be too much longer until we can keep doing this without having to risk leaving ourselves short.

It was also really interesting watching the interviews with Gordon and Ashby. I was surprised how well they both came across - surprisingly well spoken for footballers. They also both seemed motivated to come here because they see a clear career path for their development. Becoming seen as that kind of club is a massive change from what we've been for the last 15 years.