Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Bruno getting injured is a disaster no matter who we sign. No matter if we have Shelvey or we don’t. 

Nowhere near as much of a disaster as it is without Shelvey. Last year the midfield thrived to the extent that we were wondering when Bruno was going to get a look in. Without Shelvey we literally have no replacement at all. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Agree, however it’s more of a disaster without an extra player being bought in.

Yeah of course, it’s always better to have more players than less. But I mean, that’s just a truism you can say in any situation. 

It just feels like everything is in great hands. Giving out scores like 5/10 seems a bit silly to me. 

Makes for good debate though. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nowhere near as much of a disaster as it is without Shelvey. Last year the midfield thrived to the extent that we were wondering when Bruno was going to get a look in. Without Shelvey we literally have no replacement at all. 

:lol:  Shelvey offers us nothing the way we play now

I think the business done is great. 7.5/10

Gordon can play across the front three and ashby can provide cover for tripps as well as manquillo.

Jonjo would only have been a late sub at best.

If we get a cm or maddisson it would be a 10/10 window

We've probably brought Gordon forward from the summer imo. Like others have touched on, we're incredibly thin - especially at CM - but we also have the benefit of no European football and no cup football (hopefully after 26th Feb..) with often a week between games.

I did think at the start of the window we may have twisted rather than stick, but Gordon immediately improves our options - whether from the bench or starting. Murphy has appeared in every league game I think, so that's an improvement straight away.

I understand the worry about Shelvey leaving but he was a high-earner at an age where this is probably his last decent move. He's only played 34 minutes this season so we aren't exactly going to miss him, and Gordon signing means we can push Willock/Joelinton back into midfield if there's an injury. Not ideal but it is what it is.

Getting £15m for Wood is just madness, a great deal for us. Isak takes his role in the squad - and more - so we've improved there too.

I actually think we're stronger than we were at the start of Jan given who's left given that Isak is now fit and Gordon improves the squad more than 2 aging bit-part players.

The one worry I do have is Wilson's injury record.

7/10 for me, moving to a 10 if we get a CM in.

Yeah none of the other midfielders at the club are suited to the deepest of the 3 role and picking it up off the centerbacks. 

So a injury to Bruno means a complete formation/system change, and considering the current system has served us so well, it has to be considered not ideal to be forced to move away from it.

Not to mention, lack of options also means less subs when wanting to rest people like Bruno when we are ahead in games etc

Edited by alexf

2 minutes ago, alexf said:

Yeah none of the other midfielders at the club are suited to the deepest of the 3 role and picking it up off the centerbacks. 

So a injury to Bruno means a complete formation/system change, and considering the current system has served us so well, it has to be considered not ideal to be forced to move away from it.

Not to mention, lack of options also means less options when wanting to rest people like Bruno when we are ahead in games etc

We haven't had a specific player picking it up off the centre backs for a while now. 

Edited by The Prophet

I think Gordon is a class signing. He’s so well suited to the way we play and has the on field personality to really be something special here. I think £45m will turn out to be great business.

Ashby seems like he has everything on the ball and just needs to sharpen up the defensive side of his game, him being 21 is weirdly more exciting as he’s nearing his peak, so we’ll be able to see pretty soon what he’s all about and if we’ve picked up a disgraceful bargain.

Selling Wood for £15m is incredible. We’ll possibly miss him but the gamble for that price is well worth it.

Selling Shelvey for pennies I don’t understand at all [emoji38]. It’s so mental on the surface that I have to assume there’s something we’re just not being told. Either he’s physically declined rapidly since his injury, we’ve gotten more than a ‘nominal fee’, or something else (hopefully we’re in for a surprise signing out of nowhere).

Removing Shelvey’s sale from the score I’d say 7/10. Great business but we’ve still failed to make the progress which will tip us over into a genuine elite team.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Shelvey was keeping Bruno out of the side for long periods last season. He was definitely more than an adequate back-up option.

Lascelles kept Botman out at the start of the season then.

Eddie likes to ease players in. Isak wouldn't have started for a few weeks had Wilson stayed fit.

6 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I’m not, can’t remember many significant contributions from him in the last two years.

He’s a lazy twat ho could’ve been shit loads better

Sad to hear you were in a coma from at least January to May 2022. 

Whatever you think of him, Howe rated him, played him, got a tune out of him, and if Bruno gets injured there's no one to fill in.

Edited by Kid Icarus